Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Seat leather stretching after 2 weeks?

Old 01-19-2014, 07:39 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by feralc
happened to me last year in the passenger's seat, wrinkage and sagging, I complained, Audi said that was normal wear and tear, so i told them if that is the case how the driver's is not showing it, when for sure there is always someone driving, but not always a passenger. with that argument they agreed to replace the passenger's side, and NOW the driver's is showing the same, I will try now to use the argument that the passengers side has been replaced under warranty and now the driver's is showing the same, lets see what happens. I have that in my list of things to fix next time I am in service along with 1 weird fan noise when the AC is at 3-4 2 Wind noise on driver's side at freeway speeds.
I went to the dealer on Friday and I showed them my drivers seat, they will replace the bottom cushion and stretch the leather, I asked them why not replace the whole thing like they did last time with my passengers, and they said when that happened my car had a little more of one year and 14k miles and according to the rep Audi does replace upholstery within the first year and 12k miles, because my car was barely over that they asked for an exception, but now with 20k miles Audi will only replace the cushion.
so I hope it gets better with the stretching and the new cushion.
Another thing I have noticed is the drivers leather looks more shining than the others, like the leather brand new has this matte finish and now I have been polishing with my butt I guess.
Anybody has noticed the same thing?
Old 01-20-2014, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Street
As far as the color mismatch, the C7 door panels are leather. They match the Premium's seats, but not the Prestige.
I checked with my dealer and again they told me that in the P and P+ here in the US there is leather only on the seating surfaces. My tactile and visual senses told me that before confirming with the dealer. If you check the AoA site under Features they use the words “leather seating surfaces” for the P and P+ and “perforated leather seating surfaces” for the Prestige. The S6 lists “Valcona leather seats with contrast diamond stitching.” Whether the S6 has leather on the doors and areas like the armrest I do not know, but at least the S6 offers full leather seats.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

After owning four Audis with leather seating surfaces I can say that all of them have/had stretched or worn to one degree or another over the years (the softer ones more so than the stiffer ones). Just like my overly-expensive leather couch and loveseat at home, the material will stretch and show wear, sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on use and the type of leather. While it's certainly possible to have a manufacturing defect, my experience shows that it's generally the nature of the beast. About the only thing you can do over the long haul, is to periodically maintain the leather with a good care product.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I checked with my dealer and again they told me that in the P and P+ here in the US there is leather only on the seating surfaces. My tactile and visual senses told me that before confirming with the dealer. If you check the AoA site under Features they use the words “leather seating surfaces” for the P and P+ and “perforated leather seating surfaces” for the Prestige. The S6 lists “Valcona leather seats with contrast diamond stitching.” Whether the S6 has leather on the doors and areas like the armrest I do not know, but at least the S6 offers full leather seats.
Yes, on my P+ there are definitely two different materials used. The leather is much thicker and is prone to getting deformed, but this does not bother me that much.

As far as I can tell (and anyone is welcome to confirm or deny), the leather is only on the backrest center, seat base center and seat base door-side section.

Everything else is synthetic including the seat base inner sections beside the center console, backrest side bolsters (both sides), head rests, armrest, door panels, rear center seat. This material is definitely softer and more elastic so it doesn't deform.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:42 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't mind the perforated leather, that's one of the reasons for going prestige, so that you can have vented seats on long trips. It's a bummer that the extended leather option a'la the S6 isn't available. But I guess the bolsters don't really need to be leather when they will be getting the majority of ingress/egress exposure. I'd accept the seats stretching or gathering and I'd think that goes with the territory of having soft leather. The two materials won't wear out similarly, but overall, I think they stand a chance to last for 10 years or double that if properly maintained. Could the stretching be the result of posture or seat position? I tend to keep the front of the bottom cushion relatively low but still maintain a wedge profile.