Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Any experience with this buzzing sound?

Old 07-08-2014, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any experience with this buzzing sound?

My car was quiet as a mouse until it hit 5k miles, and then it developed a buzzing sound in the vicinity of the instrument binnacle. It has gotten worse every day leading me to believe that some fastener is backing out. It now is buzzing about 1/2 the time while driving. No fun.

The dealer attacked it while it was intermittent. They removed a speaker grill and padded with felt. That wasn't the source.

I'm reluctant to have the dealer's tech dive into the dash. I was hoping one of you had the same problem and could provide some direction to my dealer. I'm pretty sure the source is around the instruments.

I also have a buzzing and creaking from the passenger B or C pillar, but I have no qualms with a tech messing around in trim panels. The dash and instrument cluster is a little more touchy.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a similar problem but I think it is coming from inside the steering wheel but could be the instrument cluster. Only happens on certain road surfaces but it is getting worse...maybe the summer heat? If I feel I can re-produce it for the service tech I may take it in.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick Carroll
I have a similar problem but I think it is coming from inside the steering wheel but could be the instrument cluster. Only happens on certain road surfaces but it is getting worse...maybe the summer heat? If I feel I can re-produce it for the service tech I may take it in.
Sounds like same thing I'm hearing on my A7 tdi. Only certain pebbly/rough paved roads seem to trigger the sound. I thought it was the clear panel over the instruments or maybe the metallic finish plastic trim surround... Applying light fingertip pressure seems to make it stop buzzing. But just waiting until 5k service to do anything.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Avoid opening the instrument cluster!! My previous A6 came back with horrible squeaks and rattles after the dealer opened the cluster.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PBPhantom
Avoid opening the instrument cluster!! My previous A6 came back with horrible squeaks and rattles after the dealer opened the cluster.
Exactly my concern. That's the reason for the OP.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Sounds like one of the problems I have

I have two issues with this sound. My car is at the dealer and has been since Monday. On Friday I got them to acknowledge the issue. The 1st issue was from the grill on the dashboard. They replaced it with a new grill said the original had a broken clip on install. The other was coming from the aluminum ring around the airbag on the steering wheel. They replaced that with one from a new vehicle. They are brining me the car tomorrow. It's taken 3 months to get this far.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You might have hit it with the aluminum ring around the air bag on the steering wheel as I feel my buzzing sound is coming from somewhere in the steering wheel. Let us know if that fixes the problem.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 178 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick Carroll
You might have hit it with the aluminum ring around the air bag on the steering wheel as I feel my buzzing sound is coming from somewhere in the steering wheel. Let us know if that fixes the problem.
On my C5 I had something similar and it resulted in the replacement of the air bag in the steering wheel, luckily it was sorted days before the warranty ran out.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Upon return of the car the situation is improved but still exists. It does seem to be "inside" the steering wheel where the airbag is. The car goes back on Monday. I still have buzz sound from the speaker grill in the dash also.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

[QUOTE=sprice33647;24588820I still have buzz sound from the speaker grill in the dash also.[/QUOTE]

On my 4th Audi in 4 years (yes I have problems they don't make medication for) B8A4 (avant), B8.5S4, C7A6 (2.0) and C7A6 TDI. Every single one of them has a dash speaker buzz when using bluetooth, especially on the ringing noise. Really wish they could do a better job on this piece.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any experience with this buzzing sound?