Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Strut swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 03:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Strut swap

Has anyone changed their stock struts and shocks to Audi sport suspension or after-market sport suspension or vice versa? I have the Audi Sport suspension setup and I am thinking of changing to the non-sport set.

Also if anyone has the Non-Sport set up for sale then please let me know via thread or PM.

Thank you.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

May I ask what the difference is? Is it just much stiffer setup?
Why are you considering the change? Or is it done already?
Old 11-18-2015, 03:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The difference is the spring rates, ride height and shock dampening. The sport suspension has great handling and an average ride but I would sacrifice some handling for a more comfortable ride. I drive around Southern California and the roads started off average when new and deteriorated because of use, weather and earthquakes. Our state agency, Caltrans, is commissioned to repair and build roads and their ability has slowly diminished over the last few decades and their performance can be summed up as tantamount to building launch ramps and speed bumps. Every bridge crossing on a freeway is slightly worse than driving on a dirt road, the bridge is not level or smooth and is, on average, about 2 inches different in level to the rest of the freeway.
As this situation is extremely unlikely to improve then my only solution is to compensate by getting a more compliant suspension. The sport suspension is great for autobahns but here in SoCal it is worthless. The ideal situation would be to get the EU system of selectable suspension but the US only offers that in the S6.
The A6 is a great sport sedan but "LA is just a great big freeway" and having "sport" suspension just reduces the luxury aspect of the A6.
I have not made the change but I did move to 18's from the 20's and that helped but the jolt of freeway joints can only be reduced by adding compliance to the struts.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Gotcha. I figured as much just wasn't sure of specifics. I was driving next to a RS7 other night and I did notice the suspension on his was quite stiffer as his headlight beams jarred quite a bit down hwy 71 through Chino. For that reason I was thinking of keeping stock struts for soft dampening but use aftermarket springs from Eibach to slightly improve roll handling. But I am pretty sure the resulting 1.3" front end drop would lead me to destroy my bumper against the LA city curbs and parking stops. So I changed my mind on installing the springs and put them up for sale. I like the 20's too much to reduce rim size, but I don't have sport suspension so ride is a decent on the 20's in my opinion.

I too am so over the jarring ride quality of cars as I've grown older.
I was considering Bilstein shocks for their ability to adjust suspension tuning but for such an expensive price, not sure i'd really be changing ride quality too much. I already had Koni adjustable dampening shocks on a previous car and I NEVER adjusted to harder ride. Plus the softest setting was still harder than stock which was kind of a bummer.
My vote is definitely stock non-sport shocks for LA roads.

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 11-19-2015 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I also have an Acura MDX with the meteorological adjustable shocks and I think that they are the best suspension component available for any car. Unfortunately, they typically last about 70K miles and cost over $800 each to replace so a lot of people swap to conventional shocks which is a grave consequence.

Curiously, they have 2 settings: Comfort and Sport. If Comfort is comfortable then may one assume that Sport is uncomfortable? I agree that Sport does change body roll and tightens the response for cornering but do you need to be "uncomfortable" to do it?
The real world is that the shocks are so good that Sport mode is quite good and Comfort is excellent but the A6 Sport suspension has average components which only serves to increase the jarring ride.
It seems that the S6 drivers like their suspension and I would be curious to know which mode is selected the majority of the time.