Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A6 / S6 / RS 6 > A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 05:03 PM   #1
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 269041
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: north nj
Posts: 136
Default pothole damage

hit a weired pothole at an EZpass toll booth on I95 at 10mph. Before I hit it I thought I was slow enuf so I should be ok.

got something similar to this on the left front tire

Click the image to open in full size.

I have the 18inch OEM conti pro contact tire with 18k miles.


the rim might be slightly bent but I can't tell at least.

Time for a new set of tires? should I be concerned about the rim?

ps: my tire pressure was at 35f/32r as suggested by manual.
__________________
2012 prestige a6, cold weather, full LED, driver assistance.
q5q7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:06 PM   #2
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 228095
 
tenspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Honeoye New York USA
Posts: 2,006
Default

Have the tire shop take the tire off and run the rim on the balance machine. They can check the run out and advise.
__________________
As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible,
but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:09 PM   #3
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 22753
 
snagitseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SE MA
Posts: 7,367
Default

The tire is probably gone - if it looks like the photo, the sidewall is deformed and will need to be replaced.
As to the rim, it's often difficult to tell by eye if it's bent. If placed on a Hunter Road Force Balencer, the operator should be able to tell if it's not true. If so, a wheel straightener specialist can get it back to round for about $125-$150. An out of round wheel (or tire) will cause vibrations at speed.
__________________

- 2013 A6 3.0T Prestige, Quartz Gray/Black, 19" Sport, Driver Assist, LED headlights,Cold Weather and B&O;
Bridgestone RE970AS tires; XPel Ultimate full front, mirrors and rocker panels, Opti-coat Pro
- 2002 allroad 2.7t - 13y/49K mi and still like new
- 2009 A4 3.2 Prestige w/Nav (sold at 4y/48K mi)
- 2001 A6 2.7t (sold at 8y/98K mi)
snagitseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:16 PM   #4
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 269041
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: north nj
Posts: 136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
Have the tire shop take the tire off and run the rim on the balance machine. They can check the run out and advise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snagitseven View Post
The tire is probably gone - if it looks like the photo, the sidewall is deformed and will need to be replaced.
As to the rim, it's often difficult to tell by eye if it's bent. If placed on a Hunter Road Force Balencer, the operator should be able to tell if it's not true. If so, a wheel straightener specialist can get it back to round for about $125-$150. An out of round wheel (or tire) will cause vibrations at speed.
Thank you. I found this installer in my area

http://www.tirerack.com/installer/In...=0&y=0&place=0

to have road force balancer.


I guess I'll just order the some ultra high performance all seasons and have the installer install them. I guess it is ok not to use Audi dealer for this?
__________________
2012 prestige a6, cold weather, full LED, driver assistance.

Last edited by q5q7; 02-04-2014 at 06:42 PM. Reason: fix url
q5q7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:16 PM   #5
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 267421
 
Mike_L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by q5q7 View Post
ps: my tire pressure was at 35f/32r as suggested by manual.
That pressure is wrong. The placard on my door jamb says 38F/41R for the stock 18's. I just corrected them today before driving down to AC.
__________________
2011 BMW 750Li Xdrive; My beater project.
No Carbon filters, Burger JB4 N63 Stage 2 Beta, ExhaustMeister.

Big power for a fraction of the cost of the big names. Its what I do.

Previously:
2013 Audi A6 3.0T Prestige (390hp), 2012 BMW X5M (630hp), 2012 GMC Yukon Denali (430hp), 2011 Cadillac CTS-V (650hp), 2008 Jeep SRT8 (550hp), 2007 Chrysler 300C SRT8 (490hp),
2002 Dinan BMW 540i (330hp), 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (360hp), 1996 Pontiac Trans Am (440hp), 1993 Chevy Camaro (180hp), 1998 Plymouth Neon (196hp), 1990 Ford Mustang LX (275hp)
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:24 PM   #6
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 165169
 
fEArmE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 301
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
That pressure is wrong. The placard on my door jamb says 38F/41R for the stock 18's. I just corrected them today before driving down to AC.
That's what i put on my tires. I prefer to have higher pressure to prevent sh*t like this that may potentially happen to my car, especially in NJ.
fEArmE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:27 PM   #7
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 269041
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: north nj
Posts: 136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
That pressure is wrong. The placard on my door jamb says 38F/41R for the stock 18's. I just corrected them today before driving down to AC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fEArmE View Post
That's what i put on my tires. I prefer to have higher pressure to prevent sh*t like this that may potentially happen to my car, especially in NJ.

sigh.. lesson learned. Manual says 38F/41R is for under load condition. But if that deals with potholes better I am all for it.
__________________
2012 prestige a6, cold weather, full LED, driver assistance.
q5q7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:08 PM   #8
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 22753
 
snagitseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SE MA
Posts: 7,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by q5q7 View Post
sigh.. lesson learned. Manual says 38F/41R is for under load condition. But if that deals with potholes better I am all for it.
Actually the door sticker is for max load (driver, three passengers and luggage). The manual's PSI for normal load is for driver, and passenger. If you use the max load PSI, there will actually be less flex in the sidewalls to absorb potholes increasing the chance for damage. I usually go a lb or two above normal load as a compromise between ride and handling and reserve full load PSI for when going on a trip with a full trunk of luggage.
__________________

- 2013 A6 3.0T Prestige, Quartz Gray/Black, 19" Sport, Driver Assist, LED headlights,Cold Weather and B&O;
Bridgestone RE970AS tires; XPel Ultimate full front, mirrors and rocker panels, Opti-coat Pro
- 2002 allroad 2.7t - 13y/49K mi and still like new
- 2009 A4 3.2 Prestige w/Nav (sold at 4y/48K mi)
- 2001 A6 2.7t (sold at 8y/98K mi)
snagitseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:11 PM   #9
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 269041
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: north nj
Posts: 136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snagitseven View Post
Actually the door sticker is for max load (driver, three passengers and luggage). The manual's PSI for normal load is for driver, and passenger. If you use the max load PSI, there will actually be less flex in the sidewalls to absorb potholes increasing the chance for damage. I usually go a lb or two above normal load as a compromise between ride and handling and reserve full load PSI for when going on a trip with a full trunk of luggage.
gotcha,

just placed an order on 4xconti DWS on tire rack shipped to the installer with the Hunter Road Force Balencer. http://www.tirerack.com/installer/In...=0&y=0&place=0

Hopefully everything is good soon.

ps: i like the DWS having road hazard warranty!
__________________
2012 prestige a6, cold weather, full LED, driver assistance.

Last edited by q5q7; 02-04-2014 at 07:14 PM. Reason: add
q5q7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:21 PM   #10
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 22753
 
snagitseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SE MA
Posts: 7,367
Default

Excellent choice. The DWS is a great UHP A/S tire. They have a slightly more compliant, softer sidewall than other UHP A/S tires which can help with those potholes. Just stay away from curbs.
Be sure to get that wheel straightened if it turns out to be bent.
__________________

- 2013 A6 3.0T Prestige, Quartz Gray/Black, 19" Sport, Driver Assist, LED headlights,Cold Weather and B&O;
Bridgestone RE970AS tires; XPel Ultimate full front, mirrors and rocker panels, Opti-coat Pro
- 2002 allroad 2.7t - 13y/49K mi and still like new
- 2009 A4 3.2 Prestige w/Nav (sold at 4y/48K mi)
- 2001 A6 2.7t (sold at 8y/98K mi)
snagitseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
audi, damage, hitting, module, pothole, q7, transmission


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:50 AM.


Copyright 2014 AudiWorld.com Audi Enthusiast Community