Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

slow 0-60?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 05:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NABS4
Are you left foot braking and letting the revs build before you launch, or just punching the gas? What elevation and temperature? There's lots of variables at play and my understanding is that the mags normalize their results to reflect sea level numbers.

Tempature is about 70 degrees and I live near the beach. My car doesn't have launch control so I'm not not using break and gas at the same time
Old 02-15-2017, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

There are several reasons why magazines get better numbers than in real life:

- The 'brake-torque' technique, which is actually not too damaging on conventional automatics. 'Launch control' on dual clutch transmissions and dumping the clutch on a manual can be damaging to the clutch.

- Correction for atmospheric conditions which is explained in the Edmunds article linked below.

- Rollout, which I will copy from this Edmunds article: https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/...nd-trucks.html

A Few Words About Rollout
The term "rollout" might not be familiar, but it comes from the drag strip. The arrangement of the timing beams for drag racing can be confusing, primarily because the 7-inch separation between the "pre-stage" and "stage" beams is not the source of rollout. The pre-stage beam, which has no effect on timing, is only there to help drivers creep up to the starting position. Rollout comes from the 1-foot separation (11.5 inches, actually) between the point where the leading edge of a front tire "rolls in" to the final staging beam — triggering the countdown to the green light that starts the race — and the point where the trailing edge of that tire "rolls out" of that same beam, the triggering event that starts the clock. A driver skilled at "shallow staging" can therefore get almost a free foot of untimed acceleration before the clock officially starts, effectively achieving a rolling-start velocity of 3-5 mph and shaving the 0.3 second it typically takes to cover that distance off his elapsed time (ET) in the process.

We believe the use of rollout for quarter-mile timed runs is appropriate, as this test is designed to represent an optimum drag strip run that a car owner can replicate at a drag strip. In the spirit of consistency, we also follow NHRA practice when calculating quarter-mile trap speed at the end of the run. So we publish the average speed over the final 66 feet of the quarter-mile run, even though our VBOX can tell us the instantaneous speed at the end of the 1,320-foot course, which is usually faster.

On the other hand, the use of rollout with 0-60 times is inappropriate in our view. For one, 0-60-mph acceleration is not a drag-racing convention. More important, it's called ZERO to 60 mph, not 3 or 4 mph to 60 mph, which is what you get when you apply rollout. While it is tempting to use rollout in order to make 0-60 acceleration look more impressive by 0.3 second, thereby hyping both the car's performance and the apparent skill of the test driver, we think it's cheating.

Nevertheless, some car magazines and some automobile manufacturers use rollout anyway — and fail to tell their customers. We've decided against this practice. We publish real 0-60 times instead. But in order to illuminate this issue and ensure we do justice to every car's real performance, we've begun publishing a clearly marked "with rollout" 0-60 time alongside the primary no-rollout 0-60 time so readers can see the effects of this bogus practice.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Nlevin86
i recently purchased a new 2017 A6 3.0t Quattro premium plus. I followed the owners Manuel for proper break in and once I hit 1,000 miles, I thought i would see what it could really do. Seemed a little slower than I expended so I though I would clock the 0-60 time. Every time I keep getting 5.5 seconds. Several sources claimed they were able to hit 4.6. Now I understand I'm using a timer so there is probably a few tenths of second difference in my response and accuracy, but still. Any thoughts or suggestion ?
It might take 5.5s depending on which mode (ADS and transmission) the car is in, whether you are brake boosting or not, whether TCS is off or on, etc.

I tried a couple of 0-60 runs in my stock 2017 A7 (specs in my signature). I brake boosted the car upto around 2200 rpms (I didn't want to stress the car too much since it was straining), ADS in Dynamic, transmission in S, TCS disabled. I got between 4.7 and 4.9s for the 0-60 run and 11.8-12s for 0-100, according to the speedo. If I could brake boost it more, times would probably have reduced a bit.
Here is a video I shot of the speedo using my mobile phone cam (sorry for the clarity and shakes - try viewing it in HD for some clarity).

Edit - Just read your last post. You get a 5.5s time because you don't brake boost and started off from idle. Nothing to worry about. The numbers magazines claim are all corrected times done with brake boost/launch control, TCS off, car in dynamic/race/whatever more, etc. The A7 is a pretty fast car.

Last edited by VipinLJ; 02-15-2017 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
It might take 5.5s depending on which mode (ADS and transmission) the car is in, whether you are brake boosting or not, whether TCS is off or on, etc.

I tried a couple of 0-60 runs in my stock 2017 A7 (specs in my signature). I brake boosted the car upto around 2200 rpms (I didn't want to stress the car too much since it was straining), ADS in Dynamic, transmission in S, TCS disabled. I got between 4.7 and 4.9s for the 0-60 run and 11.8-12s for 0-100, according to the speedo. If I could brake boost it more, times would probably have reduced a bit.
Here is a video I shot of the speedo using my mobile phone cam (sorry for the clarity and shakes - try viewing it in HD for some clarity).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rrnv55GFBd4

Edit - Just read your last post. You get a 5.5s time because you don't brake boost and started off from idle. Nothing to worry about. The numbers magazines claim are all corrected times done with brake boost/launch control, TCS off, car in dynamic/race/whatever more, etc. The A7 is a pretty fast car.
i don't have launch control so won't break boosting be bad for the car ? If not, what is your technique for break boosting ? I assume holding the break down with left
food and using your right foot to rev up the rpms !?
Old 02-15-2017, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

i don't have launch control so won't break boosting be bad for the car ? If not, what is your technique for break boosting ? I assume holding the break down with left
food and using your right foot to rev up the rpms !?
Yes. Our cars don't have LC because of the ZF transmission. Cars with the dsg box has LC.

My technique is:

1. ADS in Dynamic, transmission in Sport
2. TCS disabled
3. Left foot on the brake (push it as hard as you can)
4. Right foot down on the accelerator

When the revs rose to around 2200rpms, the car felt like it was straining to move forward. Lifted off the brake at that time.

Yes. It definitely is bad. I do not recommend doing it multiple times. I did it thrice in my A7. No more.

Btw, I've tried the method you did in my old A6 and that car did the run in 5.4s, like you mentioned.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
Yes. Our cars don't have LC because of the ZF transmission. Cars with the dsg box has LC.

My technique is:

1. ADS in Dynamic, transmission in Sport
2. TCS disabled
3. Left foot on the brake (push it as hard as you can)
4. Right foot down on the accelerator

When the revs rose to around 2200rpms, the car felt like it was straining to move forward. Lifted off the brake at that time.

Yes. It definitely is bad. I do not recommend doing it multiple times. I did it thrice in my A7. No more.

Btw, I've tried the method you did in my old A6 and that car did the run in 5.4s, like you mentioned.
when I timed it I was definitely in dynamic mode and and in s mode. Even had traction off. Just didn't use the break boost method. What year was your A6?
Old 02-15-2017, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

2017 A7 C7.5 I bought towards the end of November 2016 (2.5 months old). 333/325. Bone stock.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes but Audi, motor trend, and a few other companies that reviewed the car claim to get it to 60 in 4.6/4.7 seconds

That seems fast IMO. They also have guys that have perfected 0-60 and 1/4 mile times in these cars. They do it over and over and over again.

My tuned 3.0T A6 did 0-60 in 4.5 w/ a 12.9 1/4 mile.

Last edited by 65x47Lapua; 02-18-2017 at 08:36 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Transporter208
5.2 all day long if it were a TDI. Just saying.
That's assuming you could still buy a new one. Not.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Note that with a full acceleration there is no throttle or shift point differences whatsoever between Dynamic/S mode and Auto or Comfort. Full throttle overrides the maps and provides max fuel and redline shift points. There is no magic extra horsepower in Dynamic or S mode.

Quick Reply: slow 0-60?