Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Quiet Tire Recommendation Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 07:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Quiet Tire Recommendation Anyone?

I am getting ready to purchase some new tires as I am at 26k on the factory ones. I have been happy with the performance and road noise of the OE tires but wonder if there is a better option out there? I have the 20" package that currently runs 255/35 20 p-zeros.

1. I live in Las Vegas so snow/wet conditions are NOT a factor.

2. I don't drive fast so don't need a super high performance Z rated tire. I'm more concerned with a quiet tire that further reduces cabin noise.

I did a quick search on DT and got the results below. However, can't figure out the difference between the first tire and the last tire and why there is a $147 price difference? They appear to be the exact same tire.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fil...=prca&toggled=

These NITTOs have good reviews and have a 60k mile rating which is attractive and they are cheaper than the P-zeros.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fil...toggled=%2Cmiw

Any input or recs from experience are great.

Thanks.

Last edited by A6ninja; 02-19-2015 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

My Michelin Pilot Super Sports are very quiet. You can also take a look at the Tire Rack surveys and see what tires everyone else thinks are quiet.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

For Summer Tires: Continental ExtremeContact DW are a bit quieter than the Michelin PSS based on my experience in the 20" size (have had them both on the same car).

For A/S: Had an A4 loaner once with the OEM Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season and I couldn't believe how quiet those tires were - on a concrete interstate there was almost zero tire noise.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Michelin PS3 is the best tire.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary
My Michelin Pilot Super Sports are very quiet. You can also take a look at the Tire Rack surveys and see what tires everyone else thinks are quiet.
+1 on this. I moved from Pilot Sport PS2's to Pilot Super Sports and the new tires were much quieter and the old tires were already not bad. Way better than Yokohamas or the like.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

First, as someone mentioned the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season is extremely quiet - however it does not come in a size to fit your 20" wheels.

Simply go to tirerack, search your size, and sort the survey results in each category and look at Noise Comfort

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...r=Premium+Plus

For a Max Performance Summer tire, the Michelin Pilot Super Sport and the Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 are nearly identical at the top of noise ratings, but the Hankook is almost one half the cost of the Michelins
Old 02-21-2015, 11:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I also have an A6 prestige 3.0 Quattro with 255/35ZR20 size. They were Pirelli but I replaced with Hankook Ventus S1 noble 2 All Season Ultra-High Performance. Have had them on for 15M miles in. I'm in Florida and deal with heat and humidity and rain. Drove to Ok and Tx. a few times more heat and then some cold. Tires have very good dry road grip and great wet weather grip. Twisting country roads and some slightly mountainous areas where cornering grip was really good. Very slight tire noise at lower speeds but in highway cruising almost non existant. These are way quieter than Pirelli. Kept pressure at 42PSI as per Hankook.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

I really like Michelin Premier A/S, but I don't know if they come in 20 inch size.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you to all of you for the amazing info. Didn't know about the tire rack search options which was really helpful. This board is awesome!
Old 02-22-2015, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by DSL_PWR
The Michelin PS3 is the best tire.
Too bad they don't have it in S6 size.

Quick Reply: Quiet Tire Recommendation Anyone?