Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Red iPod Cable Information

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fvike
Ok, so I just got back from my dealer, and my ipod sofware is now updated. My red cable now works. Also, my car is an very early car, an 2011 model.

The attached images show the old version; HN+_DAB_K0097 (I've got an euro spec car), the new version HN+R_EU_AU_K0485_18, and a (bad) picture of the working red cable in action, and a picture of both cables.

The update came in the form of an CD, and the dealer updated it. It took a little while, a few hours.

When u went in, did you ask for it, or they just did it
Old 02-11-2012, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by fdot
When u went in, did you ask for it, or they just did it
I asked for it before my first service. I also had with me a paper note with the MMI version numbers that we (the AW forum) knew worked. I talked to them about it, showed them both (red and blue) cables, and told them that the red one needed an update to work. They said they would look into it, and asked for the note with the correct version. Plan was to have it done at the same time as the service, but they didn't recive the CD until a few days after, so I had to get a new appointment for it.

Which reminds me; I got the bill in the mail today, *opens the envelope* and it's a costly update: 3.890 NOK = $676.00.
ALSO: the bill contains the CD part number! It is 8R0 906 961 AM
Old 02-11-2012, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

I asked for it before my first service. I also had with me a paper note with the MMI version numbers that we (the AW forum) knew worked. I talked to them about it, showed them both (red and blue) cables, and told them that the red one needed an update to work. They said they would look into it, and asked for the note with the correct version. Plan was to have it done at the same time as the service, but they didn't recive the CD until a few days after, so I had to get a new appointment for it.

Which reminds me; I got the bill in the mail today, *opens the envelope* and it's a costly update: 3.890 NOK = $676.00.
ALSO: the bill contains the CD part number! It is 8R0 906 961 AM
I hope u didn't pay
Old 02-11-2012, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Haven't yet.
But out of 3.890 NOK .39 NOK is rounded up, 777.92 NOK is the VAT and 34.20 is the cost of the actual CD. That leaves 3077,49. They used about 3 hrs, so that is 1025,83 per hour. And labor is expencive in Norway. That's actually a normal rate for an hours work in a garage/autoshop over here.

I'll bet your bill won't be as high. Norway is EXPENCIVE. Remember we pay $9.21 per gallon of fuel over here. I **** you not. Hell, my A6 has a sticker price of $165.096. But I didn't pay that, I imported it from Germany, so it was a lot cheaper. But you can read about that in the Euro thead.

Last edited by fvike; 02-11-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Haven't yet.
But out of 3.890 NOK .39 NOK is rounded up, 777.92 NOK is the VAT and 34.20 is the cost of the actual CD. That leaves 3077,49. They used about 3 hrs, so that is 1025,83 per hour. And labor is expencive in Norway. That's actually a normal rate for an hours work in a garage/autoshop over here.

I'll bet your bill won't be as high. Norway is EXPENCIVE. Remember we pay $9.21 per gallon of fuel over here. I **** you not. Hell, my A6 has a sticker price of $165.096. But I didn't pay that, I imported it from Germany, so it was a lot cheaper. But you can read about that in the Euro thead.
wow, im not paying for this update. I'm going to say my backup camera has been messed up and hopefully i get it for free
Old 02-13-2012, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there a "Red" cable equivalent for the microUSB connector?

I currently have a iPhone 3GS, but I am considering Android/Windows Phone as my next one...and most of them use a microUSB connector
Old 02-13-2012, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by manishaudi
Is there a "Red" cable equivalent for the microUSB connector?

I currently have a iPhone 3GS, but I am considering Android/Windows Phone as my next one...and most of them use a microUSB connector
I have a "regular" micro-USB adapter cable connected to a 1TB Samsung S2 USB drive. Works fine for mp3, but no luck playing video. mp4 are displayed, but sound only, m4v not even detected. Anyone able to play video from usb device?
Old 02-13-2012, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mickelin
I have a "regular" micro-USB adapter cable connected to a 1TB Samsung S2 USB drive. Works fine for mp3, but no luck playing video. mp4 are displayed, but sound only, m4v not even detected. Anyone able to play video from usb device?
Does 2012 Audi recognize and play Audiobooks (.M4b) from non-Ipod sources such as SD card and Jukebox, with or without the Red Cable? In 2010, it fails to even acknowledge the presence of Audiobooks but plays all mp3s fine from the same source.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mickelin
I play videos using the regular usb AMI Cable, and playback with sound using a flash (thumb) drive. which i can also rip (copy) to hard drive, on which i have 7 movies, 1 episode of justified and some Audi commercials from super bowl 2011.

you guys might want to check you video format, but i know most of the videos have been avi files, dvix, xvid, i even watch Gundam wing endless waltz as a .OMG file.

I have to check on MP4, but i think those worked also, there were some video files that were not compatible, check you owner's manual.

Last edited by Stevial; 02-13-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Stevial
I play videos using the regular usb AMI Cable, and playback with sound using a flash (thumb) drive. which i can also rip (copy) to hard drive, on which i have 7 movies, 1 episode of justified and some Audi commercials from super bowl 2011.

you guys might want to check you video format, but i know most of the videos have been avi files, dvix, xvid, i even watch Gundam wing endless waltz as a .OMG file.

I have to check on MP4, but i think those worked also, there were some video files that were not compatible, check you owner's manual.
Strange, .avi files don't even show up on my display. The owners manual only lists audio file formats, except mp4 no video formats. Do you have the part no of your cable?

Quick Reply: Red iPod Cable Information