Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Rain sensing wipers

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 07:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rain sensing wipers

I have never had rain sensing wipers before so not sure how they are supposed to work. Only have had car for 3 weeks now but have noticed when it has rained the wipers don't come on on their own (I have the wiper stalk in the position one up from off). Is this as designed where you need to start them before the intermittent setting does its thing automatically?
Old 09-11-2015, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

There should be a sensitivity adjustment on the wiper stalk.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I thought the stalk adjustment was for timing delay.
so the wiper come on automatically if it detects enough rain? small bar means more sensitive?

assume they needs to be turned off to not come on in a car wash?
Old 09-11-2015, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

The sensitivity adjustment will affect how often/how fast it operates but will also affect how likely it is to start operating. Try moving to a middle position and then adjust as needed.
Generally you do not need to adjust it very often.

Yes, make sure it is off when going through a car wash otherwise the wipers could get caught up or damaged by the cloth.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Off topic but I would never take my through a car wash that had anything touch my car's paint except water and soap. Touchless only unless you want small scratches and lots of swirls from those brushes and "slappers" full of dirt from the last fifty cars that went through before yours. Same goes for any car wash where they have someone dry your car with dirty, scratchy towels.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Off topic but I would never take my through a car wash that had anything touch my car's paint except water and soap. Touchless only unless you want small scratches and lots of swirls from those brushes and "slappers" full of dirt from the last fifty cars that went through before yours. Same goes for any car wash where they have someone dry your car with dirty, scratchy towels.
I agree with you. I've been doing 2 bucket rinse-less wash. Got some parts of the car wrapped with xpel and then did opti-coat over it all but am in no hurry to have the car wash guys scratch it all up. Being in NY winter will be a problem but have done some research on hand car washes in the area I will try out.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by fuzzydice
I agree with you. I've been doing 2 bucket rinse-less wash. Got some parts of the car wrapped with xpel and then did opti-coat over it all but am in no hurry to have the car wash guys scratch it all up. Being in NY winter will be a problem but have done some research on hand car washes in the area I will try out.
Me too but in winter, I usually have no choice but to visit a car wash. However, I will only use a touchless and one that doesn't use harsh chemicals (I've found one near me that fits the bill). Since I have Opti-Coat Pro Plus, I have no need for their extra "wax" or so-called paint protection bubbly blue junk or whatever they call it - just wash, under carriage and blower dry thank you.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 132 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Rain Sensing

Just be aware that the rain sensing feature can be turned off in the MMI.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

This feature is useless without rain.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 178 Likes on 158 Posts

Sensitivity replaces timing on cars with rain sensor wipers. The more you move the adjustment to the right the more sensitive it gets. Sometimes when it first starts raining the wipers need to realise it is raining by you doing a single wipe, easy to do if you just move the sensitivity control up and back down, after that it can detect the rain properly and wipe as required. I find leaving mine at the least sensitive setting is fine

Quick Reply: Rain sensing wipers