Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Passenger airbag on message

Old 02-21-2017, 10:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger airbag on message

Hi,

I own a MY2013 A6 C7 and over time I've noticed that compared to others C7s I've seen in real life or different videos mine does not show the "passenger airbag on" warning message when I start the engine.

Could this be a fault or some models don't have this warning?

Also, my car doesn't have the passenger airbag off light above the A/C controls or at least it never went on.

Thanks.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by traianvt
Hi,

I own a MY2013 A6 C7 and over time I've noticed that compared to others C7s I've seen in real life or different videos mine does not show the "passenger airbag on" warning message when I start the engine.

Also, my car doesn't have the passenger airbag off light above the A/C controls or at least it never went on.

Thanks.
What happens when someone sits on the front right seat?
Old 02-22-2017, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi,

Thanks.
I have the same symptom. There is a light near controls that should be lit on but it never does when no one is in the passenger seat and car is running.

I did ask the dealer they said "we didn't find any faults".

I then checked when someone was in the seat and i think from factory the light is disabled for whatever reason.

This is why i think its working properly:

- When i am in the car and i get in, my cluster gives me light to put on the seatbelt and it dings for me to do so until i have put on the belt and audible warning and light disappears.
- If a passenger is in the car the same thing happens, and if i put my seat belt on it continues to ding until the passenger puts on their belt.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I vaguely remember something like this.

Try this when you get into your car next, leave the door open and start the car. Listen to your car beep at you for however long you want that your door is open (rolls eyes), then on the left side of your steering wheel, press the right arrow. I usually press this so my car stops screaming that the door is open and then on the dash it says something about the passenger airbag being off or something like that.

This post may not actually help anyone.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 178 Likes on 158 Posts

Hi,

Thanks.
The answer to this as posted on another forum is that in some markets (in this case Germany) the facility to be able to switch off the passenger airbag is a chargeable option. If you cannot turn it off then there is no need to tell you if it is on or off because it always on
Old 02-23-2017, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by John Simcox
The answer to this as posted on another forum is that in some markets (in this case Germany) the facility to be able to switch off the passenger airbag is a chargeable option. If you cannot turn it off then there is no need to tell you if it is on or off because it always on
Maybe if posters ever worked out the value of putting their location in their posts then it would enable users to give information that is pertinent to the version of Audi that is in question?
Old 02-23-2017, 08:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

In my car (2012 A6 Canadian) this light is also always off. However, in my manual there is absolutely nothing about this particular light and there is no mention about the feature that turns the passenger's air bag off. So, I assume this feature simply doesn't exist in my car.

Also, I recently rented 2017 A7 (also canadian) and this light was on with an empty passenger seat. Probably it was added in the facelift.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dmaudi6
In my car (2012 A6 Canadian) this light is also always off. However, in my manual there is absolutely nothing about this particular light and there is no mention about the feature that turns the passenger's air bag off. So, I assume this feature simply doesn't exist in my car.

Also, I recently rented 2017 A7 (also canadian) and this light was on with an empty passenger seat. Probably it was added in the facelift.
I find in canada this option is always enabled but the ac console light isnt enabled until around 2014-2015 models.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

How do you know that the feature is working if the light is always off and the manual doesn't even mention that passenger airbag will not deploy if nobody there?
Also, if the feature is there, the manual must state what the lowest weight is when the airbug is off. As I understand, the airbug should be off if someone is lighter than certan weight is in the seat (like a kid or if the seat is empty). At least this is how this feature worked in my other cars.

It's also interesting what manual says about this feature for 2017 A6 cars where the light is working. Does the manual describe it in details or not? If it does, then I would say that the feature does not exist in 2012 A6 where it's not described.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dmaudi6
How do you know that the feature is working if the light is always off and the manual doesn't even mention that passenger airbag will not deploy if nobody there?
Also, if the feature is there, the manual must state what the lowest weight is when the airbug is off. As I understand, the airbug should be off if someone is lighter than certan weight is in the seat (like a kid or if the seat is empty). At least this is how this feature worked in my other cars.

It's also interesting what manual says about this feature for 2017 A6 cars where the light is working. Does the manual describe it in details or not? If it does, then I would say that the feature does not exist in 2012 A6 where it's not described.
I will check the manual but if i am remembering correctly it did say that the airbag disabled light should be on when no one is sitting.

I think that feature maybe completely disabled for cdn market until 2015 or so.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Passenger airbag on message