Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

So hard choosing color

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 04:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So hard choosing color

Opinions would be appreciated - color choice is tough.
Ready to order a 2015 A6 Premium Plus Quattro, probably the 3.0 (gonna give the 2.0 another test drive - car is for my wife, she likes the 2.0 but I fell in love with the 3.0).

Anyway, why does Audi offer so many shades of grey and silver, and no merlot type color or dark metallic green, on the A6?

At first we were pretty set on Moonlight Blue, but the more we looked at it the less we liked it.

We are now between Dakota grey or Aviator blue. This 2nd color looks great on Audi's build site, but my dealer does not have a car in that color to see in real life.

Black and White are out for my wife, so is red as she this would then be her 4th red car in a row.
Choices, choices!

Between Dakota and Aviator, which would you choose? Anybody have an Aviator blue car that they can post pics of?
Old 07-02-2014, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just do a Google image search for "Aviator blue Audi A6".

There are a bunch of pictures available online.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

It is hard to choose a color when the only colors available are Aviator, Moonlight and Red. All the other choices are selections from white to black which, by definition, are degrees of reflectivity of luminance without any chrominance.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

jatp & DB22,
Thanks for the responses.
I did find pics using Google - sometimes one does not think of simple solutions.

Would still like color opinions though.
Maybe (but I'm not holding my breath) there will be additional color choices for 2015
Old 07-02-2014, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DB22
It is hard to choose a color when the only colors available are Aviator, Moonlight and Red. All the other choices are selections from white to black which, by definition, are degrees of reflectivity of luminance without any chrominance.
ROFL - I love it. In the spirit of 4th of July I offer that you'd be the kid who answers "Two!" when asked by his teacher how many colors are in the American flag!
Old 07-02-2014, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

One thing to remember is that Aviator Blue looks greenish in most lights. If you like green then it won't be an issue but if you do not like green you will need to see the color on a car in different lighting conditions before making a decision. My car is most of the time greenish gray and only in bright sunlight more blueish.

And there is always the option or special order any (Audi) color for an extra premium (was it $2700?).
Old 07-02-2014, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 'Ski
Opinions would be appreciated - color choice is tough.
I would strongly suggest you find a car in the color you like and see it in person. (I had to go to Munich to see Estoril Blue originally, but that's a different story )

In that vein, be aware that you can do Audi Exclusive and get any color you wish for $2500 (maybe plus paint costs if it's a non-Audi color? no personal experience.)

The Audi Forum Neckarsulm has a very nice Audi Exclusive studio where you can see a ton of different paint and interior options. If such had been available in the US, I might have gone AE for my car...
Old 07-02-2014, 08:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you really want to get a good idea on color, check the Carmax inventory in your area or other used car inventories. Go see what a car looks like that is a year old and been sitting outside with some dust, it is a much better representation than the brand new one in a showroom.

Last time I was in the dealership I saw a car on the floor and thought wow that color is freaking awesome. When I checked the window sticker I saw it was the same quartz grey metallic as my car. I keep my car spotless and it still doesn't look like the one in the showroom. Showrooms are the car equivalent of beer goggles.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by kobanna
Showrooms are the car equivalent of beer goggles.
ROFLMAO! The force is strong in this one!

(Doesn't make it less true, just very funny!)
Old 07-02-2014, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a 2014 Dakota Gray 3.0 TSFI, and really like the color. It is a little bland when it is raining, but in the sun it really stands out. It is very classy in appearance. Most of the nice cars in my neighborhood (BMW, Mercedes Benz, Audi, etc.) are black, and look similar to one another. That being said, my wife and kids don't like the color, so choose wisely.

Quick Reply: So hard choosing color