Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Replacing Goodyear Eagle LS2 tires on NEW A6?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Goodyear tires on NEW A6? Wheels and Tires Suggestions?

Hi all,

Looking for some feedbacks from owners that have replaced their OE Goodyear Eagle LS2 tires that comes with the car.

Being in the Northeast, the Conti DWS06 sounds like the best option at the moment.

If you did replaced, did you experience a significant different in ride quality, noise, handling, etc.

I am on the fence about replacing them now (got 50 miles on them), or wait until summer to replace the Goodyear with Conti DWS06. If there is a huge difference in quality, then it definitely make sense to replace now. If not, I guess I will wait until winter.

Thanks,

Last edited by thehaviet; 05-01-2016 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the LS2s on mine when I got it. They are complete garbage and really let the car down. I wouldn't think twice about upgrading them. With such few miles on them, you can post them in the Classifieds and likely recoup some of your cost for the new tires. I went to a summer tire (Conti 5P's) as I can get away with using it year round, you can't in the NE.

The DWS06 is a great choice for a UHPAS tire.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 4.2 Dreamer
I had the LS2s on mine when I got it. They are complete garbage and really let the car down. I wouldn't think twice about upgrading them. With such few miles on them, you can post them in the Classifieds and likely recoup some of your cost for the new tires. I went to a summer tire (Conti 5P's) as I can get away with using it year round, you can't in the NE.

The DWS06 is a great choice for a UHPAS tire.
Agree....and have also installed DWS06. They are an excellent balance of ride comfort, handling, traction, quiet. My wife is enjoying them quite a bit as replacements for the mediocre original ContiProContacts as the A6 is hers.

There is another current thread going on tires, and if you wish specifically to step up the performance aspect, somewhat with a trade-off of quiet/comfort, there are other choices to consider first.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for replies guys. Sound like I should replace. The Audi does deserve good tires, especially if these OE Eagle LS2 are below average. I only got 50 miles on it, so my experience is some what limited with these tires

What other tires should I consider besides the DSW06. I am in the Northeast region so we have a good 3-4 months if snow from several inches to more than a foot. So, I need an AS set that also perform very well in snow, and it seems like the DWS06 fits the bill quite well.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by thehaviet
What other tires should I consider besides the DSW06. I am in the Northeast region so we have a good 3-4 months if snow from several inches to more than a foot. So, I need an AS set that also perform very well in snow, and it seems like the DWS06 fits the bill quite well.
There is no such tire, unfortunately. Even the DWS06, the leader of the pack for coping with light snow, is not designed for anything more than a modest amount, and certainly not what the Northeast can experience. There is a long history of tests, publications, etc., testing all season tires in winter and the inescapable conclusion is that, while some can help get your car moving better than others, none can provide a reasonable safe capability to deal with braking/steering (when Quattro has zero benefit) if and when you need to take evasive action. Those who claim they've done well to date, simply haven't been in that kind of situation yet where the tires make the difference.

I suggest checking out tirerack.com for not only wheels/tire winter setup but for a local installer in your area who will store your off-season set. It's then just a quick jack and lugnut swap, NASCAR style.

EDIT: Suggest you consider Michelin XIce xi3 or Blizzak WS80 for winter, narrow a size as possible.....not Michelin Alpin PA4 or Blizzak LM tires which are so called "performance winter", excelling at neither.

Last edited by Sportstick; 05-01-2016 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

If that's the case, then I would need 2 sets of rim for summer and winter tires?

Is it worth it to upgrade to 19" rims for my summer tires?
What rims would you recommend that would be perfect fit for the A6 3.0? What are good brands and styles for the A6? Sorry, I am all very new to these car things.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by thehaviet
If that's the case, then I would need 2 sets of rim for summer and winter tires?

Is it worth it to upgrade to 19" rims for my summer tires?
What rims would you recommend that would be perfect fit for the A6 3.0? What are good brands and styles for the A6? Sorry, I am all very new to these car things.
PM Sent
Old 05-01-2016, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Sportstick
There is no such tire, unfortunately. Even the DWS06, the leader of the pack for coping with light snow, is not designed for anything more than a modest amount, and certainly not what the Northeast can experience. There is a long history of tests, publications, etc., testing all season tires in winter and the inescapable conclusion is that, while some can help get your car moving better than others, none can provide a reasonable safe capability to deal with braking/steering (when Quattro has zero benefit) if and when you need to take evasive action. Those who claim they've done well to date, simply haven't been in that kind of situation yet where the tires make the difference.

I suggest checking out tirerack.com for not only wheels/tire winter setup but for a local installer in your area who will store your off-season set. It's then just a quick jack and lugnut swap, NASCAR style.

EDIT: Suggest you consider Michelin XIce xi3 or Blizzak WS80 for winter, narrow a size as possible.....not Michelin Alpin PA4 or Blizzak LM tires which are so called "performance winter", excelling at neither.

Good advice here, especially with you living in the NE. The decision to have 2 sets of wheels/tires is one of cost, space, but also best tire/wheel for the conditions based on where you live and will drive the car. A great summer tire in the proper conditions will extract the most performance from the car. The same will hold true with a winter tire in the proper conditions. In both scenarios, the right tire/wheel combo will inspire confidence in you as a driver.

If you are considering two sets of wheels/tires, Tire Rack (no affiliation) is a great site to go to for research, user reviews, purchasing, and recomended installers. I can't offer advice on winter tires. With respect to summer tires, I've had experience with Michelin Pilot Super Sports and Continental 5Ps on the A6 and both are outstanding tires that really wake this platform up. Not sure what size/offset wheel you're currently running, but for a summer tire/wheel combo, I've found a 20X9 wheel with an offset of ET32-35 running a 265/35 tire is a great fit visually and gives you a slightly wider track and larger contact patch on the road.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am just running stock rim and tires right now so I am not sure what their sizes are.

If I go with bigger rims and tires, does that require modification to my car?
Old 05-01-2016, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Any suggestions on wheels? What brand and style for the A6? Size? 19 or 20?

Tirerack doesn't seem to have much reviews on wheels.

Quick Reply: Replacing Goodyear Eagle LS2 tires on NEW A6?