Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Summary: C7 Audi Connect Carriers and Options

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by bkaz
I have a 2012 A6 (2nd owner) and I've never gotten around to using audi connect - mostly because I thought it was TMobile only and we don't have TMobile in Montana.

So am I reading the first post correctly? A 2012 can use TMobile or ATT, but ATT is limited to 2G?
That used to be the case. AT&T 2G speed only used to work with the original MY2012/2013 A6 modem but apparently they have discontinued the 2G band altogether as of Jan 2017 leaving 3G (and 4G LTE compatible only with MY2016+).

For a 2012 or 2013 A6 you would need an updated modem installed by an Audi dealer in order for the MMI to be compatible with AT&T 3G (and T-Mobile's new 3G bands). (MY2014+ already have the updated modem from the factory). So far, dealers would only have access to the necessary parts if you live in an area where T-Mo has upgraded their 3G. Not sure if in an area where there is no T-Mobile - check with your dealer. The updated modem module runs about $450 online and then there would be labor cost to install.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
That used to be the case. AT&T 2G speed only used to work with the original MY2012/2013 A6 modem but apparently they have discontinued the 2G band altogether as of Jan 2017 leaving 3G (and 4G LTE compatible only with MY2016+).

For a 2012 or 2013 A6 you would need an updated modem installed by an Audi dealer in order for the MMI to be compatible with AT&T 3G (and T-Mobile's new 3G bands). (MY2014+ already have the updated modem from the factory). So far, dealers would only have access to the necessary parts if you live in an area where T-Mo has upgraded their 3G. Not sure if in an area where there is no T-Mobile - check with your dealer. The updated modem module runs about $450 online and then there would be labor cost to install.
Thanks for the info... I'm taking it in on Monday for some recall work and I'll ask them about it. $450 + labor probably isn't worth it since I use my phone for all of that anyway.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So my MMI unit was replaced today under warranty. I still have the truphone sim card in it, but now I'm getting 3G service!
Old 02-24-2017, 01:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IF T-Mo has updated the 3G in your area and IF you are the original owner and IF you buy at least one month of Audi Connect/T-Mo, the dealer should get approval to upgrade your modem. Once done, you should then be able switch to any T-Mo or AT&T 3G provider.

I just read this ... to confirm, I am original owner, T-Mo is 3G in Marietta, GA, I have no problem signing up for one month as I do it whenever I travel, so...if I ask the dealer, will I be pretty sure they will update my modem? I guess it's an Audi decision? A little confused here since me dealer is usually reticent about anything they don't have to volunteer.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by hotlips
I just read this ... to confirm, I am original owner, T-Mo is 3G in Marietta, GA, I have no problem signing up for one month as I do it whenever I travel, so...if I ask the dealer, will I be pretty sure they will update my modem? I guess it's an Audi decision? A little confused here since me dealer is usually reticent about anything they don't have to volunteer.
Assuming one has a 2012/2013 C7, in order for the dealer to update the modem at no charge:

a) must be original owner
b) car is still under manf. warranty
c) located in an area where T-Mo has changed their 3G bands (now only receiving 2G)
d) have an active Audi Connect/T-Mo plan
e) dealer receives approval from AoA, has the part and procedure documentation available
Old 02-24-2017, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Assuming one has a 2012/2013 C7, in order for the dealer to update the modem at no charge:

a) must be original owner
b) car is still under manf. warranty
c) located in an area where T-Mo has changed their 3G bands (now only receiving 2G)
d) have an active Audi Connect/T-Mo plan
e) dealer receives approval from AoA, has the part and procedure documentation available

Im the second owner , and do not have an Audi connect account. Mine got updated/replaced but my MMI unit was acting janky .
Old 02-24-2017, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If your MMI 5F module (which includes the modem) was replaced under the manf. warranty in the last year or so due to another confirmed issue, that would be an exception to the rules I posted.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was changing a credit card on my ATT Connect account and I noticed a new option that is now available. It is possible to get unlimited ATT data for $20/month, which is a lot better than 4GB for $20/month. I should probably hook up my house to that account.

When I checked the speed on my wifi connected iPhone, it was very slow. 1 Mbps down, 3 Mbps up.

Last edited by Fithian; 03-28-2017 at 06:37 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Fithian
I was changing a credit card on my ATT Connect account and I noticed a new option that is now available. It is possible to get unlimited ATT data for $20/month, which is a lot better than 4GB for $20/month. I should probably hook up my house to that account.
To be sure a much better deal. I probably would have got that when I got the car some years back. But work provides me with a phone with unlimited everything, including hot spot. So I no longer need to use the car for music streaming, and I don't use the google view maps. If you got free map updates over 3G included in that $20 I'd be all over it.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I added my account to an AT&T plan as a tablet and it works fine. For the pre-facelift models, there sure isn't a huge amount of value, and since it's a slow system, the hotspot doesn't get a ton of use. Very cool on the unlimited though.

Quick Reply: Summary: C7 Audi Connect Carriers and Options