Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Sat Nav woes

Old 08-29-2014, 09:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no idea, it has two exhausts!
Old 08-29-2014, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Regarding 'send to car'. Unfortunately, this feature is not described very well anywhere, so here is what you need to understand.

When you search for a location in Google Maps and then send it to the car, it sends two things. The actual GPS coordinates of the location along with the display form of the location's "address".

When you pull it up in the car you should see two "addresses". The first one is what the MMI refers to as the navigation destination and the second one is the display form of that location. The key is to always select the first one. That is the exact location that you found in Google Maps. Now if you only search for a postcode than it's probably in the geographical center of the postcode not on an actual road so what you'll see in the car are the GPS coordinates of the center of the postcode according to Google Maps.

If you search for an actual address in Google Maps or a POI or a business, you will see that address and not just the GPS coordinates.

If instead you pick the display form of the location, then the MMI has to first parse it and that may not work if it is not in a format that the MMI understands.

If you want locations to show up by name in last destinations, you first have to import the destinations from myAudi into the MMI's directory. You can import all destinations at once or you can pull up an individual one and save it into the directory.

EDIT: Thought I'd illustrate the above with a picture. This is a restaurant I looked up on Google Maps during one of my recent road trips and sent it to the car. I picked this example on purpose, because it shows the important difference between the navigation destination and in this case the mailing address of the restaurant. Melville Rd is the mailing address of the restaurant, but the physical location of the restaurant is actually in the back corner of the building and accessible from Locust St. So Google Maps correctly sent the mailing address to myAudi, but more importantly it sent the GPS coordinates of the physical location, which the MMI then correctly placed near Locust St. That's why the navigation destination in this particular example is different from the mailing address of the business. If the MMI can't place the GPS coordinates near a street, it will display the raw GPS coordinates. That's what seems to happen in your case. But the important point is to always select the entry with the destination flag next to it if you want the MMI to actually route you to the place you picked on Google Maps.

Last edited by superswiss; 08-29-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank your for you help Superswiss, indeed this is where I have gone wrong, I always pick the second address as this typically tallys with the address of the location, i.e on their website. The first location on the mmi always looks wrong so I avoid it.

I think Audi could have presented this more sensibly. I would also say that if I save location from this point, it wants to save it as a Name contact, i.e. first/last name. However if I save a destination to favourites its just a location name.

Again this is very confusing, my addressbook/favs is pretty much a mess now.

I'll give the first address a go and see how I get on.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I was confused at the beginning as well. It was the same for me. The first address looked wrong most of the time, so I always picked the second one. That was never really an issue as the MMI can properly parse a US address coming from Google Maps. But then I figured out that the first one is actually backed by the true GPS coordinates of the location and that it doesn't have to parse it. It clicked for me when after a while I noticed that when you pick the first address you actually see the GPS coordinates on the next screen grayed out under the address.

This structure is consistent throughout the system. If you look at the Directory, each contact has two addresses for business and home. It's the same thing there. The first one is the actual navigation destination and the second one is what gets synced from your phone and before you can actually navigate to any address in your contacts you first have to let it parse the address coming from your phone's contacts and store it as the navigation destination for that contact. After that you can for example use a voice command and say "Navigate to John Smith".
Old 08-31-2014, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have found that addresses often don't store and format correctly for navigation. Although I use the send to car android app occasionally, it is easier to simply store them in your phone's address book and have them sync over bt and navigate from there. Again, though, they don't always store properly. Sometimes the entire address gets stored on the street field making it impossible for the phone to parse.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by HaveBlue
Again, though, they don't always store properly. Sometimes the entire address gets stored on the street field making it impossible for the phone to parse.
The source of this issue is Google Contacts. It was the main reason I switched to Outlook.com for managing my contacts a long time ago. I've had issues like this when syncing contacts from Google Contacts to non-Google devices, either directly or indirectly via BT.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by superswiss

When you pull it up in the car you should see two "addresses". The first one is what the MMI refers to as the navigation destination and the second one is the display form of that location. The key is to always select the first one. That is the exact location that you found in Google Maps. Now if you only search for a postcode than it's probably in the geographical center of the postcode not on an actual road so what you'll see in the car are the GPS coordinates of the center of the postcode according to Google Maps.
Thanks for sharing this, it all makes sense to me now!
Old 09-02-2014, 12:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yea its slowly coming together for me, I am starting to get it! Overly complicated, but I suppose more options is better than less.

Does anyone have experience of using iPhone contacts for navigation, I have not tried this yet as to be fair I don't have many addresses against contacts, but would probably make the effort if it works.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

One other question, how are people getting on with traffic data?

On my BMW it would offer a detor if the current direction of travel had issues up front, this one seems to inform there is **** ahead, but I cannot see any options anywhere to offer me another way.

Also on the cheapest tomtom nav, you can specify to avoid a road on the journey, for instance if you know that there is something ahead that you want to avoid. A case in point roudn this way last week was 'dorset steam festival' which has one main road in which is totally and utterly chocker for two days. On a tomtom you would just say avoid part of route and select that road, boom its avoided.

I am supposing my ultra expensive satnav option pack has no such options?

One other observation, it will kindly tell me about traffic and issues on roads that have nothing to do with my journey in my field of view dash, why?
Old 09-02-2014, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by garethsnaim
One other question, how are people getting on with traffic data?

On my BMW it would offer a detor if the current direction of travel had issues up front, this one seems to inform there is **** ahead, but I cannot see any options anywhere to offer me another way.

Also on the cheapest tomtom nav, you can specify to avoid a road on the journey, for instance if you know that there is something ahead that you want to avoid. A case in point roudn this way last week was 'dorset steam festival' which has one main road in which is totally and utterly chocker for two days. On a tomtom you would just say avoid part of route and select that road, boom its avoided.

I am supposing my ultra expensive satnav option pack has no such options?

One other observation, it will kindly tell me about traffic and issues on roads that have nothing to do with my journey in my field of view dash, why?
My nav greys out traffic issues if they are not in the selected route.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sat Nav woes