Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

SDXD Compatible

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Metallic-Force
Not a problem, I'll happily put my geek on anywhere I can.

I'm happy to report it was able to read 50GB worth of music, it's a little over 4,000 files and 100 folders.

You can also import individual music or folders from the SD cards. I'm going to try and see if it can play any other media files. If it can play DVDs, it must be able to read VOB files.

OMG, it can play AVI files! But it will not play while moving.
Its able to play AVI files?

With the help of the VAG-COM cable you can probably remove the safety feature of not being able to watch while moving. I did it on my car.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by javicadena
Ok so this is a lot of info, what is the best way to organize the folders? What software would I use to create playlists? Just thinking about how would I play 4000 songs
Well, right now I'm just organizing them myself using folders. So no software needed for this. But I did notice lag scrolling with more than 100 files in a folder.

Windows Media Player seems to be able to organize the music, every time I pop that SD in my computer WMP pops up.

Originally Posted by dht34
Its able to play AVI files?

With the help of the VAG-COM cable you can probably remove the safety feature of not being able to watch while moving. I did it on my car.
Yeah it played it well, the sound was great. I couldn't complain. I think this media compatibility is coming from the greatness of Tegra.

I'll try to use different video codecs, I didn't bother trying .mkv but maybe now it's worth a try.

I'd like to do the VAG-COM, how much is it? and where do I get it from?
Old 03-08-2012, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

The only downside of using the SD cards is that the file names show up as actual names...the ID3 tags are much easier to look at and sort. Like so many file names start with numbers or album names, etc...hate to see that. Wish there was a setting to just see ID3 tags..like with music players...makes it easier to look for songs too.
Can't really rename them as well since already sucked into iTunes and it would completely mess up iTunes...any suggestions?
Old 03-08-2012, 08:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Can you be more specific about this VAG-COM cable? Not sure I know what cable this is?
Thanks,
Old 03-08-2012, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are a couple of pics of the "Audi MMI Navigation+" manual (Pg 21 top right) that show the specs for the SD card slots

Old 03-08-2012, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by manishaudi
Here are a couple of pics of the "Audi MMI Navigation+" manual (Pg 21 top right) that show the specs for the SD card slots
Can you take these down, I know it was never meant to be SDXD compatible.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Thanks for the great work pushing beyond the published specs and to see what is possible.

Having 64 GB is helpful for storing movies, if that is what you want.

Did you still find the 4000 file limit in place?
Old 03-08-2012, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Metallic-Force

Yeah it played it well, the sound was great. I couldn't complain. I think this media compatibility is coming from the greatness of Tegra.

I'll try to use different video codecs, I didn't bother trying .mkv but maybe now it's worth a try.

I'd like to do the VAG-COM, how much is it? and where do I get it from?

http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCHUC.html
Old 09-29-2014, 03:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Some formats I have tried

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread but I could not find a movie compatibility thread inside the C7 forums anywhere so I thought I would update this one with what I have found:

I am not able to even get the MMI to see a .mkv file on the SD card. I can get it to both read and play .avi and .mpg files. I have also tried .divx files and .mp4 files and while it can see them on the card, it has been unable to play either format (for me at least) and once it tries the files become grayed out (presumably because it is was unreadable). I recognize that there are a lot of other variables that come into play like format and audio, but for my purposes I have concluded it is only worthwhile to put .avi or .mpg files on the SD card. Hope that saves someone some digging.

With active lane assist, ACC, and VIM the SD card movie option has become viable (albeit illegal) entertainment for long interstate road trips. I for one no longer collect DVDs of any kind and the ones I do have are blu ray so the SD card video playback has been a very pleasant surprise on my 13 C7.