Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Red iPod Cable Information

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 07:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=I hope someone can help. I'm a new owner of a 2012 A6 Prestige, got the red grommet ipod adapter cable, but when I connect my gen 4 ipod nano, I get an error message stating "This Ipod is not supported". I have the P0487 software in the MMI and the ipod SW is up to date.
I just tried my wife's 3rd gen Ipod nano and got the same message.[/QUOTE]

Latest update. I connected an iPhone 4S and it was immediately recognized. Good music playback, album art etc. Just like advertised. Don't understand why Nano won't work.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Must be a nano thing
Old 07-07-2012, 11:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BSullivan
Thanks, I just tried my wife's 3rd gen Ipod nano and got the same message.
Is this the old SQUARISH one? Mine works with the oldest software
Old 07-08-2012, 01:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 178 Likes on 158 Posts

I hope someone can help. I'm a new owner of a 2012 A6 Prestige, got the red grommet ipod adapter cable, but when I connect my gen 4 ipod nano, I get an error message stating "This Ipod is not supported". I have the 4087 software in the MMI and the ipod SW is up to date according to apple. thanks in advance.
Based on the Audi site in Germany http://www.audi.de/de/brand/de/neuwa... iPod devices.

iPod nano 5G (ab Version 1.0.2)
iPod touch 1G, 2G, 3G und 4G (ab Version 3.0.0)
iPhone 1G, 3G, 3GS und 4G (ab Version 3.0.0)
iPad (ab Version 4.2.1)

So a 4G Nano will not work
Old 07-08-2012, 02:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John Simcox
Based on the Audi site in Germany http://www.audi.de/de/brand/de/neuwa... iPod devices.

iPod nano 5G (ab Version 1.0.2)
iPod touch 1G, 2G, 3G und 4G (ab Version 3.0.0)
iPhone 1G, 3G, 3GS und 4G (ab Version 3.0.0)
iPad (ab Version 4.2.1)

So a 4G Nano will not work
Thanks, didn't have that information. Now I have to decide if it's worth getting another Nano or go for a touch or iphone.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks, didn't have that information. Now I have to decide if it's worth getting another Nano or go for a touch or iphone.
If you want the option to watch films or other video (whilst the car is stationary of course!!) then you will need an iPod Touch or iPhone as the Nano does not offer that feature
Old 07-12-2012, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

I have P0566 MMI software on my 2013 A6 and just got the red grommet cable. Firstly, it said my iPod Video was not supported (it was on the blue cable). As others have found, the red cable no longer supports older iPods (which is prob why Audi still provides the blue cable on new cars as audio only works fine on just about all Apple devices). Got to be an Apple thing.

While the car is in park (no VIM yet), I plugged in my iPhone 4s and cover art appeared with option to play videos. When I select videos, I get audio but no video appears. As shown in a previous post, the 2013 A6 manual just says the red AMI cable is required for cover art and video. My videos are from iTunes in MP4 file format which the manual says should be supported. (BTW, DVDs play fine).

The file sizes on my 4s were optimized for the iPhone's smaller screen - I wonder if that's the issue? For those who have video working properly from an iPhone or iTouch (assumes you have updated software and red cable), what resolution are your movie files on your idevice? Any other suggestions for me to try to get my videos working?
Old 07-12-2012, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I have P0566 MMI software on my 2013 A6 and just got the red grommet cable. Firstly, it said my iPod Video was not supported (it was on the blue cable). As others have found, the red cable no longer supports older iPods (which is prob why Audi still provides the blue cable on new cars as audio only works fine on just about all Apple devices). Got to be an Apple thing.

While the car is in park (no VIM yet), I plugged in my iPhone 4s and cover art appeared with option to play videos. When I select videos, I get audio but no video appears. As shown in a previous post, the 2013 A6 manual just says the red AMI cable is required for cover art and video. My videos are from iTunes in MP4 file format which the manual says should be supported. (BTW, DVDs play fine).

The file sizes on my 4s were optimized for the iPhone's smaller screen - I wonder if that's the issue? For those who have video working properly from an iPhone or iTouch (assumes you have updated software and red cable), what resolution are your movie files on your idevice? Any other suggestions for me to try to get my videos working?
That was the problem I had. try rebooting the iPhone (fully power it off and then on again) also have you disabled Bluetooth Music Streaming in the phone menu, does not affect bluetooth phone? It might be that the phone is streaming video over Bluetooth and thus unable to show the video
Old 07-12-2012, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by John Simcox
That was the problem I had. try rebooting the iPhone (fully power it off and then on again) also have you disabled Bluetooth Music Streaming in the phone menu, does not affect bluetooth phone? It might be that the phone is streaming video over Bluetooth and thus unable to show the video
I didn't realize video could be transmitted over bluetooth from the iPhone to the MMI. When hooked up to the AMI, there are 2 iPhone entries in the source menu - bluetooth and AMI and it was definitely selected to the AMI.
That said, I hooked up an iPhone 3gs that is not activated as a phone anymore (essentially now an iPod Touch) and lo, video with audio worked fine. Bluetooth in the 3gs was on but not paired.
I'll check the 4s and try it with bluetooth off. You are prob right that bluetooth and AMI may be working against one another.

In the end, I'll prob keep the 3gs attached to the AMI with bluetooth off for music and video and use the 4s as a bluetooth phone only. They will operate independently at the same time and I think that should be the best of both worlds.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I didn't realize video could be transmitted over bluetooth from the iPhone to the MMI. When hooked up to the AMI, there are 2 iPhone entries in the source menu - bluetooth and AMI and it was definitely selected to the AMI.
That said, I hooked up an iPhone 3gs that is not activated as a phone anymore (essentially now an iPod Touch) and lo, video with audio worked fine. Bluetooth in the 3gs was on but not paired.
I'll check the 4s and try it with bluetooth off. You are prob right that bluetooth and AMI may be working against one another.

In the end, I'll prob keep the 3gs attached to the AMI with bluetooth off for music and video and use the 4s as a bluetooth phone only. They will operate independently at the same time and I think that should be the best of both worlds.

Thanks for the advice.
You can leave Bluetooth on the phone or iPod you only need to switch off bluetooth streaming in the phone mmi bluetooth settings menu

Quick Reply: Red iPod Cable Information