Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Stop start feature

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '14 TDI with about 5000 miles on it. I've noticed that the pedal needs to be fully depressed to engage the start/stop feature. This is so the car knows it will not start to move slowly forward and need to start the engine again. Hope that helps.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a CPO 2014 A6 a few days ago, and I haven't been able to get this function to work AT ALL. I have the off switch off (light not lit), so I'm assuming the system is on.
However, on the dash, I have a white "A" (the symbol for auto stop start) with a line through it. What the heck does this mean?

I too, noticed my battery wasn't full re-charged. If Auto Start-stop relies on a fully charged battery, how do I fix the poor recharging problem? I'd think on a car with less than 7000 miles, the battery and alternator should be up to snuff.

I remember one of my previous A-6s (a 2005) had a similar problem. There was some kind of battery regulator thing that was faulty and the battery never fully charged.

Any ideas?

I need to take it in for an inspection in a few days, so I'll mention it to my service rep, but any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

The white line through the A means the engine won't stop. Not a full battery, regen on a TDI, or some other reason the computer feels it doesn't want to could cause it. The chances it is a battery charging issue are next to none at your miles, but could happen. Make sure to mention it at the checkup.

Last edited by DasA6; 08-01-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DasA6
The white line through the A means the engine won't stop.
TFM lists many reasons - page 80 in mine. Could be OP's somewhere that A/C is needed too much?
Old 08-01-2014, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
TFM lists many reasons - page 80 in mine. Could be OP's somewhere that A/C is needed too much?
Right. The computer senses a load, be it energy or any other matter, that requires the engine to be running. Granted something can always be wrong, such as 'charging' a dead battery that actually isnt getting charged. I've noticed with both sides on blue and fan on high it won't turn off. It'll know when to shut off and when to keep purring. You probably just need to get used to the driving environments that demand different loads from the engine bay. The winter it would shut off all the time, but the summer it seems it just does it every now and then. But again, never hurts to mention it to the service rep.

BTW Richard, enjoy your new S6!
Old 08-01-2014, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Also, the brake must be fully depressed for the stop/start to operate. A coast to a stop with light brake pedal pressure won't allow it to engage.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DasA6
BTW Richard, enjoy your new S6!
Thanks! I am!!!! The US-model S6 doesn't have Start-Stop so I can't add any firsthand info.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:16 PM
RTG
Audiworld Junior Member

I personally hate stop/start. After so many years of driving I find it unnerving when a car randomly decides to turn itself off.

Luckily stop/start does not work when the outside temp exceeds 90 degrees F. Here in Phoenix that means it will start working in late October :-) so I have time to figure the best way to permanently disable it. I guess I found one good thing about our hot desert summers
Old 08-02-2014, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RTG
I personally hate stop/start. After so many years of driving I find it unnerving when a car randomly decides to turn itself off.

Luckily stop/start does not work when the outside temp exceeds 90 degrees F. Here in Phoenix that means it will start working in late October :-) so I have time to figure the best way to permanently disable it. I guess I found one good thing about our hot desert summers
There is a button on the dash that you can push to tuen it off permanently. I dont care for it either.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Silent Drone
There is a button on the dash that you can push to tuen it off permanently. I dont care for it either.
I thought I saw some VCDS mods to disable it completely, but provided the disable button retains its state across power on/off cycles I'd say that's the best choice.

Quick Reply: Stop start feature