Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Retrofitting front parking camera

Old 09-22-2012, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Retrofitting front parking camera

Hello,

I have a 2012 A6, and I always kind of wished I had the new front parking camera that comes with the 2013 models that have the innovation package, as the corner views they provide seem to be quite handy.

Today I accidentally found out kufatec is selling the new front & rear parking cameras: http://www.kufatec.de/shop/en/Audi/A...ear-Audi-A6-4G

The price is a bit expensive, but I have a few other concerns about it other than the price.

I've never retrofitted anything to a car, so I was wondering how difficult would it be if I purchased that kit in the link and tried to install it myself.

Given the fact that I'm a total newbie with retrofitting things, do you think this is something I'd be able to do without much trouble?

Other than the kit above, are there any other things I need to get in order to do the installation? (e.g. special tools)

Also, do Audi dealers provide help with these kind of installations?

Thanks in advance for any input-
Old 09-22-2012, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, great find! I wonder if this also includes the Front side and rear side cameras as well? If so, I might be sold on this... I already e-mailed them about that.

It is expensive.

I personally think this might be hard, you may need to remove the wheels to access the side cameras (If they're even included). This being a high-end German car, you have to be extremely delicate with it. I recommend getting help every step otherwise you may break something and do further damage.

I'll personally be consulting with a body shop if I ever get these.

You even have to replace the rear camera with theirs.

Audi dealers would help you, but really depends on your relationship.

Lastly, it says it needs to be sent to the dealer to be coded, I'm thinking Vag-Com-ing the car would do the trick. I've seen it in the options I think.

I really hope it includes the side cameras, I thought about these things 5 years ago.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by agjil
I've never retrofitted anything to a car, so I was wondering how difficult would it be if I purchased that kit in the link and tried to install it myself.
Start with a copy of the installation instructions to familiarize yourself with the scope of the project.

Given the fact that I'm a total newbie with retrofitting things, do you think this is something I'd be able to do without much trouble?
It sounds like you might have trouble. Don't let that stop you. You can do it - it just might take you longer.

Other than the kit above, are there any other things I need to get in order to do the installation? (e.g. special tools)
You will know better after you read the installation instructions.

Also, do Audi dealers provide help with these kind of installations?
They do - for a price. You probably do better if you contacted a local forum or a sound system installer. Nobody is going to be an Audi expert but many people have installed things on other makes.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

If you meant the front and rear corner views when you said side views, someone told me that those views are provided by the front and rear cameras in the package, and no separate side cameras are needed for the corner views.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you meant the front and rear corner views when you said side views, someone told me that those views are provided by the front and rear cameras in the package, and no separate side cameras are needed for the corner views.
Hmm interesting, are you sure?

Because I can't see the camera hooked on the grill provide such a wide view... or my rear one for that matter....

I'd like to add that BMW has cameras on the front wheel wells which provide the corner views. Not sure about the back though...
Old 09-22-2012, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well, the person who told me about it seemed to be pretty sure, although I can't say I'll guarantee he's 100% right.
What makes me believe him is that the kufatec website says you need to install the new rear camera that comes with the package, even though you already have one.
If the new rear camera is the same as the one we currently have in our cars, I can't think of a reason they would say we need to replace the existing one.
So I think it's because the new rear camera provides the side views as well, and so should the front camera.

I don't think BMW provides rear side views: I think it only has the front side views, and as you said, it is provided through the 2 side cameras located near the front wheels.
Essentially I think Audi provides the side views through the font/rear cameras where BMW has dedicated side view cameras.

But again, I may be wrong, so if someone who actually has a 2013 model with the innovation package could comment on this, I'd really appreciate it.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

But again, I may be wrong, so if someone who actually has a 2013 model with the innovation package could comment on this, I'd really appreciate it.
Looking at the 2013 S8, I think he's right, the one at my dealer is fully loaded with a front camera... and there is only one.

I'm actually quite interested, but still can't pull the trigger on a 2k upgrade, unless I can sell my current set up for a decent price...

Jeez 2k... the more I think about the more redic that price sounds. I bet I can get it cheaper.

The parts the I would need are the clamps and new connections, along with the 2 new cameras.

Last edited by Metallic-Force; 09-22-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah the price is what is preventing me from pulling the trigger too.
Why do they need to sell it for such a high price?
It would be a dream if Amazon sells these things. hehe.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FIrst of all, thanks agjil for the great find.

Well, since my souped up MY12 didn't come with a reverse camera and my Audi dealer ordered all the parts, but couldn't install them since my vehicle is missing some wires for the control module. Having said that, I might just bite at this. For starters, $2K is about the same I was quoted for just the reverse camera system (parts + labor), so this kit adds a front camera as a bonus.

I contacted the seller over a couple of days ago. I am trying to get more information from them as to how difficult a task it would be to self install a kit like this. If and when I have updates, I will post them here.
Old 11-27-2015, 02:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys, so how is it going with the cameras?

I have checked everywhere, and yes, there is only one camera front/back that provides the side view.. and gosh... I want those side cams as well, but the price is too much ... did anyone ordered yet? could someone share the part numbers? maybe we could build up our own set for a lower price? kufatec sels just the harnest cables, for 200e, so You just need the 2 cameras. Ive asked my audi dealer and they said that the ECU for the front/rear sensors is the same as for the two cams, so no need for a new ECU (or lets say You can connect the sensors with the cameras together into one ECU)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Retrofitting front parking camera