Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

One bad tire = replace all 4?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 06:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One bad tire = replace all 4?

Need to replace a tire on my 2013 A6 3.0. Tread level is too low to fix tire, shop says need to replace all 4. Do you buy into this pitch? all wheel drive cars need to replace all 4 tires if less than half the tread life left?
Old 09-26-2016, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know TireRack will sell one tire at a specified tread depth if your other 3 tires are still good and still have life in them.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Palatine
Need to replace a tire on my 2013 A6 3.0. Tread level is too low to fix tire, shop says need to replace all 4. Do you buy into this pitch? all wheel drive cars need to replace all 4 tires if less than half the tread life left?
The tread level is too low to fix the tire? Is that a legal standard? If so, the only alternative is to plug it yourself ( takes a plug kit and about 10 minutes) if you see that there is a fair amount of useful life left and then prepare to buy tires later. I do not know how worn down your tires are but if the tread is quite low, you might want to purchase 4 new tires before winter.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 44 Posts

All tires on a Quattro system should be within 4/32" of one another. If not, Audi claims the drive train could be damaged. TireRack can shave a new tire to match the other three but if the others are close to the recommended tread replacement depths of 4/32" (2/32" is the legal minimum in most states), it would be better to replace all four. Also keep in mind, as tires wear down, their traction, handling (and comfort) abilities are reduced.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
All tires on a Quattro system should be within 4/32" of one another. If not, Audi claims the drive train could be damaged. TireRack can shave a new tire to match the other three but if the others are close to the recommended tread replacement depths of 4/32" (2/32" is the legal minimum in most states), it would be better to replace all four. Also keep in mind, as tires wear down, their traction, handling (and comfort) abilities are reduced.
+1

If plugging it yourself is not an option and you have enough tread left on the other 3 tires go the shaved tire route from Tire Rack. I used their service last spring after my right front tire ate a raised manhole cover and caused a bubble in the sidewall. Luckily I did not bend a rim, although I did have the left front and rear rims checked just to be sure. My tires only had 9k miles on them so I was not enthralled with the idea of ponying up for 4 new tires. All I had to do was tell Tire Rack I wanted a shaved tire, measure the tread depth of the existing tire, and they sent me one shaved down to the correct depth. Easy peasy! Good Luck...

Shaving at Tire Rack
Old 09-26-2016, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

First of all - Even if the tire is bald, it can be patched or plugged. The shop is ripping you off.

If you accept the shop's premise, then I suggest you go to Craigslist and find a used tire. There are many shops around that deal in used tires. In my area they are all under $25 regardless of size.

I can't in good conscience suggest you buy a new tire and grind off most of the non-renewable resource you paid for.

Perhaps if this were some exotic race tire then maybe it would make sense.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 50pascals
First of all - Even if the tire is bald, it can be patched or plugged. The shop is ripping you off.

If you accept the shop's premise, then I suggest you go to Craigslist and find a used tire. There are many shops around that deal in used tires. In my area they are all under $25 regardless of size.

I can't in good conscience suggest you buy a new tire and grind off most of the non-renewable resource you paid for.

Perhaps if this were some exotic race tire then maybe it would make sense.
The shop isn't ripping him off. Most reputable shops now have standards in which the operate due to lawsuite-happy ppl. The keep a safe buffer between them and idiots who are looking for a nice payday. First time I ran into this I was a little irritated, but then had to think, if it were my business, I'd do the same thing to protect my ***.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

When I bought new tires for my A6 the tire insurance was slightly more expensive but it covers this exact scenario. If a tire isn't reparable they have to replace all 4 under warranty.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by the_duke
When I bought new tires for my A6 the tire insurance was slightly more expensive but it covers this exact scenario. If a tire isn't reparable they have to replace all 4 under warranty.
+1

My local tire shop charged me $15 more per tire for their protection plan and what have you, 3 weeks after replacing all 4 tires one of the tires gets damaged and they replace it for free. The $60 spent on insurance was totally worth getting considering the tires were around $200 each.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 44 Posts

Tire insurance is fine so long as you read the fine print. Most will either prorate or not cover it if the tread is below a certain depth. I've not seen where the the manf. or the tire seller will replace all four if just one is bad. That would be an incredible deal for $60.

If buying a used tire, be sure it is the same brand and model as the one being replaced. Again, be sure the tread depth is within 4/32" of the other three.

Quick Reply: One bad tire = replace all 4?