Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

remote start for C7

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by OneOfOne
yes I do and it gets plenty damned cold at 4am in the winter. not even going to describe the hell of snow removal over 10 inches...
There's nothing funny at all about that. Our last winter was miserable - we had 80"+ total.

My SE Massachusetts house after a couple of storms last winter. We got over 80" total. This was taken after the roof was cleared of snow and ice.

Plowed front walk looks like a canyon

My snow blower got quite a workout. Seemed like every three days I was outside blowing snow to clear the driveway.

Our street. Normally flat front yards. And there was more yet to come before winter finally ended. Crazy.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I hope those who have retrofitted their C7s with remote start allow the car to remain locked. I would think that would require some coding (and/or maybe keyfob spoofing?) to achieve.
My Viper system's button is configured to remote start with a long keypress, and lock or unlock doors with a short keypress. Engine is killed automatically whenever someone opens a door either way. They have to incorporate the small emergency key into the system (think it's mounted near the emergency sensor) for it all to work. Can't start the car normally without a normal key though still.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snagitseven
There's nothing funny at all about that. Our last winter was miserable - we had 80"+ total.

My SE Massachusetts house after a couple of storms last winter. We got over 80" total. This was taken after the roof was cleared of snow and ice.

Plowed front walk looks like a canyon

My snow blower got quite a workout. Seemed like every three days I was outside blowing snow to clear the driveway.

Our street. Normally flat front yards. And there was more yet to come before winter finally ended. Crazy.
Trust me I can relate. My poor Weber grill was completely submerged and my back yard had nearly enough snow to reach five feet of my six foot vinyl fence.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Just an FYI, not necassary to have all the original photos included in a reply.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. What's all that white stuff in your front yard? Looks beautiful. Never get that in LA.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Snow. And lots of it.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Since you like the white stuff, more pictures for your viewing pleasure......I like the A6 better Yes, we see our fair share in Northeastern Ohio

Old 08-31-2015, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Acuransx
And above all (this I am sure is obvious to OP) do not let anyone other than experienced Audi tech or dealer start messing with installation of something like this that taps into electrical system, etc. I am sure I am stating the obvious but just in case...........

I will politely disagree with you on this point.

An Audi technician is about the LAST person you would want to install something like this. Audi technicians are not qualified for aftermarket installation of auto electronics. They are trained to follow the Audi repair manuals, and little else.

I was at an Audi dealer parts department ordering some parts for my S6. The guy at the parts desk calls over a service tech for help identifying the part I needed. The service tech asks which car I have. I said S6. He says: "Nice man! Is that supercharged or turbo charged?" These techs don't even know what's under the hoods of these cars, unless you find the rare tech that's actually an enthusiast.

I don't even trust most Audi dealerships to even do an oil change on my car. I have a dealer I like, and no one else touches my car but them. I'm lucky that I found a tech I like and who knows and loves my car like it was his own.

For an aftermarket alarm/remote start you need to find a good car audio electronics installer. Someone who does installs on german cars like ours on a regular basis.

By the way, I know an installer who does a TON of those Viper Smart Start systems. He says that modern alarm system installs are actually so much easier and less invasive than alarms used to be back in the 1990s. Nowhere near as many wires to link up anymore.

Last edited by subterFUSE; 08-31-2015 at 06:08 AM.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
I was at an Audi dealer parts department ordering some parts for my S6. The guy at the parts desk calls over a service tech for help identifying the part I needed. The service tech asks which car I have. I said S6. He says: "Nice man! Is that supercharged or turbo charged?"
So, which is it; turbocharged or supercharged? Or both?
Old 08-31-2015, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

S6 is turbo

Quick Reply: remote start for C7