Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A question about window tinting and Audis

Old 11-02-2012, 03:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A question about window tinting and Audis

So I'm taking my lovely to Pro-Tint in Savannah tomorrow. When I was on the phone with the guy, he mentioned that since new model Audis lack a felt liner in the window seal, it is very possible that a single grain of sand or grit could scratch a tint job. Is there truth in this?
Old 11-02-2012, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had mine done yesterday. My guy didn't mention anything about that point. I am not sure personally that a grain of sand could do that, but I am no expert. I know I have had many cars tinted and it seems it is always a persons finger nail or now my wife's ring that will scratch the tint before sand.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Is he suggesting adding felt to the window?
I don't have anything added when I got it tinted. Everything looks good. No issue. In the past, I probably had more damage/scratch from the seatbelt buckle than anything else.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't have an Audi yet, but I can tell you that in my wife's BMW 325i her window tint in the back seat windows has been very scratched up from rolling up and down. Apparently, the windows can scrape on the inside of the door panels and over time this can leave scratches and/or streaks in your tint.

The solution is to have the door panels removed before installing the tint, and adding a thin layer of felt fabric to the door panel. That way the windows do not scrape against sharp corners of the panel when they roll down.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Landstander
So I'm taking my lovely to Pro-Tint in Savannah tomorrow. When I was on the phone with the guy, he mentioned that since new model Audis lack a felt liner in the window seal, it is very possible that a single grain of sand or grit could scratch a tint job. Is there truth in this?
Have had tint for 16 mos and no scratches with stock seal
Old 11-03-2012, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
I don't have an Audi yet, but I can tell you that in my wife's BMW 325i her window tint in the back seat windows has been very scratched up from rolling up and down. Apparently, the windows can scrape on the inside of the door panels and over time this can leave scratches and/or streaks in your tint.

The solution is to have the door panels removed before installing the tint, and adding a thin layer of felt fabric to the door panel. That way the windows do not scrape against sharp corners of the panel when they roll down.
When I get my windows tinted I know I won't be having anyone remove any door panels on my new car. I've never had that done and don't plan on starting with this car. Never had an issue with scratches on my tint.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by joseaudi
Have had tint for 16 mos and no scratches with stock seal
Yes... yes.. I've had tint in my BMW 545i for 8 years with the stock seals and have no scratches. But my wife's car has rear windows scratched to hell. Go figure...

The original poster was specifically asking about scratches to tint. All I'm saying is that it can happen, and I know this from personal experience. I also know that window tint shops are aware of the possible issues, and they have a solution. Whether or not someone wants to go that route is up to them.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the responses. When he was examining the car, the ProTint guy commented that the seals were much improved from what he had seen on other Audis. He didn't think there would be an issue.

Went with a 35% CXP tint. Looks great. We'll just have to see what happens.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

I looked at the seals around my window today as well, and the 2013's do infact have a small felt linning on the inside of the window. This looks normal to me, and as long as you keep it clean, you shouldn't have any issues with your tint being scratched. (ie. detail your car guys).
Old 11-05-2012, 06:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have had my A6 tinted for 12 months with no scratches. I used the metalic 3M tint.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A question about window tinting and Audis