Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Possible Wheel Bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Possible Wheel Bearing?

Driving around yesterday noticed a significant noise I hadn't heard before. On the highway at speeds of around 75 there is a humming noise coming from the left front wheel area that is periodic, with about 3 seconds from each 'hum'. From reading other threads and info about wheel bearings, the dealer supposedly won't check if it is the bearing unless they know for sure.

Ironically the car is going in for its 35k Monday so I can kill two birds with one stone, if it does indeed need replacing. The drive alone is about 1 hour..

Are bearings a warranty item or no? Also, has anyone else had a bearing go out on a daily driven car for work/errands at 33k miles?
Old 11-27-2015, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

IF it is a wheel bearing I would be extremely dissapointed about a failure at 33k. However, if it is a bearing it should be covered under the standard warranty. PLEASE be sure to follow up and let us know what the problem is once diagnosed.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both my front wheel bearings failed at roughly 25K; dealer first replaced the steering rack (at a cost of nearly $3,500) before realizing it was the bearings. When I went in the second time after the rack replacement has not solved the problem, the tech who sat with me diagnosed it as the bearings about 5 seconds into hearing the noise. He was pretty confident that these came from a bad batch of bearings and that I am not the only one with premature failure with so little miles. For whats its worth, my car was sold in February of 2014 and I believe build date is in October of November of 2013.

On my end, the sound was a buzzing/winding/humming sound that started at about 45 mph and increased in pitch and being most pronounced at about 75 MPH. If I was to play with the steering wheel position joystick, the sound would go away but will return once I stopped moving the column around.

Unfortunately, since these bearings are pretty damn sturdy and big, the standard lift-car-shake-wheel test does not quite work.

Last edited by McFuzz; 11-27-2015 at 10:43 PM.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

How does the steering wheel position interact with wheel bearings?
Old 11-28-2015, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by McFuzz
Both my front wheel bearings failed at roughly 25K; dealer first replaced the steering rack (at a cost of nearly $3,500) before realizing it was the bearings. When I went in the second time after the rack replacement has not solved the problem, the tech who sat with me diagnosed it as the bearings about 5 seconds into hearing the noise. He was pretty confident that these came from a bad batch of bearings and that I am not the only one with premature failure with so little miles. For whats its worth, my car was sold in February of 2014 and I believe build date is in October of November of 2013.

On my end, the sound was a buzzing/winding/humming sound that started at about 45 mph and increased in pitch and being most pronounced at about 75 MPH.
I have had a slight noise in turning the wheel at low speeds, sounds something along the lines of a fine pitched whine when the wheel is turned. This has been going on for 20k miles or so. I chalked it up to electronic steering.

McFuzz, your speed and noise from 45 to 75 is exactly what I'm experiencing. Build on my car is June 2013 and was bought with 23 miles on it mid-September '13.

If this is the only thing to go out so early I'll be content. This car has been my most reliable vehicle yet.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
How does the steering wheel position interact with wheel bearings?
Believe the steering rack simply acted as an amplification device - that's really the only explanation I have considering the noise completely went away after the bearings have been replaced.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by DasA6
Also, has anyone else had a bearing go out on a daily driven car for work/errands at 33k miles?
Mine went at 51,000 miles. They should be covered under warranty but I wouldn't be surprised if the dealer tries everything else first before changing the bearings. I did the same (rotate tires, rebalance, etc) but in the end it was the bearings. Pretty easy fix for a DIY but you should be covered. Also, my driver side was making the noise but when I changed the passenger side, I discovered that was starting to go as well.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by McFuzz
Believe the steering rack simply acted as an amplification device...
?? Is that what the service adviser said? With the rack isolated from the steering knuckle with four tie rod ends? And the noise was speed dependent?

Glad you got it fixed. Sure sounds like a case of dealer service dept "replace-itis"
Old 12-01-2015, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

SA says no wheel bearings are to blame for the noise, but the tires are nearing their end of life thus creating the hum.

Apparently they tested the car to 35 mph on the rack and found no fault with the bearing. I was told my tires are coming to the end of their life when they were rotated at 31k, but was estimated by the tire shop to have another 5-6k left.

On the contrary, $600 later the car is past the 35k service.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Worldwidebeagle
?? Is that what the service adviser said? With the rack isolated from the steering knuckle with four tie rod ends? And the noise was speed dependent?

Glad you got it fixed. Sure sounds like a case of dealer service dept "replace-itis"
No - that's my assessment; I can't see how it could be otherwise though... The sound was there before the bearings were replaced and would go away when I adjust the steering wheel position (while driving) but will return once I let go of the joystick.

Sound ain't there anymore after the bearings been replaced so... I guess that does not leave many options