Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Stop start feature

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 09:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
I thought I saw some VCDS mods to disable it completely, but provided the disable button retains its state across power on/off cycles I'd say that's the best choice.
Press the button and the indictor light goes on, showing that auto start/stop is disengaged. It stays this way indefinitely even after the car is shut down.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RTG
I personally hate stop/start. After so many years of driving I find it unnerving when a car randomly decides to turn itself off.

Luckily stop/start does not work when the outside temp exceeds 90 degrees F. Here in Phoenix that means it will start working in late October :-) so I have time to figure the best way to permanently disable it. I guess I found one good thing about our hot desert summers
This isn't quite right. I too have a '14 A6 TDI, about 1600 miles on mine, and the start/stop will work in temps even over 100. The condition wrt temp is interior. If the AC is off then this isn't a consideration. Also, if the car has also reached the requested interior temp the auto stop algorithm will consider this (amongst all it's other params).

Here's how I've tested this scenario:

* 100+ degree day, we've had a lot of them recently in the Sacramento area
* Set AC to 74, leave garage (interior temp of car is already <74)
* Drive car around to where engine temp is "warmed up"
* Auto stop will function (assuming TDI regen isn't engaged)
* While auto stopped you can feel the interior temp rising, if it rises high enough the engine will restart even though you keep pedal depressed
* BUT - do this, raise the AC temp from 74 to 78 or 80 or just turn it off and the car will stay in auto stop
* Similarly, if you lower the temp say to 68 the car will start

As for the regen, I'v had this happen twice and the only way I knew it was happening is because once I stopped (got to work) I felt an enormous amount of heat coming up from the drivers side, and odd smell and the fans were running to cool the engine even though it was off (got to work). I wish there was some indication on the dash that this cycle was running or needed to run.

Anyway, the auto start/stop for me seems to function as described. If I watch the short trip avg fuel economy reading it does seem to help but no idea how much over the long term (say for a tank of gas and a bunch of city driving).

I have learned to game the system - letting my foot up slightly to restart the engine when I think the light is going to change. The only time it's truly annoying is when I get home with a car full of kids and let them out before I pull into the garage. It auto stops and then I have to restart the car cause the doors opened. That is annoying.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve95628
The only time it's truly annoying is when I get home with a car full of kids and let them out before I pull into the garage. It auto stops and then I have to restart the car cause the doors opened. That is annoying.
I believe I've seen a VCDS tweak to disable this for the driver's door - does opening a passenger door cause the shutdown too?
Old 08-03-2014, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

The auto engine off w/driver door opening is a separate function from Stop/Start. I had mine disabled by the dealer and I do believe there's a VCDS mod that can be done. I believe Audi disabled this feature in later MY2013+ C7s due to complaints of the annoyance.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snagitseven
The auto engine off w/driver door opening is a separate function from Stop/Start. I had mine disabled by the dealer and I do believe there's a VCDS mod that can be done. I believe Audi disabled this feature in later MY2013+ C7s due to complaints of the annoyance.
I had my dealer fix that, but they had to get special dispensation from Audi to do it, I guess the bulletin had expired for my car.