Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Summary: C7 Audi Connect Carriers and Options

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the C7.5 models, I think data is used for HD radio cover art as well.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello, so I have read the great info. Here but I guess have a few questions still because I'm confused about the t-mobile options. So I just got a 2013 A6 and wanted to try the Audi connect services. I live in the Baltimore area and have no current data plan. I was looking at getting a Tracphone Sim but I guess that wouldn't work because I need more than just a sim I need to be on Audi connect to actually connect and use the services or would goggle earth and such just work if I had a activate SIM card?
Old 08-23-2016, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

You must have a sim attached to an active T-Mobile account provider. It can be through Audi Connect itself or you can use one of the other providers like US Mobile that use the T-Mobile network. Once you have a sim activated and it's plan in place you will get all the car's Audi Connect services including Google Earth, online search, etc.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you
Old 08-24-2016, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Dskvid
Hello, so I have read the great info. Here but I guess have a few questions still because I'm confused about the t-mobile options. So I just got a 2013 A6 and wanted to try the Audi connect services. I live in the Baltimore area and have no current data plan. I was looking at getting a Tracphone Sim but I guess that wouldn't work because I need more than just a sim I need to be on Audi connect to actually connect and use the services or would goggle earth and such just work if I had a activate SIM card?
A few questions come to mind.

You need to have an Audi Connect account to activate Audi Connect features like Send to Car. Once activated, you can use any provider. Is that correct? I activated mine with a dealer SIM so I don't know if that is a requirement.

Whether or not the Audi Connect feature is activated, you can use any GSM SIM like AT&T to access Google Maps and Audi Connect information, like Weather and News.

You should see if you have an updated modem to allow for 3G access on non T-Mobile frequencies, although I would ask for the upgrade regardless of use on T-Mobile or not.

Please fact check
Old 08-24-2016, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 1st Time Audi
A few questions come to mind.

You need to have an Audi Connect account to activate Audi Connect features like Send to Car. Once activated, you can use any provider. Is that correct? I activated mine with a dealer SIM so I don't know if that is a requirement.

- Yes, so long as they use the T-Mobile network (or AT&T if the modem is updated).

Whether or not the Audi Connect feature is activated, you can use any GSM SIM like AT&T to access Google Maps and Audi Connect information, like Weather and News.

- Yes. Google Earth overlay (it's not a map), online destination search, etc are Audi Connect features that will work with another T-Mobile provider like US Mobile.

You should see if you have an updated modem to allow for 3G access on non T-Mobile frequencies, although I would ask for the upgrade regardless of use on T-Mobile or not.

- If the modem is updated, only AT&T or T-Mobile 3G. Other 3G networks are not supported by the MMI. The update can only be done if in one of the affected 3G T-Mobile areas and you have an active plan through the Audi Connect website. There are reports that now the free update is only available to original owners who have had the Audi Connect plan continuously since car purchase and have received the letter. Hopefully, this is not true.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my hardware updated to 3G at the dealer. Utilized Audi Connect for 1 month at $25/month, then switched to US Mobile for $11/month. Worked well for a few days and now the screen says 3G, but there are no longer the arrows above it indicating data is transferring in and out. Also, data counter is not moving. Any suggestions? It was working, but not any longer.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Is there any way for you to check your SIM in another device? If the SIM works, then you might be falling into area where I'm lost. My only assumption is that Audi has something on the back end of our new modems to limit carriers - crazy as it sounds.

I have a T-mobile SIM that works in a 2016 loaner, but not my 2012, no matter what APN I try. I have a AT&T SIM that works in my car now, which I use with mobile share and also costs $10/month. Given this, I know hardware works but there's something else holding me back.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jujuC6
Ended up getting a FreedomPop GSM SIM card and can't wait for it to come in. Supposedly the newer GSM SIMs use T-Mobile towers and the old non-GSM uses Sprint CDMA for CDMA phones. Has anyone tried the GSM version Freedompop in their car?
Haha too good to be true. The Freedompop SIM card for tablets came in this weekend. I popped it in but did not see anything happen except that the 2G signal meter is not grayed out anymore and it seems to measure. I did not however see the data transfer signal active at any time. When I tried adding the SIM ID on my Audi connect account it says that the SIM is invalid. At this point I will exchange the SIM for a connected car SIM which I found out Freedompop carries after I received the SIM for tablets, Grrr!

Last edited by jujuC6; 08-29-2016 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jujuC6
Haha too good to be true. The Freedompop SIM card for tablets came in this weekend. I popped it in but did not see anything happen except that the 2G signal meter is not grayed out anymore and it seems to measure. I did not however see the data transfer signal active at any time. When I tried adding the SIM ID on my Audi connect account it says that the SIM is invalid. At this point I will exchange the SIM for a connected car SIM which I found out Freedompop carries after I received the SIM for tablets I got, Grrr!
Unless you already had a myAudi account set up in the past with one of the AC T-Mobile sims, no sim from another provider will be able to be registered on the website.

Quick Reply: Summary: C7 Audi Connect Carriers and Options