Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Strange sudden loud thump sound

Old 10-17-2013, 01:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I thought it would be the subwoofer - what else could deliver such a "BAM!" - it certainly does scare the crap out of you. I didn't have the Sirius sound go out on the last two incidents, though. Sirius kept on playing during and after the "BAM".
I just use the regular FM and when its going to happen the sound goes out for a split second up to two or three seconds then BOOM like someone tossed a brick through the back window. Then the sound comes right back on like nothing happened. The first couple of times I stopped and was sure something hit me and looked all over the rear end to see what happened. When I know its about to happen I'm ready for it but when it happens fast my heart jumps out of my throat. Like I said one time I had time to shut off the radio but I still got the bang. My biggest worry is that it has damaged the sub.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

It happened again when i was playing music from SDCARD yesterday. But it was not as loud as before. I'm thinking to bring it to the dealer to get it fixed.. will report back.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by fEArmE
It happened again when i was playing music from SDCARD yesterday. But it was not as loud as before. I'm thinking to bring it to the dealer to get it fixed.. will report back.
I will be interested o see what they say.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The fix for this is the MMI update to 715-2
Old 07-07-2014, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Same problem on my 2013 A4

I have the exact same problem on my 2013 A4. The loud boom scares the carp out of me. I took it to the dealership twice, they had no clue. The boom happened again last week, the loudest ever, and shook the car, stereo stopped working for a few seconds!
I took my car to the dealership today, met with an engineer, and he said it is the stereo(!). The speakers make a loud pop, so loud that it feels like someone dropped a heavy ball on the roof. He said there is a software update for this problem, and he will apply it to my car. I'll get the SW update information from him when I collect my car this evening, and post it here.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

bobby - look one post above yours, that is the fix
Old 07-14-2014, 08:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Bobby598
I have the exact same problem on my 2013 A4. The loud boom scares the carp out of me. I took it to the dealership twice, they had no clue. The boom happened again last week, the loudest ever, and shook the car, stereo stopped working for a few seconds!
I took my car to the dealership today, met with an engineer, and he said it is the stereo(!). The speakers make a loud pop, so loud that it feels like someone dropped a heavy ball on the roof. He said there is a software update for this problem, and he will apply it to my car. I'll get the SW update information from him when I collect my car this evening, and post it here.
I had my car in for the 15K service a few months ago and they said that there was no fix yet. They updated the MMI to the latest software version at that time but it did not fix the problem, it still happens. And this was after there was supposed to be a fix. I would be very interested to know what is the software version that fixes this problem as it is making me crazy. As long as i have known the issue you would think i would be used to it but it still makes me jump out of my skin when it happens.

Last edited by denvig; 07-14-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by denvig
I had my car in for the 15K service a few months ago and they said that there was no fix yet. They updated the MMI to the latest software version at that time but it did not fix the problem, it still happens. And this was after there was supposed to be a fix. I would be very interested to know what is the software version that fixes this problem as it is making me crazy. As long as i have known the issue you would think i would be used to it but it still makes me jump out of my skin when it happens.
Just checked to see which version of MMI I have its.
HN+R_US_AU_K0609_2
NAV. 8R0060884AM NAR 5.6.5

Does anyone know if this is the latest?
Old 07-14-2014, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by denvig
This is a known issue with Audi with non Bose (base) radios.

Its coming from your sub-woofer and if your not ready for it it will scare the s--t out of you. I was waiting for my 15k service to ask if a fix has been found yet.
I find this very strange - normally the Audi subwoofer is so anemic you think they forgot to install it - and then suddenly BAM! the sub is so loud it actually shakes the car and makes you c---p your pants.

Its probably possessed by some evil spirits...
Old 07-14-2014, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I am the OP. Mine was fixed last December 2013 and the following is what the service invoice says:

“C/S (customer states) loud popping noise from radio intermittently please check and report
TSB 2030465/6
Cause: TSB 2030465/6 perform software update as needed
91962599 MMI ZUG UPDATE WITHOUT TELEPHONE
TRANSCEIVER R36
N/C”

The problem never happened again since this fix was done. If it had I think I would have had a heart attack – what a “BAM”!!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Strange sudden loud thump sound