Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Summary: C7 Audi Connect Carriers and Options

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jujuC6
So, I tried my FreedomPop SIM this weekend and it did not work :/ I keep seeing the 2G signal meter but no data going through. Just found out that my FP GSM SIM uses T-Mo & ATT LTE towers not 3G like I thought. My C7 is set for T-Mo 3G so this might very well be my problem. I will ask Audi to upgrade my system to the latest hardware which is ATT LTE and try again, then I think it will work.
As has been posted several times, there is no LTE upgrade path for C7 MY2012-2015 LTE. Only the C7 MY2016+ has the different hardware and software to support it. Try a provider that suports T-Mo 3G or if you are in one of the areas where T-Mo has switched their 3G frequency and you are eligible for a modem upgrade, AT&T 3G will also work. But an LTE upgrade? Nope.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i restarted my audi connect. haven't used it in a few years. somehow i got 2 free months/2G just when logging into the account. i had one of the original tmobile sims that came with my car (2013). google earth took a few days to start working for unclear reasons. i can use my app and all the features work. i must have one of the older modems that was in affected area because i have 2G service although i know i used to have 3G service back in 2013. it takes like a minute or so for goggle earth to start working. i am beyond warranty. any way to get the dealer to update my modem or is there even a benefit since I'm going to switch to a usmobile or other carrier when this runs out. thanks for any input and sorry if this question was asked already.
Old 10-08-2016, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by vboolcha
i am beyond warranty. any way to get the dealer to update my modem or is there even a benefit since I'm going to switch to a usmobile or other carrier when this runs out. thanks for any input and sorry if this question was asked already.
If you are in one of the areas affected by the T-Mo 3G band shift, you must have your modem updated or you will be stuck in 2G. US Mobile uses the T-Mo network as would other GSM providers. Your car right now is only compatible with the old T-Mo or AT&T GSM carriers in 2G unless you drive into a T-Mo 3G area not yet updated to the new frequencies. US Mobile, TruPhone, etc. will not be any different.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed this month that the ATT monthly data fee for 1GB has dropped from $20/month to $10/month. There is also an option for 4GB per month for $20, and 10GB per month for $40. A welcome change.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I had TM from day one for the 6 mos trial and all was well, I then used Lycamobile until they did away with their plan. I recently bought a Truphone SIM after a period of no use and have tried to get it to work with zero success even after calls to Audi and Truphone.

The SIM works in my phone so it is enabled.
3G shows on the MMI.
Set APN as truphone.com No username. No password.

No Google maps, No Send to car and no Audi connect.

My Audi Connect web page only shows T Mobile and the customer assistance says they can't help me unless it is a TM SIM.
My 2014 will also work with AT&T and I think that is the network it is seeing.

I really have no idea where to go from here although the Truphone works for others. I would appreciate any pointers or clues as to what to do next, TIA.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I have read for hours and finally tried a solution by SnagIt from 2013 and it worked:

"Snagitseven, thank you very much! It wasn't as simple as reinserting the SIM card, but it worked. I tried reinserting the SIM card, then I changed the APN from truphone.com back to T-mobile (m2m.t-mobile.com), but that didn't work. Then I changed the APN back to truphone.com and at that time it worked.

I tried Google search and worked well. I don't need Google Earth, so my data costs will be low. Google Search is simply awesome and sending destination to my car also is very cool."

Thank you, I was about to superglue my IPad onto the MMI screen!
Old 10-19-2016, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Good thing because it would take a whole lot of superglue.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Ok, I'll try to summarize...

All MY2012/2013 MMI Nav Plus A6 come with a T-Mobile 2G/3G modem (AT&T will also work but only in 2G).
In selected areas, T-Mobile has switched to a newer 3G frequency, If you live in one of those area you will only get 2G speeds. If you live in one of those areas only, Audi will update your modem which will allow all T-Mobile and AT&&T 2G and 3G speeds.
MY2014/2015 already have the newer modems for 2G/3G T-Mo or AT&T.

T-Mo Sims are supplied by the dealer with new car purchase. If you want to use another sim, it will work depending on the carrier and their plan. With T-Mo, some of their sims may work in the car, some will not depending on the plan attached to the sim. If you already have an AT&T plan with your phone, they offer a $10 month family plan which can work at speeds described above. Alternatives are US Mobile, Truphone and others which use the 3G T-Mo or AT&T networks. These sims work without any fanfare and are pay as you go/as you need without commitments.
I have a 2012 MY and have used Truphone with great success for several years, but recently only at 2G speeds, not 3G. Truphone advises that they no longer have a service arrangement with TMobile in the US, and in any event, I know that T Mobile changed its 3G frequencies in my area, so even if I could get T Mobile service, it is only going to work at 2G.
Question is, IF I can convince Audi to upgrade my cellular modem, will AT&T (though TruPhone) work at 3G speeds, or will it only work at 2G on AT&T?

Thanks in advance for any information or advice.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Steve'sA6
I have a 2012 MY and have used Truphone with great success for several years, but recently only at 2G speeds, not 3G. Truphone advises that they no longer have a service arrangement with TMobile in the US, and in any event, I know that T Mobile changed its 3G frequencies in my area, so even if I could get T Mobile service, it is only going to work at 2G.
Question is, IF I can convince Audi to upgrade my cellular modem, will AT&T (though TruPhone) work at 3G speeds, or will it only work at 2G on AT&T?

Thanks in advance for any information or advice.
IF T-Mo has updated the 3G in your area and IF you are the original owner and IF you buy at least one month of Audi Connect/T-Mo, the dealer should get approval to upgrade your modem. Once done, you should then be able switch to any T-Mo or AT&T 3G provider.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snagitseven
IF T-Mo has updated the 3G in your area and IF you are the original owner and IF you buy at least one month of Audi Connect/T-Mo, the dealer should get approval to upgrade your modem. Once done, you should then be able switch to any T-Mo or AT&T 3G provider.
That's great news as I am the original owner and I got a notice when I logged into Audi Connect that due to changes in the T Mobile configuration, 3G service is no longer available.
So, do I press for the upgrade through a dealer or do I need to contact Audi corporate, and if so, any suggestions on who to contact and how?

Thanks much!

Quick Reply: Summary: C7 Audi Connect Carriers and Options