Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Power upgrades for 3.0T in 2016 Model

Old 11-24-2014, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
Does anyone know if the 310 HP engine and the 333HP engine are identical? Is the difference only software/firmware?
Originally Posted by NABS4
Identical.
If this is the case, it's too bad aftermarket tuners don't increase the redline closer to the 3.0t S4.

Last edited by engleg; 11-25-2014 at 10:43 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NABS4
Yes.
how do we get this??
Old 11-25-2014, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Hockenheim
how do we get this??
APR Audi C7 A6 and A7 3.0 TFSI V6 ECU Upgrade
Old 11-27-2014, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Tuning and results

Originally Posted by salvadorik
I wonder mechanically how this is accomplished. The different ECU (software) expands limiter at which point air flow along with fuel starts to decrease? If the torque stays the same then I am assuming that the boost and amount of fuel do not change it is just the point at which they are limited changes, meaning not at 4800 RPM but at 5150 RPM.

Now compare that to an aftermarket ECU upgrade (e.g. APR) 3.0 gains significant amount of torque, which I think changes both air and fuel intake along with many other variable (which I have no idea).

I am just a bit curious how this is mechanically accomplished.
Although my 2014 A6 has yet to be tuned, I would expect the results similar to that when I had my 2010 S4 tuned using GIAC software.
The difference in performance was notable by 3000RPM but the majority of the efffects were felt from 5K up to 7K.

Since the A6 310 hp is the same motor with a slightly different ECU tune, I would expect the tune results to be similar.

The GIAC tune actually resulted in slightly better mileage I believe because of optimized spark/fuel curves, etc.
Only have 10K on new A6 so will probably wait for a bit before upgrading to APR/GIAC.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Would these after-market upgrades void factory warranties? What're the implications?
Old 12-22-2014, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They would absolutely void a drivetrain warranty if you have a problem and the tune is detected.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

These days, when your car is in for service, the tech usually has it "call home" to Audi central. If a power train mod is detected, it places a "TD1" flag on the car for the car's life. Also, a tech can enable the TD1 himself if a mod is found. Henceforth, if there is any issue that can be attributed to a mod, Audi will refuse to cover it under the manf. warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states that the manf. must determine and show that a warranty declined failure is a direct result of a non-factory part or unauthorized software change. (While a consumer can challenge and appeal a TD1 warranty refusal, it's not an easy road to a successful resolution). The Audi new car warranty booklet covers modifications and specifies their effect on coverage.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sounds like not worth the pain, no? At least for me...

Originally Posted by snagitseven
These days, when your car is in for service, the tech usually has it "call home" to Audi central. If a power train mod is detected, it places a "TD1" flag on the car for the car's life. Also, a tech can enable the TD1 himself if a mod is found. Henceforth, if there is any issue that can be attributed to a mod, Audi will refuse to cover it under the manf. warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states that the manf. must determine and show that a warranty declined failure is a direct result of a non-factory part or unauthorized software change. (While a consumer can challenge and appeal a TD1 warranty refusal, it's not an easy road to a successful resolution). The Audi new car warranty booklet covers modifications and specifies their effect on coverage.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by georgenyc
Sounds like not worth the pain, no? At least for me...
It's all a matter of risk tolerence vs. the desire for improved performance. Stasis was the only ECU manf. that had their own warranty to cover any engine failure caused by their products but they are apparently now out of business (which leaves their warranties who own their products in limbo). Other ECU manf. warranty only cover their own parts against defects but will not pay for any other repairs resulting from a failure.

Some here are willing to assume the additional warranty risk, many are not. Some will mod their new vehicle before the floor mats get dirty and others will wait for the warranty to run out. The majority of owners are content to enjoy what the factory provides and leave power train mods to the hobbyists.
Old 12-24-2014, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
It's all a matter of risk tolerence vs. the desire for improved performance. Stasis was the only ECU manf. that had their own warranty to cover any engine failure caused by their products but they are apparently now out of business (which leaves their warranties who own their products in limbo). Other ECU manf. warranty only cover their own parts against defects but will not pay for any other repairs resulting from a failure.

Some here are willing to assume the additional warranty risk, many are not. Some will mod their new vehicle before the floor mats get dirty and others will wait for the warranty to run out. The majority of owners are content to enjoy what the factory provides and leave power train mods to the hobbyists.
Over the years I have been on all sides of those options. What I have found is that if all you are looking for is 20-30 hp, you quickly get used to it (and realize that it's not much). To be worthwhile, I think you need to be adding at least 25% more power. But the more power you add, the more risk there is of something going wrong.

Something going wrong on a small block Chevy engine can be somewhat easy to fix because they are pretty simple engines and they are everywhere. No biggie buying a new short block or finding components fairly cheap. But a German engine…..I'm thinking that would not be a cheap fix.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power upgrades for 3.0T in 2016 Model