Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Recently Purchased A6 - Wind Noise

Old 12-22-2011, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a whistle too. It happens at 70 - 80mph. A passenger in the back seat identified that it is coming from the rear door window. He could put his hand over the area where the window meets the top of the interior door panel and make it stop. I have not made the appointment yet....

I'll let everyone know how this turns out.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Problem solved. It turns out the rear door was slightly out of adjustment and wasn't closing properly. Nothing noticeable to the eye, but the technician adjusted it and the problem is gone.

Originally Posted by R_A8
I have a whistle too. It happens at 70 - 80mph. A passenger in the back seat identified that it is coming from the rear door window. He could put his hand over the area where the window meets the top of the interior door panel and make it stop. I have not made the appointment yet....

I'll let everyone know how this turns out.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Update: After picking the car up, I noticed the rear dor was not closing correctly. It took too much effort to close. Went back by the dealer a few days later, they agreed and the adjusted it again. The whistle is back and the door still ain't great. the Shop Manager came out to look at it and was very apologetic that the car was returned to me less than perfect. He is ordering a new door seal, then will install and adjust the door properly. I'll let everyone know how this turns out.

Problem solved. It turns out the rear door was slightly out of adjustment and wasn't closing properly. Nothing noticeable to the eye, but the technician adjusted it and the problem is gone.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the update. I spoke with AoA today and they said I should bring the car back to the dealership asap to get this fixed. Let me know how yours goes and hopefully my problem can be solved the same way as yours.

Thanks.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

It turns out that it was an issue with the way the interior door panel was installed. The shop manager readjusted the door first to ensure that it closed perfectly and the problem was still there. He then took the interior panel off and did a test drive to see if he could better pinpoint the issue and the whistle was not present without the door panel. They reinstalled the door panel and made sure everything was correct and that seems to have solved the issue.

Update: After picking the car up, I noticed the rear dor was not closing correctly. It took too much effort to close. Went back by the dealer a few days later, they agreed and the adjusted it again. The whistle is back and the door still ain't great. the Shop Manager came out to look at it and was very apologetic that the car was returned to me less than perfect. He is ordering a new door seal, then will install and adjust the door properly. I'll let everyone know how this turns out.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Since January 4th I be the lucky owner of an Audi A6 S-Edition. I live in the Netherlands. I also suffer from wind noise on the passenger side. Yesterday I visited the dealer. Tuesday I bring the car for further investigation. Probably the window itself is not well targeted. But the seal of the door near the mirror can also be the problem. This problem was frequently observed they say!
Old 01-17-2012, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

In my case it was an additional seal (kit) into the door near the mirror.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tripleE
Since January 4th I be the lucky owner of an Audi A6 S-Edition. I live in the Netherlands. I also suffer from wind noise on the passenger side. Yesterday I visited the dealer. Tuesday I bring the car for further investigation. Probably the window itself is not well targeted. But the seal of the door near the mirror can also be the problem. This problem was frequently observed they say!
How did you get on at the dealer? Did they sort out the problem? Where exactly is the problem with the door seal near the mirror? Thanks.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

the dealer did sort out the problem. The issu is known in the "problem" database of Audi so the dealer exactly know what to do.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just want to update everyone on the status of my "wind noise" issue:

I had the car since 11/30/2011 and took the car in three times already to have the wind noise problem looked at.

The first time the technician did hear something and said he adjusted the window frame to the doors can close better. Right after I left the lot, I still heard the noise so I went back immediately. Did a test drive with the technician and he said he couldn't hear anything. However, he did admit he has bad hearing because he works in the shop all the time. He suggested that I let the doors and moldings "adapt" to each other and bring it back in a few weeks if it still persists.

A few weeks later the noise didn't go away, so I brought the car in again and this time they said there is a TSB that replaces the mirror housing part where it meets the door. I think this is something a lot of fellow members was referring to when it solved their problems. Well, it didn't fix my problem but I didn't have time to bring it back until this past Monday.

When I dropped off the car on Monday, I tested drove the car with another technician and he said he can definitely hear it. I drove another A6 with my sales and I heard the same noise. I left the car at the shop and on Thursday, the service adviser told me they're still waiting for Audi Tech Line to tell them what to do.

I got a call this morning and was told both the dealership an Audi Tech Line has no solution for this problem. They test drove two more A6's and they can hear the noise too. They concluded that it's a design flaw and that all A6's will have this problem. At this time, there is no fix for it. They said hopefully in a few years (like the Q5 wind noise issues) Audi will design new mirror housing so it doesn't create so much turbulence and the noise.

All three visits were documented by Audi USA's customer service department, but I highly doubt there are anything they can do.

Now I will just need to crank up the music while I'm driving so i don't notice the wind noise.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Recently Purchased A6 - Wind Noise