Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Strategy For Finding % off used price

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 07:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Strategy For Finding % off used price

I'm looking at a 2014 A6 3.0 quatro with 36.7k miles for $39.6

How do you all figure out what price to shoot for? I was thinking of putting it into Kelley blue book to see the dealer trade in value, and go from there?

Keley blue book says the trade in to dealer value is 33.5

Based on that the dealer has $6.1 if sold at the price they are asking, roughly. How much do you think the dealer will want of this to make them happy?

tks

Last edited by kage65; 08-07-2016 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it is a CPO, they will likely not budge too much on the price. CPO certification costs money (actual money) for the dealer; they have to inspect the car, change brakes/tires as needed, recondition as needed and generally bring it up to spec per manufacturer specifications.

All of this is labor and likely to shrink their profit by half. So now they are looking at 3K profit... you may be able to make them budge a grand tops but even that may be hard.

A non CPO car may be a lot easier to haggle since they do not have to put as much effort into reconditioning it.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've read sometimes the work to make it CPO is minimal. They employ their service people so no cost there. They pay wholesale price for parts, so yes a cost but would think not substantial.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by kage65
I've read sometimes the work to make it CPO is minimal. They employ their service people so no cost there. They pay wholesale price for parts, so yes a cost but would think not substantial.
The labor cost depends on how the dealer sets up their business model. Most dealerships charge the Used/CPO department the shop labor rate to do any of the work on a used car. Service is a profit center and they do not do any work for free.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by kage65
I agree with the initial portion of CPO but the subsequent warranty that comes with it could be expensive for the dealer so at least half of the cost is warranty.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

For my CPO they did not want to budge on price at all. I had lots of back and forth BS with the sales person and the manager. I wanted $3000 off the asking price. They finally reluctantly agreed on $1000 off. Not as much as I wanted but better than nothing...
Old 08-08-2016, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DanfZX14
For my CPO they did not want to budge on price at all. I had lots of back and forth BS with the sales person and the manager. I wanted $3000 off the asking price. They finally reluctantly agreed on $1000 off. Not as much as I wanted but better than nothing...
That was basically my experience as well the two times I bought CPO vehicles. However, while they were not willing to budge on the price of the car, they were more than willing to work with me on my trade in.

Case in point - when I bought my CPO A4 in August of last year - I wiggled them from about $33K to about $32K. However, they initially offered me 14K for my GTI and eventually agreed on $16.8K. They also agreed to take off my aftermarket turbo-back exhaust and intake (provided I gave them the originals) at no charge. I then resold those for $1200 and basically got $18k for my GTI (and I listed it for $18.5 on Craigslist willing to take $17.5).

So $33K original asking price + $1K off + $2.8K extra on the trade in + $1.2K on sold parts = $4K cashback which brings the total price of the car to $28k.

Obviously you will not get that if you are not trading in BUT - my point is to illustrate how you can work around it.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Kage,

I am seeing price from $36.3k to $40k for that mileage range. Depending on what the car you are looking at has as options. I would think that you can get about to about $35.5. At the end of last month, I saw a 2016 CPO for about $52k and the dealer said that he could sell it for $50. Though the dealer might not have said that if I asked in the middle of the month.

It all depends on the area you live and how long the car has been on the lot.

Good luck. Please let us know what you finally end up paying.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks everyone.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Anecdotally - MY wife and I are looking for a 2014 or 2015 1/2 ton Dodge Ram Diesel Pickup. Fully loaded. There are not many around, so the trucks are all found over the internet and far out of town. Asking prices are all in the $39k to $42k range.

One dealer in Tennessee has two nearly identical trucks on the lot. The one we liked they will not budge on the asking price. Won't move at all. A day goes by and I call back to give them my credit card number for the truck and they tell me it has since sold, and then offer me $5k off the other truck on their lot. We passed on that one for other reasons. These are trucks that are only sitting a week or two max, so it's not like it was a lemming they had to dump cheap.

Some of the used A6 I've been looking at have been online for weeks and months. I can't believe dealers wouldn't want to deal on them.

Quick Reply: Strategy For Finding % off used price