Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Premium gas less than $3

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 04:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$1.989 for premium at Sam's near New Orleans today. This is the first sub $2 premium I have seen in a very long time.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

$3.15 for Ethanol Free 93 Octane at Shell by my house yesterday.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Redd
The 9/10ths might have some original reason but it has long been BS and a way to make gas look a penny cheaper, which makes it look a dime cheaper. [sic]

US currency is actually authorized to the "mil", the thousandth of the dollar, and mils are or were commonly used by many companies for wholesale pricing. Eastman Kodak used to sell film and chemicals with prices set using mils, at least into the 70's.

In theory if your gas station runs up $23.495 at the pump, you only owe them $23.49 unless they can make change. But like banks and credit card companies, no one at the station will be able to answer you if the $23.xx on the price is rounded UP or DOWN, legally...it would have to be down, wouldn't it?

Greece used to have something similar in the early 70's. Prices at souvenir stands and such used one more decimal than was actually coined. And I'm told today a number of countries have stopped coining their "pennies" of whatever the local name is.

When gasoline was 28c per gallon (1970?) one penny bought what, 4-1/2 ounces? So each tenth was almost a half ounce of gasoline, something the pumps could easily meter. Even if they never gave you back the correct change for your mils.(G)

Chemicals and other products are often shipped in 55-gallon steel barrels--often referred to as "Drums". We often think that a Barrel of Oil would be 55-gallons, but it's NOT. A barrel of Oil is only 42-gallons. So at $55/barrel, raw oil costs $1.31/gallon. I think it's impressive that we can buy gas for less than 2-times that amount, what with transportation, refining, profits and taxes.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

The main reason to run premium is not because it makes one feel superior. The reality is that any engine that runs higher compression, generally requires a higher octane fuel. Now, just because modern engines are smart enough to detune themselves enough to run safely on a lower octane, does not necessarily make it a good idea. It is interesting that in Redd's test he saw no difference. However I wouldn't go reading too much into one incidental test.

Another thing I worry about on our cars is the fact that they (3.0T) are direct injected. Because of that the intake valve does not get 'washed' like normal intake valves. So they can have a tendency to get carboned up. Apparently some fuels cause the problem more than others. I think about that when I occasionally fill up at Costco (which I don't believe is on the 'approved' list).

Originally Posted by Redd
newmoon-
A "flexfuel" engine means, among other things, that all of the engine components have been designed for continuous duty with the range of fuels specificed. For instance, a "rubber" fuel hose in an ordinary car will crack and rot from prolonged contact with E50. A flexfuel engine designed to work with E50 will be made with different "rubber" parts, that will not be harmed. That's one part of it.
Another major part of "flexfuel" means the ignition (spark timing) tables in the ECU will be extended over a wide range, because each fuel type has a very different combustion speed and the spark timing has to be altered to make efficient use of the fuel. In blown engines (super or turbo) the ECU also needs to know what boost can be applied and it may have other factors added in, so a genuine "flexfuel" engine literally has the extra wee brains built in to compensate for the differences in fuel, and take advantage of them.
You could easily manually re-tune a 1968 Detroit engine from any of the big three to compensate for fuel type, fiddling with the timing and dwell on the distributor until you got results you liked. But our flexfuel engines are supposed to be doing that all the time, compensating for fuel type, temperature, humidity, barometric pressure, load, and perhaps even the type of music being played.(VBG)

That's why I strongly suspect that the advice to use premium is mainly, bunk. For everyday driving? It may make owners feel they are superior because their cars eat only the finest fuel...but that's like telling me a Gucci wallet will make my credit cards more worthy. As they said on the tv show, "Homey don't think so."

My highway results are pretty much the same as yours: No difference in the feel, or the numbers, as far as I could see. (Which is how a "smart" ECU should be running things!)
Old 01-21-2015, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I got premium for $2.339 today (regular was $1.939).

I've also been experimenting a bit on how to get the best highway mileage. I frequently drive between West Palm Beach and Orlando which is about 180 miles, mostly on I-95. Normally I set the cruise on 75 mph and get around 30-31 mpg. But now I've been slowing down a bit and setting the cruise to 70-72 mph, and early results have been getting mileage of around 35 mpg!
Old 01-24-2015, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$1.83 at Sams Club in Oklahoma City. Regular is $1.58.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Oscar2
The main reason to run premium is not because it makes one feel superior. The reality is that any engine that runs higher compression, generally requires a higher octane fuel. Now, just because modern engines are smart enough to detune themselves enough to run safely on a lower octane, does not necessarily make it a good idea. It is interesting that in Redd's test he saw no difference. However I wouldn't go reading too much into one incidental test.

Another thing I worry about on our cars is the fact that they (3.0T) are direct injected. Because of that the intake valve does not get 'washed' like normal intake valves. So they can have a tendency to get carboned up. Apparently some fuels cause the problem more than others. I think about that when I occasionally fill up at Costco (which I don't believe is on the 'approved' list).
True enough and Audi recommends "Top Tier" fuel brands. BTW, Costco is now a Top Tier retailer. (Click the "retailer" tab).
Top Tier Gasoline
Old 01-26-2015, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Silent Drone
I dunno. For whatever reason regular gas is usually less than diesel in SLC, but this is as low as I've seen for premium in a long long time.
Its all about where you get the diesel. I get mine at a truck stop and I'm paying $2.79/gal (in california, not bad!), but, they move 100K+ gallons per week. At the station near my house diesel is $3.69 this week (more than $1 over premium) and they don't move much so they got a lot of $3/gal diesel in their tanks and don't want to loose money on it. You should look at truck stop pricing to get the proper cost of diesel -- the neighborhood gas station isn't going to reflect the proper price. Diesel is always more than gas because of the sulfur reduction and in california its even more expensive because of the higher cetane values.

But, more importantly, do I regret my TDI purchase considering the nose dive of gas prices? Not for one second.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
True enough and Audi recommends "Top Tier" fuel brands. BTW, Costco is now a Top Tier retailer. (Click the "retailer" tab).
Top Tier Gasoline
Yep - love that Costco is a top tier gas retailer
Old 02-04-2015, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

$2.599 @ Exxon in Exton, PA.

Quick Reply: Premium gas less than $3