Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Some pics of Delivery day for my new '16 A6 in Scottsdale on Friday 6-12!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 01:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations! You have a beautiful and elegant Audi. Enjoy years of safe and pleasurable driving.

My experience with Arizona Audi dealerships has been excellent. Both Audi North Scottsdale and Audi Peoria made buying easy and pain free tasks. I also like the overall service rendered by the departments with which I have interacted.

All have been professional, courteous and extremely helpful.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad you enjoyed them gothe6889 and carbuff. Im definitely enjoying settling in with my new ride and discovering all those wonderful little details of workmanship and extra care taken Ive come to enjoy in my Audis over the years. Its always fun finding those small details in each new car over the early months that add up to making these such nice cars that they truly are.

Last edited by Hulamau; 06-18-2015 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

One small interesting observation I have made in the first days with my new A6, with the prestige, S-line sports and drivers assistance packages is that here in the hot summer of Arizona, when I turn everything off in the car and sit there ... only at night have I done this as Im not a glutton for punishment when its over 100+ degrees every day ... I notice a small faint whirring sound that lasts about 5 to 7 seconds and that repeats over 20 to 30 seconds long after all electric systems are shut off.

I was stumped at first to what it was as it sounded like a much fainter and more subtle sound of the automatic truck lid opener operating its mechanical accutuator to open or close the trunk.

In any event, my I asked my service manager at Audi North Scottsdale, Jason Brown, about the source of this transient faint motor sounds, he said it was from the warm weather package that is part of Prestige pack and is caused by a solar activated sun glass top that has a sensor set up in the glass in these models with the warm weather option, that senses when the interior or solar gain is above a certain level and then activates the small ventilation fans in an effort to slightly lower the heat build up when sitting idle in the hot sun and thus making it faster and easier to cool the interior down once a driver returns to the car and turns it on again.

Clever, and it's not at all intrusive at such low levels, but I couldn't figure it out other than it was some sort of timed electro-mechanical motor action.

Also, below are a few more pics taken of the suspension components of my S-line Sports suspension with the 20" wheels that lower the overall height by 30mm over the standard A6 height. I figured some of you might like these close ups while I was under the car that was up on the hydraulic life at Protective Film Solutions in Scottsdale while the XPEL Ultimate full frontal wrap was being done and I could grab some clean photos of a brand new car with no road dirt yet.

I was impressed by the double wishbone with 5 link front and 5 link trapezoidal rear suspension with torsion bars as well. No wonder the car rides so clean and smooth in spite of the taut and controlled handling tag makes it so fun to drive without being harsh at all in my experience cruising on winding canyon roads around Sedona the last couple days.

I can tell you all too, that all my concerns I had upfront about going with the Sports suspension .. which was necessary to get what I feel is the much improved look of the S-line front, rear end and side rocker sill body work anyway ... have all vanished and I am very happy with the decision..

Admittedly, I haven't been on really terrible roads yet, but when I do encounter such pothole-laden roads on relatively rare occasions around here, I will gladly reduce speed and navigate through it all with pleasure when the large majority of the time I get the big advantage in handling and road hugging prowess this A6 with the 20" hi pro tires, wheels and tuned-up suspension provide.

What really surprised me, in a pleasant way, is how overall smooth the ride is even with the above mentioned sporty tuned gear! It is significantly more refined and smoother over bumps than our 2015 S-line trim Prestige A4 with 18" wheels and 245/40/R18 Pirelli P7s.

You will surely feel more strongly those widely spaced or uneven freeway expansion joints when going at fast speeds, but its a small price to pay in my view for the overall gains in driving enjoyment the majority of the time ... at least in road friendly Arizona.

Another tip on air pressure for the low profile P-Zero 255/35/R 20 97Y tires ... The Audi door label says to fill the air to 44psi front and 46psi rear . .but again my Service manager said I will want to make that 38psi on all four wheels measured cold in the morning as they will expand, especially in this heat of an AZ and southern Cal summer, to around 42 to 44psi max anyway by mid morning or earlier which is the max you want to run them.

SO he said not to load the front and rear tires up to 44 and 46 respectively when cold and check them every few days and keep em at 38 in the morning before driving them while as cold as they will be during the summer and that will give the best performance, tread life and safety as well as reduce damage risk as much as is feasible, although he noted the appropriate cautions when driving these on bad roads to slow down and take it easy until you are clear of the muck.

Top ends of the double wishbone on S-line Sports suspension above front 20" tire/wheel

Another angle on the front A6 sports suspension.

Various coupling and bushings from the 5 link front suspension below the axle level toward lower part of front wheel

Rear suspension parts

Another rear suspension shot from underneath carriage showing the Quattro differential below and to the left of catalytic converter .. you can make out one of the torsion bars behind the Quattro diff as well.

Last view of rear suspension from a new angle

Last edited by Hulamau; 06-18-2015 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Outstanding photos, love to see parts of the A6 we don't normally get to see. Audi could give us more details on engineering!
Old 07-04-2015, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Hulamau
Another tip on air pressure for the low profile P-Zero 255/35/R 20 97Y tires ... The Audi door label says to fill the air to 44psi front and 46psi rear . .but again my Service manager said I will want to make that 38psi on all four wheels measured cold in the morning as they will expand, especially in this heat of an AZ and southern Cal summer, to around 42 to 44psi max anyway by mid morning or earlier which is the max you want to run them.

SO he said not to load the front and rear tires up to 44 and 46 respectively when cold and check them every few days and keep em at 38 in the morning before driving them while as cold as they will be during the summer and that will give the best performance, tread life and safety as well as reduce damage risk as much as is feasible, although he noted the appropriate cautions when driving these on bad roads to slow down and take it easy until you are clear of the muck.
[/I]
Door label is tire pressure for MAX Load (4 PAX + luggage), higher pressure are required to support the extra weight.

I think the manual calls for 39F/37R PSI for the 20" combo under normal load (2 pax). So start there and play around with it. You will want higher tire pressure up front than the rears, as these cars have a front weight bias, plus higher up front pressure will reduce the tendency of understeer, which these cars tend to do naturally to begin with.

I run mine at 40F/38R and find its the best blend of comfort and handling. Tire pressures are, to an extent (above recommended and below max) very subjective to the driver.

By the way, nice shots of the suspension. Nice to see all that when its new and untouched by miles and miles of grit and grime!
Old 07-08-2015, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Josh Prieur for the added details on the 20" tire pressure issue, makes sense and will experiment as I had it at 38 all around as per Audi NS service manager recommendation.

Cheers!
Hulamau
Old 07-08-2015, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

And agree Josh and Ponderosa, that photos of the suspension while so pristine new with literally 9.3 miles on the car, or what I could capture of it, come in handy.

I think there are some minor differences with the 2016 refresh I heard the Audi rep discussing with the service manager when I was there but I may have not heard the whole thing correctly? Perhaps that is only in the S-line sports suspension versions which my car has.

Can anyone without the sports suspension verify if all the bits and points of connection are the same? Perhaps the S-line sports suspension is just lower (by 30mm including the 20" wheel option and 20mm with the 19" wheel setting) and tweaks to the torsion bars and spring stiffness but not to the actual components used?

Hula

Last edited by Hulamau; 07-08-2015 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Very cool info and pics on the new car. My A6 Prestige 20" is now 18 months old, and I am still loving it. I always ran my Yokohama Summer tires at 39/39 and was very happy with the grip and feel in Houston. New tires today...