Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Passenger airbag on/off switch with key in glove box

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger airbag on/off switch with key in glove box

Hi guys, I just noticed that the 2016 model does not have a switch to turn on/off the front passenger airbag. My 2012 model had it in Korea, but not my current one in the U.S.

I am wondering if the U.S. Model ever had one or they did away with it???

Thanks

Sometimes I let my son sit in the front going around the block with his race car seat there and want the airbag off.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

None of my Audis since 2000 have such a switch in the U.S. It's all about our regulations.

It's also not safe to have a child seat in the passenger seat. Even around the block. Not positive but in some states it may even be illegal.

Last edited by snagitseven; 09-06-2015 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
None of my Audis since 2000 have such a switch in the U.S. It's all about our regulations.

It's also not safe to have a child seat in the passenger seat. Even around the block. Not positive but in some states it may even be illegal.
Thanks for the info. It's allowed in other areas of the world and in the current state I am in. We have a special seat for children that is meant for the front seat. It is tested and approved by TUV SUD front, rear seating as well as commercial airlines. But usually he rides with the wife in the rear next to his little sister in different car seats.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

With the air bag activated, it wouldn't be wise to have a child in the front seat in any case. Even if it was off, everything I've read says the safest position is in the back seat.

The Car Seat Lady ? Where should I install my child?s car seat? Which spot is safest?
Old 09-07-2015, 02:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well since the airbag can't be deactivated then I don't have much of a choice. I wouldn't think about putting my child in the front until he is bigger.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Inyoury
Well since the airbag can't be deactivated then I don't have much of a choice. I wouldn't think about putting my child in the front until he is bigger.
Of course. I wouldn't let my wife sit in the front passenger seat until she was 5' 4" tall (or 32 yrs old, whichever came first).
Old 09-07-2015, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Standard on all Audis sold over here, most other makes as well. In Sweden, the consensus is that the safest place for a small infant is in a baby seat resting on the dash facing backward in the front passenger seat. This has been proven by a lot of research. Not necessarily in terms of side impact protection (where the middle of the back seat is most protected, if facing backward), but overall when you also consider the driver's ability to keep an eye on the kid and frontal impact. Of course, if there are more than one adult in the car, the safest is to have the baby (facing backward!) in the middle of the back seat with the second adult also in the back seat, but how often does that happen?
Old 09-07-2015, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Most cars have smart air bags. Adult= Big Bang. Light weight= small bang. Less than x pounds = no bang.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
Most cars have smart air bags. Adult= Big Bang. Light weight= small bang. Less than x pounds = no bang.
My wife of 24 years must be less than x pounds. 😉
Old 09-07-2015, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mickelin
In Sweden, the consensus is that the safest place for a small infant is in a baby seat resting on the dash facing backward in the front passenger seat.
Studies show otherwise in the U.S. See the link in post #3.

And this one:

The Safest Seat in the Car: You Might Be Surprised | Esurance Blog

Quick Reply: Passenger airbag on/off switch with key in glove box