Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Starting the heater, am I doing it wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I should note that if it's really cold and you turn the heat up above room temp, that it will accelerate the process of going to a set temperature. Of course, it doesn't hear the car faster, but higher fan speed when heat is producing will force more heat into the car than at a more civilized fan speed. Our cars try not to irritate you by being too loud and windy if possible.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mchltschr
When you guys leave your climate control on auto do you also leave the AC on in the winter? I know you can run on Auto while clicking off AC.

Yep
Old 02-11-2016, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'll elaborate on Ricky's post: AC helps you avoid fogging up your windows in winter by removing moisture from the air inside the car (from your breath and any frost inside the car)
Old 02-11-2016, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HackDevil
When I first start the car in the morning, I turn on my heater and set it to 80 degrees F and hit the auto button. For atleast 5-10 minutes, nothing really happens. Atleast not that I'm noticing. Is the heater supposed to be blasting until it reaches the correct temperature? Or does it wait for the heater to warm up before it starts blasting?
Not to pile on what others have said, but this would be appropriate if you were driving a 1970s-era car with manual HVAC controls. However, in an A6 or just about any other car these days with electronic HVAC, it's not needed and might even be counter-productive. Just tell the car what you want, and let the car figure out how to make it happen.

As has been pointed out, this will avoid situations where you needlessly blast yourself with cold air while waiting for the engine to warm up, and it will also keep you from subjecting yourself to "taxicab syndrome" (cab driver turns heat and fan to max to compensate for doors being opened/closed frequently, with the result that passengers start to bake in any ride lasting more than 10 minutes).
Old 02-11-2016, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

spoon, I agree except that Audi has a bias not to turn the fan to absolute max unless it really needs to. Science tells us that once the heat source is warmer than ambient in the cold cabin, blowing more air over that heat point into the car will raise the temperature in the cabin unless that cools the heat source until it is colder than in the cabin. Therefore, you can heat the car's cabin faster than auto unless the auto makes the fan go to max.

Furthermore, someone who is very cold and wants to warm up might find that once the heat is above a certain point they would like to have it blast them in the face with the heat. This will heat them up more quickly, but many wouldn't find that to be a pleasant experience.

So, Auto is great and I usually leave it at the same temperature and auto air flow. That doesn't mean sometimes I have different preferences and want to go manual for good reason.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by schalliol
spoon, I agree except that Audi has a bias not to turn the fan to absolute max unless it really needs to.
Isn't there an MMI setting to adjust fan speed relative to other input heat/cool inputs?
Old 02-11-2016, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
My house has a fixed fan speed so the perceived temperature is by ambience and not by using the "evaporation causing cooling" effect by having the fan blow at your sweat to cool you as in your car.
I have enabled Economy mode in my car with VCDS but have never noticed any difference to the AC operation.
On cooler days I usually select window and floor direction and in the hotter days I select front vents and floor. My car never asks me for my opinion when in Auto.
Here in So Cal we frequently have 30 degree swings per day in temperature and your body has different requirements depending on numerous things. I have been cold when it's 85 outside and I have been warm when it's 45 outside. Again, my car never asks me what I want so I'm constantly changing it.
If your car usage is 9 to 5 and your daily temperature swings are 5 degrees then I understand your point but if you use your car at 1.30 am and then again at 1.30 pm then the constant setting of 72 may not be what you want.
Yes, the human body is a fickle organism. I'm not saying never make any adjustments. As I said, close the vents if you don't want to have air blown at you, or open them if you are boiling and want to cool down quickly. Also lower or raise the temperature depending on how you feel. I often have to raise the temperature on the passenger side with my wife sitting there and so on. However, turning off Auto regularly doesn't make much sense, when this system is specifically designed to automatically maintain the temperature you have set. Doesn't mean it has to be the same temperature all year round.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

The issue with mine seems to be that 72 at 1.30AM seems to be different inside the car than 72 at 1.30 pm. The inside aim point should be 72 irrelevant of outside temperature and I'm not sure that it is.

It would also be nice to see the fan level and air direction without having to press buttons all of the time. All the cars that I know of have the HVAC displayed either at 1 menu level or, if a dedicated screen, all of the time. The Audi requires button pushing where other cars only require a glance at the information.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm 90% sure the car uses sunlight and/or external temp to calculate how it needs heat/cool. If this is the case, then, that could explain the difference.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by schalliol
I'm 90% sure the car uses sunlight and/or external temp to calculate how it needs heat/cool. If this is the case, then, that could explain the difference.
Yes, most cars today with automatic temp control have a sun sensor ( often on top of the instrument panel) that will trigger the A/C to come on stronger to maintain the chosen temp.

Quick Reply: Starting the heater, am I doing it wrong?