Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Passenger window stops

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 01:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger window stops

My 2012 A6 Avant C7 has a problem with the passenger side window.
When opening or closing it stops after 5 cm. it can then be activated again and moves another 5cm. so it will fully open and fully close, but you need to operate the window switch for about 10 times.
This is what I have done and examined:
- both switches (passenger and driver door) do the same
- Window does not block because of friction (it would move back open if that was the case)
- I opened up the doorpanel and examined the plastic gliders, they seemed in one piece and not broken
- I disconnected the window motor unit from the window regulator and even when the motor does not have to drive the window, it will stop after 0,5 sec. (that eliminates the "to much friction" story)
Any help would be very much appreceated.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-18-2016, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

If you can swap the drivers side motor to the passengers side and it still exhibits the problem you have eliminated the motor as the source of the problem. However, I am not sure if this is possible as I do not know if the motors are the same part numbers. If they are the same then you could in theory just connect the motors to the opposite sides to test this out. Make sense?
Old 05-23-2016, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by DanfZX14
If you can swap the drivers side motor to the passengers side and it still exhibits the problem you have eliminated the motor as the source of the problem. However, I am not sure if this is possible as I do not know if the motors are the same part numbers. If they are the same then you could in theory just connect the motors to the opposite sides to test this out. Make sense?
I was thinking of doing this yes, but I hate ripping the door open on both sides.. Guess it is the way to go.

thanx
Old 05-28-2016, 01:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Update: I swapped the electro motor with a new one and it does not exactly the same. So I have now excluded the following:
- to much resistance
- failed motor
- defect switch
- defect window guides

Anyone any ideas where to look next? I have no clue what the problem might be!
Old 05-28-2016, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just guessing, but I suspect there is a module that drives the motor and senses current. More current is equal to more friction and the module causes a motor stop. So the module has somehow failed or there is a partial short in the wiring to the motor. This is pure speculation on my part since I know nothing about the mechanism in the A6. Good luck. Let us know what you find.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 95 Likes on 44 Posts

Just for grins, try this:

- open the window: hold button it all the way down, hold button up for a 4-5 seconds
- close the window, pull the button until it goes all the way up, hold button up for a 4-5 seconds
Old 06-13-2016, 03:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Just for grins, try this:

- open the window: hold button it all the way down, hold button up for a 4-5 seconds
- close the window, pull the button until it goes all the way up, hold button up for a 4-5 seconds

hmm, A little more credits would be nice here! Of course that was the first thing I tried, but to no avail.
I do not see any errors in Vagcom, or any programmable parameters for the windows. Any suggestions for where to look?
Old 06-13-2016, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 95 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mike1305
hmm, A little more credits would be nice here! Of course that was the first thing I tried, but to no avail.
Well, you didn't mention that you tried that in your post.