Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Sport suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Sport suspension

When I was wavering on whether or not to get the S-Line Sport Package on my 2106 A6 2.0 I was concerned mostly about ride/impact harshness. Now that I have gotten the car with that option I love it. In some ways it seems to be better riding than my 2013 A6 without sport suspension and with higher sidewall 18” wheels/tires.
Also, the car does sit a lot lower. I had a tennis ball suspended from my garage ceiling with the 2013 A6 so when I came in and the ball touched the windshield right behind the rear view mirror I was in the perfect spot. With my new car I had to lower the ball just about a full inch to achieve the same effect. Also, I took a lady friend out the other evening and without me saying anything about the sport suspension she said “this car sits lower, I can see across the roof.” I am 6’ 2” so I could see across the 2013’s roof, but being a 5’ 2” peanut I guess this was a revelation for her that she picked up on right away.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always was happy with the sports package. The none sports seemed to bounce around more while the sports package was planted to the road. witb a change in tires from the P-zeros to the DWS06, it feels like my car doesn't have 20" wheels. I'm sure if you decide to change tires, the DWS06 will give you the cusion of a 18" wheel while still feel like you are driving an aggressive beast.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, the sport just feels so much better. You do feel more, but not in a harsh way, in a connected way. Combined with Quattro on windy roads this car is a beast, easily making me give out (because a car really should not be able to pull this many G's with no tire squeal or scrape whatsoever) before it even thinks about it. This car is on rails.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

The sports suspension is a huge improvement in the car. I am glad that you like it.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I have seen the negative comments pertaining to the ride quality of the sport suspension with the 20" wheels on the A6 and have not experienced any of this. Actually my personal experience is very contrary to this. Now my wife's 2011 Infiniti G37XS with 18" wheels and sport suspension exhibits a harsh ride over rough pavement. Not that it is the same animal as the A6.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

IIRC, thw sport suspension sits the body about 7/8" lower. I would add the car looks much better with the smaller fender gap.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Very pleased with the sport suspension overall. For the driving I am able to do (be it limited by traffic or road topography) I cannot push this car beyond it's limit. The summer 20's with P-Zeros are pretty rigid. Now switching to my winter tires with a slightly higher sidewall on 19's I am shocked at how much smoother the ride is. Hearing all the good things about the DWS 06 setup I may ditch my P-Zeros for those when the time comes. Biggest question in my mind is whether the DWS 06 will show a degradation in driving performance... again knowing that I don't live in the English countryside or the hills of northern California where I could perhaps push the car even further.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

I had P-Zeros and now have DWS 06 on my 13 A6 with sport package.
DWS 06 compared to the P-Zero:
85-90% of the turn in performance
Much more comfortable ride; your teeth will not chip
Significantly quieter out of the box and even better after 1K miles in comparison
Much easier to balance w/o vibrations especially as the tread wears
Anticipate 2X tread life
Snow capability - not yet tried but the P-Zeros are hockey pucks on roller skates as one would expect from a summer tire; Tire Rack highly rated the old DWS on light snow and Conti claims the new DWS 06 will be even better
Old 11-18-2015, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

It's a shame that posters do not put their location in their post because numerous subjects are location dependent. In this thread, location is important because the quality of roads greatly depends on weather, traffic and monies appropriated to freeway maintenance.
The choice of tires and sport suspension may greatly differ from state to state and country to country.
Arizona highways, German autobahns and New England winters are all considerations on wheel size, tires and suspension.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
It's a shame that posters do not put their location in their post because numerous subjects are location dependent. In this thread, location is important because the quality of roads greatly depends on weather, traffic and monies appropriated to freeway maintenance.
The choice of tires and sport suspension may greatly differ from state to state and country to country.
Arizona highways, German autobahns and New England winters are all considerations on wheel size, tires and suspension.

DB good point and guilty as charged -- I will remedy this over weekend -- takes me quite a while to figure these things out as I am a dinosaur.

I'm here in Michigan (greater Detroit area) and roads are horrible as I've posted a number of times. My /15 3.0T is equipped with 19" sport package and came with Conti Pro-Contacts -- old tire design and I know many on this forum are not fond of these tires. I had these on my /06 TL many years ago and my opinion is that they are acceptable but not the greatest. I will go Conti DWS06 when time comes for replacement. While I don't find life on the 19s horrible it is somewhat less comfortable than the non-sport car which I did drive back to back with mine. Suffice it to say I choose my commute route carefully and try to stay off the really bad roads around here. When I have no choice but to take a road that I know to be in bad shape I decrease my speed accordingly and do my best to drive around the holes, ruts, cracked concrete, etc. I'm going to get pulled over one of these days on suspicion of drunk driving. However I am glad I opted for the sport package since it is a joy on decent roads.

Best,
Jeff

Quick Reply: Sport suspension