Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Pothole Damange to my Audi

Old 01-24-2014, 10:28 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I have observed over the years in the NYC metro area that in years having cold but relatively snow-free winters the roads are in much better condition come spring than they are in years when winter brings lots of snowfalls (like this one). Once the plows rip up even a little piece of the surface the water, freezing, etc. routine certainly contributes to and worsens the situation by making the potholes bigger. In my cooperative we have the contractor drizzle some hot sealing stuff on the blacktop in late summer to keep moisture/water from getting in where there are cracks. I do agree there can be lots of causes of potholes aside from plows. On the closest major street near me there were no potholes the day before this past week’s snow storm. By yesterday in a three block stretch there are at least 20 or 30 “new” potholes that were not previously there, even though we had been through some pretty cold periods, then warm ones, then cold again before the snow. In this situation the plowing really did make a mess out of the roadway. It is like a mine field now, in a matter of one day.
You should see Nassau county. There are chunks missing from the roads. Somebody didn't know how to plow properly and seriously screwed up a lot of major roads. I've never seen them this bad before.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_L
You should see Nassau county. There are chunks missing from the roads. Somebody didn't know how to plow properly and seriously screwed up a lot of major roads. I've never seen them this bad before.
I was walking to the MetroNorth station one snowy day a few years ago on the way to work in Manhattan (I am retired now) and a municipal snow plow came from behind, rumbling and making loud banging noises as the plow blade bounced up on down setting off sparks and tearing at the aggregate road surface. I paused to let it pass (a few feet away) and suddenly the plow caught a three-foot long section of curbing and tosed it right on the sidewalk in front of me where I would havw been had I not stopped. Sometimes I think these guys have zero training or ablity.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
Don't file a claim with your insurance. This is what will happen:

They will give you bare-minimum to replace the wheels, and then they will pro-rate the remaining life of the tires. The total they calculate might not even be enough to pass your deductible, in which case they deny the claim and you get nothing. THEN, they will raise your premiums for filing a claim.

I know, because that's what they did to me when I hit a pothole here after a tropical storm blew through.

Unless the pothole was previously reported to the city/county/whatever you won't stand a chance of collecting anything. You basically have to prove they knew about it and deliberately did nothing to fix it.

I spoke with my insurance company. They are covered. I just have to pay my deductible and they will pay the rest for my new wheels.

I did try the "professional" wheel straightener. And the wheels are better then they were. But I'm still feeling minute vibrations in the wheels at higher speeds. I'm taking the care back today and they are going to check and make sure they are balanced correctly. (the guy that straightened them did it, not the Audi mechanic). If this does not work, then I will have to order two new wheels. Maybe I'm just being ****, I want the car to be "perfect" like when I purchased it.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Rush2112
If this does not work, then I will have to order two new wheels. Maybe I'm just being ****, I want the car to be "perfect" like when I purchased it.
Try looking at eBay first. People sell off their low mileage OEM wheels frequently.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

So... one of the wheels was able to be "road" balanced and that resolved 1 tires issue. The other one (front driver side) was not able to be balanced. The lead tech has determined that not only was the rim damaged, but also something with the tire. Possible a bent or damaged band. He even went so far as to replace my wheel/tire with one from another car on the lot and the vibration is gone. We thought it might be something in the suspension still causing the vibration.

So.. this is the 2nd new tire in 7,500 miles (last one was a nail in the side wall). So now I"m totally screwed. I have two tires on the right side that have 12K on them. My left front will be brand new, and my left rear has 7,500 miles on it.

Where is road hazard warranty when you need it?
Old 02-06-2014, 02:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

So my insurance Co. sent a guy out to look at my wheels and tire. After talking with the service tech and the mechanic, they have completed my claim.

FULL COVERAGE!!!!!

They are paying for the $500 for trying to fix both tires (only one got fixed), the $600 for my new wheel, and for a new tire. Cost to me my deductible only.

Now lets see what the state coughs up.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

I hit a pretty big pot hole last week on my way to an even. Big enough that if I tried to avoid it, I would be up on the curb on the left, or in the right lane and into another car on the right.

So.. I hit it. The dealership just called me and told me BOTH my front left and rear left rims are BENT. This is not going to be cheap that's for sure. Service Tech believes they are about $600 EA. PLUS I would have to pay for mounting and balancing!! NOT HAPPY AT ALL!!!!!!

I have contacted my insurance company to see if this is covered, but haven't heard back from them yet.

I've also started the process of filing a claim with the Dept of Transportation, to see if I can recoup the amount of money I'm losing on this.

The only GOOD thing out of all of this, I'm not paying for new tires.

I hate WINTER/SNOW!!!

Sorry to hear bud, the same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. Going over the Brooklyn Bridge of all places. Was looking to claim some money from the Comptroller's office, but what did you know that they recently passed legislation that you couldn't file claims against the city from November to March, prime pothole season...
Old 02-07-2014, 09:41 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only GOOD thing out of all of this, I'm not paying for new tires.

I hate WINTER/SNOW!!!
Hopefully your tires survived the impact without any internal damage. Not trying to scare you but there can definitely be some internal damage done to the tires that you won't be able to see until they are mounted and driven on the new or repaired wheels and driven for a while. Safety is our biggest concern here so I just want to make sure you know to keep a close eye on the tires over the next week or so, look for bubbles, cuts, missing chunks of rubber or any major scraping or scratching on the tire which will help you know where to focus your inspection.

If you are interested in taking this as an opportunity to upgrade your wheels and tires we have a set of 20"s in our "gently used" section. These are mostly wheels that have been removed from a new Audi as soon as it hits the lot from the shipping carrier and the client wants to swap out the wheels for something different. These wheels are usually as good as new but just can't be sold as new because they had tires on them, this saves you a ton of money! I have a link directly to them right HERE
Old 02-07-2014, 11:48 AM
Banned

Jake, those are $375 each or for the set? Can't justify $1500, but $375 I certainly can.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

On his website link it shows priced as each.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pothole Damange to my Audi