Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Opticoat Pro Plus install pix on '16 A6

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 09:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What did you pay for the opti coat plus?
is your car tornado grey?
Old 07-27-2015, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fuzzydice
What did you pay for the opti coat plus?
is your car tornado grey?
Nope fuzzydice, it's Florett Silver Metallic.

The Opticoat Pro Plus total cost included a number of added but well needed services prior to Opticoat application for superior results and that put right at 10.5 hours of work over two days into my car for this project.

The Opticoat Pro Plus product used on my car itself for the two coat process with overnight cure of the first coat before the 'Plus' top coat is applied ran: $395.00

The labor at $68 an hour to apply the Opticoat Pro Plus was $306.00

Hand washing and decontaminating all painted surfaces $136.00

After washing and decontamination the full paint correction with clay bar treatment and other modalities was $408

Removing all four wheels plus thorough cleaning and then coating each wheel face and coating entire inner barrels as well, plus brake calipers with Opticoat Pro Plus and the reset each wheel to factory torque settings of 90ft/lbs back on each axle cost: $136.00 total

I'd gotten another quote for a different also reputable outfit in Scottsdale for $1550 plus $115 extra for wheels but the just coated the faces and spokes of each wheel and all while the wheels were still on the car and didn't bother to remove them and do the job right by coating the entire inner and outer wheel surfaces, plus the brake calipers after thorough decontamination and cleaning of each piece!

(That right there sealed the deal on me going to Rolling Arts and told me all I needed to know about their passion and focus on going that extra mile.)

Cleaning all interior surfaces and then applying Opticoat Pro Plus to all of the glossy piano black interior trim and all glossy Dark Walnut wood trim for best permanent gloss and scratch prevention plus cleaning and vacuuming full interior and cleaning all glass inside and out : $68.00 total

Total of all conbined items for full job was $1,450.00

Not bad at all when you consider everything they did and watched the extra mile this professional crew went to on my car, including putting Opticoat Pro Plus on all the interior trim pieces, which were all touches they did not have to do, but did so to make it a very complete job that really shows.

You gotta see the Opticoat on the center console and on the Glossy Dark Walnut wood trim in person to do it justice. The shine and clarity is knockout and really looks pristine while really helping to minimize any scratches or swirls on those high use pieces.

But I'll tell you, the effect on those complex designed 20" Bi-color 5 star polished and painted alloy wheels is stunning in person! Not to mention making keeping them clean and free of brake dust hardly any effort at all.

Just for saving me the grind of cleaning those wheels the next 4 years, I would gladly have paid the full price for that alone seeing now how stellar it worked out. And the finish is just perfect, basically, and there is literally nothing left for me to do to the body and never have to wax it once going forward with very easy maintenance.

The guys at Rolling Arts Motorsport have the first class rep I had heard about from a number of local car guy sources for a good reason ... They really do go the extra mile and do the job right!

Hulamau

Last edited by Hulamau; 07-27-2015 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have scheduled to get mine Xpel Ultimate full wrap hand cut and wrapped around edges plus Opticoat this Thursday. The total cost will be $5,000 for the Xpel and $550 for the Opticoat (exterior). This guy comes from Cleveland and services the Porsche, Audi and BMW in Pittsburgh. The local competitor charges around $6,000 for the Xpel and is booked for 3 months. I can't wait to have it done. :-)
Old 07-27-2015, 05:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

HULAMAU, SWEET RIDE.
Thanks for all the info, very helpful
Old 07-27-2015, 10:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Inyoury
I have scheduled to get mine Xpel Ultimate full wrap hand cut and wrapped around edges plus Opticoat this Thursday. The total cost will be $5,000 for the Xpel and $550 for the Opticoat (exterior). This guy comes from Cleveland and services the Porsche, Audi and BMW in Pittsburgh. The local competitor charges around $6,000 for the Xpel and is booked for 3 months. I can't wait to have it done. :-)
Inyoury, it sounds like you are getting Opticoat Pro without the Plus top coat, is that so? They should be able to put it right over the XPEL Ultimate soon after that apply the XPEL but you might ask them if it isn't better for the XPEL to cure for a day to twobefoer the OPticoat unless they are confident the OPticoat will still allow the XPEL to breath and get rid of the excess moisture the first couple days?

You can speed that process up by putting the car under more heat and direct sun the better right after the XPEL part is finished ... to bring out any remnant fluid used to adhere the polyurethane. At first, it can leave a some fine bubbles under the XPEL layer which will resolve and disappear as the plastic XPEL layer literally breathes and allows the moisture to escape leaving a very smooth finish. Anyway, ideally I would want the Opticoat to go on top of it then after the plastic is smooth and zero bubbles are left.

But if you drive it out into the world for any period after the XPEL and before the OPticoat had been applied and had time to cure overnight and it gets rained on or wind, dust or pollution etc .. they would have to do a certain amount of prep on the XPEL too just to insure it is perfectly clean and uniform before Opti-coating it.

The second coating of the 'Plus' layer is really worth it. The smoothness and glossy shine it adds over the already respectable look of Opticoat Pro is worth it in my view. Besides be sure have them do the wheels too inside and out with Opticoat and insure that they coat the full front grill and all rubber and exposed black plastic on the car and all painted surfaces including under the rocker sills and under the front and rear valences of the car as well.

For mine, covering the entire front half with XPEL ultimate including full front end hood, side fenders, side mirrors, each rocker side sill and under the rear bumpers where the rear wheel rash would blow up cost $1,425 plus about the same for the two coat Opticoat Pro plus so just at 3 Grand with sales tax for the whole car being well protected.

Anyway, yours will be like new in five years too! Best wishes with the application.

Hula
Old 07-28-2015, 04:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

does the xpel have to go on first then the opticoat?
Old 07-28-2015, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

As some may know, my car is in the body shop getting repairs and paint on the right side and hood. When that's done, I take it to my detailer (one of the top 10 in the country). I spoke with him and he is going to replace the Xpel Ultimate and then the Opti-Coat Pro over all the repaired areas. He has also agreed to add the Plus coat over the entire car including wheels. The Plus didn't exist in 2013 when I had the PRO installed so I'm looking forward to the added gloss improvement. He will also do a full detail in and out.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Yes. Think of the Xpel Ultimate as a second "skin" with it's own clear coat layer like the car's paint. The film can be waxed or coated with one of the paint protection products like Opti-Coat.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yep the XPEL Ultimate does not stick well on top of Opticoat laid down first , especially with the new Plus top coat which is incredibly smooth and slick, wiping off bugs off the Opticoat treated XPEL front if my car after the two hour trek through the mountain back home last week was effortless, just a microfiber cloth and hardly any elbow grease .. Just a light once over and the bug splatter slips right off!

You'll love the Plus layer too snagitseven.

Hulamau

Last edited by Hulamau; 07-28-2015 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Hulamau
Inyoury, it sounds like you are getting Opticoat Pro without the Plus top coat, is that so? They should be able to put it right over the XPEL Ultimate soon after that apply the XPEL but you might ask them if it isn't better for the XPEL to cure for a day to twobefoer the OPticoat unless they are confident the OPticoat will still allow the XPEL to breath and get rid of the excess moisture the first couple days?

Hula
The guys has been doing this for over 12 years and he was highly recommended by other dealerships. getting the car fully wrapped is a lot more than just the front half. He quoted me for full front with headlights , side rocker panels, side mirrors and rear bumper trunk loading area for $1,350. To do a hand cut wrap and tucked along the edges cost a lot more... He will use heat lamps to get the extra moisture out before applying the Opticoat. His business had the Opticoat and Modesta tested on Xpel by a lab and the Opticoat had better results, (at least that is what he is claiming). I will ask him about the second coat. I have been babying my car for the past two months. Only put 850 miles on the car after nearly 3 months of ownership. After the wrap I will go on more enjoyable rides...

I thought about the inside, but from my previous cars I have owned, the interior has always held up nice without much damage. Every car I have sold after ownership, the people who buy my cars all claim the car still smells new and looks new from the inside and out. So I hope that continues. I will ask him about the front grill. I had trouble cleaning the bugs from the grill two days ago when I washed my car with organic soap. With the S-Line package, the front bumper seemed to attract more water marks, so hopefully the wrap and opticoat will take care of that.

I find the organic soap concentrate from Amway put into a spray bottle diluted with water does a great job of cleaning most things off without needing to scrub at all.

Thanks for the info Halamau!

Quick Reply: Opticoat Pro Plus install pix on '16 A6