Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Rats--Dead in the Road

Old 12-09-2014, 05:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
I suppose it's possible that the thermostat for the oil cooler opened during your drive (which may be longer than the test drive done by the technician). Your missing oil may not actually be missing - just distributed differently. If the oil level changes again, then I would be worried.
Thanks, DH. (Gotta love a handle like "Deerhunter--I just made a batch of venison jerky). Since there is no apparent oil leak I've gotta figure that's what happened. One would think the road test would include taking the new engine up to operating temp for a while...
Old 12-09-2014, 11:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverendbiker
Thanks, DH. (Gotta love a handle like "Deerhunter--I just made a batch of venison jerky). Since there is no apparent oil leak I've gotta figure that's what happened. One would think the road test would include taking the new engine up to operating temp for a while...
I've never hunted so much as a squirrel in my life. My monicker was bestowed upon me when I took out a 4-point buck with my Miata a long time ago.

If it's cold out, it takes the engine a surprisingly long time to fully warm up (something you can only see when you enable the oil temp gauge with VCDS). Technicians aren't going to go for a 10 mile check-out ride, because of the time involved and the fact that customers will complain about the extra mileage. They should have mentioned that this could happen, though, and given you a couple of quarts of oil to take home with you.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here's the update on this sad situation:
Audi replaced the engine in my wife's A6 2.0 under warranty five months ago but it just hasn't been right since. I've had it back in the shop a couple of times times but am still not satisfied. Believe it or not, there is a happy ending to the story. While the car was in the shop I was given a 2014 A6 TDI loaner and fell in love with it. I had a meeting with the dealership manager and made him an offer on the loaner I was driving. We settled on a deal and I drove away in a vehicle that is, IMHO, light-years better than the previous.
I understand that any manufacturer can have a hiccup once in a while, but I surely appreciate the way Audi North Austin handled this one.

dieselly yours,
Old 04-17-2015, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Great news Reverendbiker of your good outcome to an an unfortunate and thankfully uncommon occurrence with the 2.0 engine. Now you can enjoy the big bump in power and torque more suited to a car like the A6.

Nice to hear Audi Austin came through for you as they we'll should have.

Hulamau

Current Audi's: 2012 Premium Plus A4 and 2015 A4 Prestige,

Just recently rolled over my 2012 A4 for a new 2016 A6 3.0T Prestige, S-line Sports pack, Driver's Assistance pack and 20" Bi-color 5 star design wheel pack Florett Silver with Nougat Brown ventilated leather and glossy dark walnut trim ... ETA from Neckarsulm first week of June ... less than 2 months now and eagerly awaiting.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great outcome. Glad it worked out for you.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

dieselly yours,

Very nice, Jack, and congratulations on such a pleasing outcome!
Old 04-18-2015, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

...Luckily a fire truck was not far behind her and 4 great firemen pushed her car off the bridge.
Reading this was even more alarming then the dead rats. Glad to see your wife's experience ended well (with no swimming involved) and that you ended up with a better car. We all have our war stories but not all of which ended as well as yours.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the happy ending.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, all's well that ends well! I have had many !6 2.0 TDIs over the years and they're terrific. My current one, bought new in February has the S-Tronic box and is very economical. With our fuel prices that's very important. Enjoy the torque!
Old 04-20-2015, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Reading this was even more alarming then the dead rats..
But we had already established that there were no dead rats.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rats--Dead in the Road