Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Removing center console

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know how to remove the center console? I am wanting to vinyl wrap the wood trim carbon fiber in the center console. Any links or pictures would be appreciated! So far I have wrapped the door & dash trim. Name:  C893C644-96BD-48E8-A9F4-F5DD3A781FB1_zpsyratycm1.jpg
Views: 9481
Size:  53.9 KB Name:  4E33500D-A91F-443F-B8A7-6EAC6F777CE6_zpsum2oxt4n.jpg
Views: 11466
Size:  74.9 KB
Old 10-23-2014, 01:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Looks good so far. I want to have mine hydrogpraphic dipped. I am hesitant to remove any of the pieces.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Looks damn good. What wrap did you use? Were the panels easy to remove? I'd imagine they're just held in by clips and you just pop them off starting at one side and shimmying over to the other?

I've never used wrap before (only dip), but is it completely removable like dip is?

Thanks OP

Last edited by Seattlite_A6C7; 10-23-2014 at 09:09 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Seattlite_A6C7
Looks damn good. What wrap did you use? Were the panels easy to remove? I'd imagine they're just held in by clips and you just pop them off starting at one side and shimmying over to the other? I've never used wrap before (only dip), but is it completely removable like dip is? Thanks OP
Thanks. I use the 3M Carbon Fiber vinyl wrap.

The door trims are really easy to pop off and yep it's only held on by clips.

I was thinking about having it hydro dipped but will wait on that. I need to know how to remove the center console to wrap that part. And it is removable. If you feel like you want different vinyl wrap you can peel it off.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

We removed mine to build my ashtray compartment mod for the DSP volume control and radar/laser jammer controls. It's not very hard, but you will need some tools.

If I remember correctly, you start by using a plastic "panel popper" tool on the outside edges of the trim to lift the trim out of the clips. The shifter will need to be moved to the D or N position as you lift up the trim. (Engage parking brake first) There will be 2 bolts or screws (can't remember which) on either side of the shifter once you get the trim lifted, so you can release the entire assembly from the console.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
We removed mine to build my ashtray compartment mod for the DSP volume control and radar/laser jammer controls. It's not very hard, but you will need some tools. If I remember correctly, you start by using a plastic "panel popper" tool on the outside edges of the trim to lift the trim out of the clips. The shifter will need to be moved to the D or N position as you lift up the trim. (Engage parking brake first) There will be 2 bolts or screws (can't remember which) on either side of the shifter once you get the trim lifted, so you can release the entire assembly from the console.
So we don't need to remove the side panels to remove the center console? Just use the panel tool to lift the trim off?
Old 10-26-2014, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by audia612
So we don't need to remove the side panels to remove the center console? Just use the panel tool to lift the trim off?
If you are talking about removing the wood trim around the shifter, then no. You don't need to remove the side panels if I remember correctly.
I watched my installer remove the trim and the ashtray compartment in a matter of about 3 minutes. It would have been faster, but he forgot about the 2 screws and had to walk across the shop to get a screwdriver.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
If you are talking about removing the wood trim around the shifter, then no. You don't need to remove the side panels if I remember correctly. I watched my installer remove the trim and the ashtray compartment in a matter of about 3 minutes. It would have been faster, but he forgot about the 2 screws and had to walk across the shop to get a screwdriver.
Yeah the wood trim around the mmi controls. I want to take that out and vinyl wrap it.

I've tried to use the plastic panel tool to remove it but it seems like it'll break and then I'll be effed up lol.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Do you have pictures of how to remove the door trim or what tools did you use?
Old 10-30-2014, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Janno Raschinski
Do you have pictures of how to remove the door trim or what tools did you use?
I do not but I just use the panel removing tool you can get from auto parts store and start front the inner side and then around. It is really easy to pop off.

Quick Reply: Removing center console