Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Strange sudden loud thump sound

Old 10-14-2013, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I have the non-Bose base radio in a Premium Plus trim level
Well I would be shocked if it is the subwoofer. Having had by subwoofer replaced, the thing they put in there and call a sub is a joke. No way can it case any shaking.

I would think it is more along the lines of some electrical short. Really nothing to do with Sirius is my guess
Old 10-14-2013, 10:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I cant see how an electrical short in and of itself can cause a loud noise or shake. If it is a short, it would need an amplifier and speaker to produce a loud thump that can be felt, no? The OEM non-Bose sub is capable enough IMO to generate some vibes. I have from time to time accidentally upped the volume and it does generate some shake and ear pop, if a bit distorted.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:29 AM
Banned

So this issue is only on the 2.0 engine? Could it be some sort of backfire?
Old 10-15-2013, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Good news. It is a known issue as per my service advisor. Please schedule an appointment with your dealer to get it fixed.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by fEArmE
Good news. It is a known issue as per my service advisor. Please schedule an appointment with your dealer to get it fixed.
I would appreciate it if you could let me know what the cause and solution are, so I can determine if this is something I must have fixed now or can live with until the next scheduled service. Now that I know others have had it I am a bit more relaxed and view the condition a an annoyance, so I could live with it a bit longer if it is not a failure that is critical to the car's operation. Thanks and good luck.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Unless it scares the $&@$ outta me another time. I won't be visiting my dealer until February 2014.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by fEArmE
Unless it scares the $&@$ outta me another time. I won't be visiting my dealer until February 2014.
Sorry - I mis-undertood your plans - not a problem. I have several months to wait for the next service as well.
Maybe I'll stop listening to "80's on 8" as a precaution. Just thought of this: how will I know if it is just this issue again or some kids throwing snowballs at cars when winter gets here? lol
Thanks
Old 10-15-2013, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Your short term solution may be 20's on 2 lol... for the first time it happened, I did look around the car for any possible dent. I was like "you must have a lot of courage to throw a rock at me, show yourself you little $&_$@$" lol
Old 10-17-2013, 12:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I have the non-Bose base radio in a Premium Plus trim level
See the other post noted above. This is a known issue with Audi with non Bose (base) radios. I have not talked with my service manager in a while so I don't currently know if a solution has been found yet. It has happened many times to me and most times I know its coming because just before it happens the radios sound goes out. You can't stop it I have tried to lower the volume, I even shut off the radio but you still get the bang. Its coming from your sub-woofer and if your not ready for it it will scare the s--t out of you. I was waiting for my 15k service to ask if a fix has been found yet.

Edit, I did not read all the last post before I posted, glade to hear that a fix is available thanks. <!-- / message -->
<!-- sig --> __________________

Last edited by denvig; 10-17-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by denvig
See the other post noted above. This is a known issue with Audi with non Bose (base) radios. I have not talked with my service manager in a while so I don't currently know if a solution has been found yet. It has happened many times to me and most times I know its coming because just before it happens the radios sound goes out. You can't stop it I have tried to lower the volume, I even shut off the radio but you still get the bang. Its coming from your sub-woofer and if your not ready for it it will scare the s--t out of you. I was waiting for my 15k service to ask if a fix has been found yet.

Edit, I did not read all the last post before I posted, glade to hear that a fix is available thanks. <!-- / message -->
<!-- sig --> __________________
I thought it would be the subwoofer - what else could deliver such a "BAM!" - it certainly does scare the crap out of you. I didn't have the Sirius sound go out on the last two incidents, though. Sirius kept on playing during and after the "BAM".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Strange sudden loud thump sound