Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Spark plug replacement DIY

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kevrhof
If your driver is a little longer, you can take the cover off where the air filter sits (perpendicular to the car). That'd give you more room, I believe its just two plastic screws holding it in

See here for reference

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/cimg/www.aud...-10-150833.jpg
Successfully changed plugs! I removed the air tube and the holder for the air filter and had just about enough room to get my 1/4" ratchet and T20 torx bit in there. Was a little tight but came out easy.

On the driver side, once you move the coolant bottle, it was pretty easy. Just need to maneuver the coolant bottle around a bit. The only "issue" i had was leaking coolant out of one of the disconnected hoses, I grabbed a helper and had them hold it upright so it wouldn't leak.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

not sure if this will help but just did my plugs last weekend. Car idles much smoother but getting the coil packs off was ridiculously difficult. I did find that using a 1" wide strap looped under the bottom of the connector on the pack allowed me the grip needed to pull them out. Just be careful when pulling as when they let go you don't want them flying out of the engine compartment.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by zeab
not sure if this will help but just did my plugs last weekend. Car idles much smoother but getting the coil packs off was ridiculously difficult. I did find that using a 1" wide strap looped under the bottom of the connector on the pack allowed me the grip needed to pull them out. Just be careful when pulling as when they let go you don't want them flying out of the engine compartment.
I purchased the audi/vw coil puller so wasn't too hard to get them out (but man do they require a good amount of force).
Old 03-29-2017, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Next day after replacing the plugs.. holy sh** the car idles so much better and the throttle response is way better. I would have replaced mine at 45K instead had I know the power loss I was getting.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Coolant Level Sensor Connector

Bill:
Thanks for the post. You've inspired me to give it a try. Hardest part to me seems to be figuring out how to disconnect the coolant level sensor connector without breaking it so the tank can move over a bit more. What's/where's the magic push or pull thingy that releases the connector?
Old 05-01-2017, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

There is some little lever on the connector you have to press IIRC...
Old 05-01-2017, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That engine is cleaner than my just washed beer mug !!!!!! Nice.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by zeab
I'm almost at 50K with my recently bought 2013 A6 3.0T (still on CPO warranty). Idling has been a bit interesting, with frequent pulsations (small dips in RPM's) that are driving me crazy. Audi service technicians said it is normal. I had them check the engine mounts and they claimed that everything was ok.

I am wondering if changing the plugs would help with this slight vibration/pulsation issue?
Old 04-29-2018, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Is no one concerned with the rubber seal/gasket that is basically destroyed when we remove the ignition coils?
Old 04-29-2018, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Changed mine few weeks ago and noticed the same. Dont even know there the damaged seal is coming from. Installed the new spark plugs and they work as intended.

Quick Reply: Spark plug replacement DIY