Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

So what would you do if you found a hole In a used car you just Bought?

Old 08-27-2016, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

If the selling dealer had bothered to put the up car on a rack and do some checking, they would have seen the damage and found the brakes to be deficient. Also, they didn't bother to get it inspected for you. Your mechanic had no trouble finding both.

If the shop is registered with Carfax, it could show up as a body repair with no details. If so, that will stay with the car forever for anyone who runs a Carfax report in the future.

Sorry you are having these issues but this is a good example of buying a car in another state without performing due diligence. Anyone attempting this should have the car inspected by an independent tech before any sale is consummated - if a dealer refuses, you pass. Also, running your own Carfax and a request to see service records is critical. There are just too many things to look out for visible or not and verbal promises by a selling dealer on a used car, especially from one in another state who will not be servicing your car, are not worth the free coffee in their customer lounge. I sincerely hope it all works out for you one way or the other.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I did do a Auto Check report, Auto check is another company that does this kind of thing and competes with Carfax. So i did check and its listed clean. But if you have a car fax account i'd be happy to give you the VIN to check and see is any difference. They couldn't do a Maryland state inspection in Pa. but it carries a PA State inspection, that they preformed. No, I didn't craw under the car until I took to a mechanic for inspection 4 days later. I have paperwork as to condition of said car stating its condition according to them.
I did not drink there coffee but did have a ice cream.

I guess the real moral of the story is that things happen and you cant foresee everything always despite our best efforts and advice.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it looked like it came from the inside, could it be a bullet hole?
Old 08-29-2016, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by AirForce-A8L
Ha. I'm pretty sure the OP would have noticed that in the carpet. Also, that would have had to be a shotgun blast to cause all that damage underneath.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AirForce-A8L
Great a drug deal gone bad. It's Miami vice all over again. Tubs!! Crokett!!
Old 08-29-2016, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Ha. I'm pretty sure the OP would have noticed that in the carpet. Also, that would have had to be a shotgun blast to cause all that damage underneath.
A shotgun blast would have left a hole the size of a grapefruit....

Have any of you considered that the offending hole could have occured *after* the inspection. Say while someone was out for a test drive?

I have an identical hole in the passenger side floor of my 2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium. There was part of a broken leaf spring in the road. Front tire kicked it up, cracked the belly pan, hole in floor.

I put some asphalt backed aluminum flashing tape over the hole from underneath and moved on with my life.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Buyer beware is the key. I bought a CPO 2013 A6 from the dealer. They made a big deal of the clean Carfax and even included some other brand of accident check. Months later I learned that the car had indeed been in an accident. Dealer claimed no knowledge of the car having been repaired. Bottom line? A clean Carfax only indicates that an accident wasn't reported to insurance. My body shop says shops are not obligated to report repairs not covered by insurance.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Dskvid
So I bought my 2013 A6 out of state last Thursday, it was marketed as clean and Autocheck showed no accidents reported, the car is beautiful and I'm very happy with my desision to get it. Today I took it to get a Maryland state inspection. It failed because the front rotors were a little cupped and there is small knick in one of the break lines, it's not deep enough to leak any fluid. Right next to the brake line kick was a half dollar size hole in the floor under the drivers seat. It looks like it's been there a while because of some rusting around the hole.
I called and emailed them pictures of what was found and I'm taking it up there tomorrow so they can access and repair. My question is how would you proceed and what would you expect if anything more than covered repairs? Im not mad or anything and the repairs is probably all I need to happen but does this affect the value of the car? What would you do? What would you think would be a realistic accommodation?

This is like 20/20. What you do?

Thanks for reading.
I had a similar problem. Bought a 13 A4 quattro after changing my mind about going to see about purchasing the A6 3.0T quat they had in stock. Brought the A4 home and THEN decided to take a peak at the undercarriage after a week. The front undercarriage was worn away through to the metal, damage wast there long enough to begin rusting. Looks like someone had a really steep driveway and bottomed out everyday...So I panicked.

Called up the dealership and made the complaint of buying a car with no reported claims that had very obvious damage. Obvious enough that they could have reasonably known and made potential buyers aware before purchase, and didn't.

Didn't go for a refund but did trade it for the A6 along with the difference. I did it before they sent in the title to be transferred to myself.

So I learned my lesson. Good luck
Old 09-17-2016, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just a update. I have gotten the car back after a week, it has been repaired professionally and well. They replaced to underside protector too. The car looks great as always. I think I'm satisfied.

Old 09-17-2016, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Awesome. Glad it worked out for you. Now you can start enjoying the car!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So what would you do if you found a hole In a used car you just Bought?