Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

remote start for C7

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default remote start for C7

does anyone have a recommendation for a remote start for this series of A6? seems like it would be a factory option however its not. as an aside, I drove the A6 and the A8 today and the A6 is a fantastic car as I am sure you all know. A8 had some 'problems' as in a low tire indication and an air suspension fault. yikes. and for tech freaks like me, my god, is that nav screen fabulous.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could try Viper SmartStart Remote Start System. I have not tried it myself though.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

This is typically not available with German cars as it is illegal to run/idle a car in Germany if not driving it.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not recommend Remote start for our cars. I assume you want to warm it up before taking off... The best to do is to take off right after the start this way the engine temp will rise fast and heat the car. Cold weather pkg helps. during this couple of minutes.... besides you don't burn gas.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah its primarily for the brutal winters we get in mass. on top of that I work nites so... . but Ill keep this thinking in mind
Old 08-20-2015, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by OneOfOne
yeah its primarily for the brutal winters we get in mass. on top of that I work nites so... . but Ill keep this thinking in mind
I live in a pretty cold area and spend a lot of my time further into the NE snow belt. I find the standard heated seats and especially the heated steering wheel (partof the cold weather package) help a lot. Letting the car idle until it gets warm is not the best thing or these direct injection vehicles IMO.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This is one of those things I don't quite get. There is "cold" temperature, and then there is frigid+snow+ice+whatever else mother nature throws at you. The way I see it:

1) If it's just cold, then you don't need a remote starter. Though it up a bit, turn it on and drive away. As others mentioned the heated seats and steering wheel help a lot here.

2) If it's frigid+snow and whatever else, yeah you gotta defrost the windows, but you also gotta shovel off she snow, scrape the ice off, basically fix your visibility issues, etc. Remote start won't help you here, you are screwed anyways haha (This is the point where you start questioning why you don't live somewhere nice and sunny).

My 2 cents.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 178 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by mdkv5
This is one of those things I don't quite get. There is "cold" temperature, and then there is frigid+snow+ice+whatever else mother nature throws at you. The way I see it:

1) If it's just cold, then you don't need a remote starter. Though it up a bit, turn it on and drive away. As others mentioned the heated seats and steering wheel help a lot here.

2) If it's frigid+snow and whatever else, yeah you gotta defrost the windows, but you also gotta shovel off she snow, scrape the ice off, basically fix your visibility issues, etc. Remote start won't help you here, you are screwed anyways haha (This is the point where you start questioning why you don't live somewhere nice and sunny).

My 2 cents.
This is a retrofit for the kit Audi offers in places like Scandinavia. Heats the car but does not involve starting the engine

https://www.kufatec.co.uk/shop/en/au...kit-audi-a6-4g
Old 08-21-2015, 02:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I lived in New England for a long time, and I lol at the peeps saying you don't need it. If you don't have a garage, it can be positively brutal. I remember how agonizingly long it would take for my car to warm up on the ride to work. And by the time the car started to warm, I would be frozen solid.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

And above all (this I am sure is obvious to OP) do not let anyone other than experienced Audi tech or dealer start messing with installation of something like this that taps into electrical system, etc. I am sure I am stating the obvious but just in case...........

My wife's Volvo S80T6 has this -- kind of a nice feature but coming from an /06 Acura TL I really don't miss this on my A6! Heck, I'm still looking for the "key" and the hole to put it in to start my new Audi -- LOL.

Quick Reply: remote start for C7