Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Subwoofer upgrade complete - and it rocks!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by r1racer
How much did that setup run you??? You should post a video for us. That's just sickness.
You really don't want to know. Trust me.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
You really don't want to know. Trust me.
Let's just say less than a B&O.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DB22
Let's just say less than a B&O.
Let's just say more than the B&O and leave it at that. 😉

Anyway, system is undergoing transformation as we speak. New build log coming in the next couple of weeks or so.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's just say more than the B&O and leave it at that. 😉

Anyway, system is undergoing transformation as we speak. New build log coming in the next couple of weeks or so.
This is Russ's work, correct ? I think I know some of the changes to come and if correct, I like them !
Old 12-11-2014, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 6spdcoupe
This is Russ's work, correct ? I think I know some of the changes to come and if correct, I like them !
Yes, in the capable hands of Russ.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yes, in the capable hands of Russ.
Absolutely ! I believe we talked about your car a time or two !
Old 12-15-2014, 02:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by proppilot
Just did the same upgrade as the original posting by sgroer. I purchased a PowerBass XL-104MF IB marine/auto 10" sub for $ 99 and a JBL GTO-501EZ amp for $ 139 both on eBay with free shipping. Bought the JBL amp as it has auto on/off.

Mounted the sub on top of the radio tray and wired in with an amp kit. WOW !! What a fantastic upgrade from the feeble simulated sub that comes with the car to real tight and controllable bass for under $ 250 dollars.

If you like bass....it is that easy.....
I did this exact upgrade and as others have mentioned, it transforms the car audio from poor to acceptable. And maybe it's that I'm getting older,but I find the bass to be balanced at a very low gain/setting. Well worth the $250 in parts. Note that you will also need to buy a wiring kit or extra wires/fuse to hook up the amp power and subwoofer properly.

Question for you all who have done it, how do you anchor the amplifier to the existing mount? It doesn't fit properly on the top shelf so it's just sitting on top right now. It doesn't move much, but I want it securely fastened. I am thinking zip ties with some drilled holes but it doesn't seem to be an elegant solution...
Old 12-15-2014, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Double sided tape?

I've ordered an amp and speaker for my wife to give me for Christmas. I have the Bose setup and when I looked behind the door it does not appear that I have enough room to place the amp there. Has anyone with the Bose system done this?

This is what I'm dealing with too, no room on top. (4th picture, or so, shows the Bose amp)
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...2822634/page6/

Last edited by ColoradoMark; 12-23-2014 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Update
Old 12-23-2014, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default how to mount the aftermarket amp

Question for you all who have done it, how do you anchor the amplifier to the existing mount? It doesn't fit properly on the top shelf so it's just sitting on top right now. It doesn't move much, but I want it securely fastened. I am thinking zip ties with some drilled holes but it doesn't seem to be an elegant solution...[/QUOTE]

I removed the plastic amp tray to work on it on the bench easier. I cut a couple of 6" pieces of 2x2 lumber and sprayed them black. I screwed these from the sides of the plastic tray and mounted them on top to give clearance over the mounting tabs used for non-existing equipment. This gave a raised platform. Used a couple of wood screws to secure the amp to the 2 x 2 blocks and it worked perfectly. Reinstalled with the amp already installed in place and wired up.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I removed the plastic amp tray to work on it on the bench easier. I cut a couple of 6" pieces of 2x2 lumber and sprayed them black. I screwed these from the sides of the plastic tray and mounted them on top to give clearance over the mounting tabs used for non-existing equipment. This gave a raised platform. Used a couple of wood screws to secure the amp to the 2 x 2 blocks and it worked perfectly. Reinstalled with the amp already installed in place and wired up.
That's basically what we did to install my MoBridge DA1 preamp.

Removed the factory amp shelf, and mounted the MoBridge below the Bose amplifier. We cut a hole in the side of the amp tray for the MoBridge's bypass switch. (Round on/off rocker switch in pic below)

Awesome install work by Russ @ Octave Orlando.

Last edited by subterFUSE; 12-25-2014 at 04:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Subwoofer upgrade complete - and it rocks!