Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Please Help!! Trying to choose between 2 C7's!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help!! Trying to choose between 2 C7's!!

Hey AW!

I'm a brand new member and a first time poster - just converted from BMW, as I've recently fallen for the C7 A6...what a beautiful machine. Though I really do miss my E46 M3!

Anyway, I'm hoping for some help/advice from you guys regarding two '12 A6's that I'm torn between. I'll try and keep this post as short as possible!

I'm from Seattle and have found 2 C7's that I really like in Orange County. Prices in my area are quite a bit higher than I've seen around the country, so I've decided to save a few grand and make the trip down to CA to pick up my new (to me) toy! Already looking forward to the 1100 mile drive back home with my new-found friend.

Here's the dilemma - they have two Certified C7's on the lot that I'm really interested in, there are pro's and con's to both and they are offering the same price for both...hoping the AW community can help me out with some advice/info/suggestions/red flags/personal experience/etc. Here are the basics:

Choice #1:
2012, 3.0, Brilliant Black on Black, Prem Plus, 19" Sport Pkg, Side Assist
Pro's:
- Love the color combo (but torn between it and Choice #2)
- 31k miles, so 20k miles/16 months left on Factory Warranty, then CPO warranty kicks in
- Has the 19" sport pkg wheels, which I like (but don't necessarily love)
- Carfax shows that the maintenance was done at the proper times, with not a lot of major work done. And yes, yes, I know Carfax should NOT be used to help make a decision by any means, but it does have *some* value to check out the things that have been reported to them. I'll certainly be looking at the maintenance jobs performed in more detail at the dealership.

Con's:
- It's not Prestige
- No LED headlights (this is kinda big for me...should it be? Damn I love the look of them!)
- Not sure if I like the black/black better than...

Choice #2:
2012, 3.0, Ibis White on Black, Prestige, 18" Sport Pkg, Full LEDs
Pro's:
- Love this color combo too (maybe more than black/black?)
- Prestige pkg, where #1 is P+
- FULL LEDs!!
- Has the Sport Pkg, which I want, but bummer it's with 18's. Maybe I can save these as winter shoes and buy some 19" or 20" OEMs for spring/summer time? Do other people do this?

Con's:
- Really, the biggest con in my mind is that it has 47k miles...way above average and leaves me only 2k miles (after I drive home) left on the Factory Warranty and then just over 2 years for the CPO warranty. Should this concern me as much as I think it may?
- 18's instead of 19's...but again, I could do a winter/summer swap I guess
- Again, it's taken with a grain of salt, but there's a LOT of Carfax-reported service activity on this one. It's been brought in several times for various services...but maybe this isn't necessarily a bad thing? Meaning they've potentially worked out all the kinks and fixed the things that most likely could/would have gone wrong? Really interested to hear your guys' thoughts on this piece.

Sorry for the LONG post from a AW rookie. I really appreciate the help and advice, and I hope this spurs a good conversation. I am flying to CA on Saturday morning, so I'd love to hear what the AW community thinks about my little dilemma. I should note that it's a good dilemma to be in Can't wait to officially be a C7 owner!!!

Thanks all!
Attached Images   
Old 09-16-2014, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#2. I've had one black/black car (08 A6) and that will be my last. The Audi white is very nice and the LED's are must have. Prestige just finishes the package. I'd want a detailed list of services on #2.

Too bad you're looking now, mine will most likely be up for sale after the first part of the year as I'll be retiring and won't need two rides. I've got 17k on mine.

Last edited by PJRed2008; 09-16-2014 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think you should go premium+ just based on the mileage. They aren't worlds apart in options and 30K miles is a lot less miles for the same price car almost spec'd the same.

If you average 15k a year, that's 2 years longer you'll enjoy the premium+.

Mileage has a huge impact on resale...LED headlights not so much.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

There are a few prestige features that I would not want to miss anymore, LED, advanced key, 4 zone A/C and the vented seats. With a good aftermarket warranty and if a detailed look at the service record doesn't show serious issues I would go #2. Keep the 18" for winter and get some nice 19" or 20" for summer.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

I wouldn't get a C7 that wasn't a prestige. The extras are a very nice touch and really make the car imo.

I am not wild about the mileage but I can understand it. My yearly driving mileage has doubled since I bought my C7.

I am pretty sure that the CPO warranty is 6 years or 100,000 miles, so you should still be covered for several more years regardless of how much you drive.

Black is an impossible color to keep nice looking unless you take to a professional detailer once a year.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'd go for the Prestige, but maybe not the one you found. I also like very much buying from a Private seller and you can consider what PJRed2008 has to offer. It's low mileage, right nearby in WA and you can be quite sure it wasn't in a flood, accident or something. If I'm buying used, which I do, I always want it fully loaded. LED headlights, Adaptive Cruise Control, Side Assist, Nav, maybe FLIR night-time vision, etc.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:31 AM
Banned

As the others have said, I wouldn't get one that wasn't a Prestige. I also wouldn't get one that wasn't black. Out of those 2, I'd take neither. Keep looking for a better one.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

True on higher prices in WA (Seattle here as well)...
I was on the same boat like you for the last 6 months, been watching the market for a year+. I watched inventory nationwide.

I stumbled on the used CPO 2012 Prestige, opted as if I ordered it new, low miles etc (University Audi).
Did I pay extra for a local pristine car? Yep! Is it 100% what I want? Yep!
Good luck with the search and I agree with all of the above votes to go Prestige. The only thing that pisses me off about Prestige/LED is the fact that I cannot see it rolling down the road as I drive I feel deprived. C7A6 are few and far between in general...

Ben at University is spectacular to deal with--drop him a note if you decide to search and wait for a local one: benATuvwaudi.com
Old 09-16-2014, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Janello
I think you should go premium+ just based on the mileage. They aren't worlds apart in options and 30K miles is a lot less miles for the same price car almost spec'd the same.

If you average 15k a year, that's 2 years longer you'll enjoy the premium+.

Mileage has a huge impact on resale...LED headlights not so much.
Good thoughts here, and the worrier in me agrees with you - less mileage (though it's 17k mile difference, 30k P+ vs 47k Prestige) and longer warranty life definitely carry a lot of weight for me. I won't be averaging 15k a year - it'll be a 3rd car so mostly for fun drives on the weekend and some occasional commuting to work (45 mile RT commute).
Old 09-16-2014, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
There are a few prestige features that I would not want to miss anymore, LED, advanced key, 4 zone A/C and the vented seats. With a good aftermarket warranty and if a detailed look at the service record doesn't show serious issues I would go #2. Keep the 18" for winter and get some nice 19" or 20" for summer.
Thanks for the input - so you're suggesting a supplemental aftermarket warranty in addition to the CPO warranty? Or are you suggesting to get that for when the CPO warranty expires?

Yes, definitely want to get a good look at exactly what was done.

Good call on the wheels/tires...it'd be nice to have a winter set that I wouldn't have to worry about too much...

Quick Reply: Please Help!! Trying to choose between 2 C7's!!