Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Summary: C7 Audi Connect Carriers and Options

Old 12-16-2015, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just get off the phone with AudiConnect, my plan expired after 36 mo, get a USMobile SIM, they change the SIM in my account, but they will NOT activate it.

I can do online search and get google overlay - valid data connection, but myAudi account is locked out.

They (AudiConnect) told me I MUST buy the plan from them, or else !!
Old 12-16-2015, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 13c7a6
Just get off the phone with AudiConnect, my plan expired after 36 mo, get a USMobile SIM, they change the SIM in my account, but they will NOT activate it.

I can do online search and get google overlay - valid data connection, but myAudi account is locked out.

They (AudiConnect) told me I MUST buy the plan from them, or else !!
Yes, that's true - unless you get the T-Mobile account from Audi, you can't use the Audi Connect app. However, even with US Mobile at its much lower cost, you will still have all the car's Audi Connect features. About the only really useful feature from the AC app is send to car (which I can live without).
Old 12-17-2015, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Yes, that's true - unless you get the T-Mobile account from Audi, you can't use the Audi Connect app. However, even with US Mobile at its much lower cost, you will still have all the car's Audi Connect features. About the only really useful feature from the AC app is send to car (which I can live without).
I don't think this is true. I have used send to car many times from the Audi app to send an address to the car from my office, without an active Audi Connect account. As long as the myAudi account is linked to the car and you have 2G/3G connection, this has worked for me.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 1st Time Audi
I don't think this is true. I have used send to car many times from the Audi app to send an address to the car from my office, without an active Audi Connect account. As long as the myAudi account is linked to the car and you have 2G/3G connection, this has worked for me.
How can you not have an active Audi Connect account and have internet connectivity? Unless you meant to write you are using an alternative provider like a US Mobile or Truephone T-Mobile sim and not an account direct from Audi.

Not positive but what I wrote may be true for more recent year models with the new modem. I had seen other posts from those that switched to AT&T with the new modem or MY2014+ that the myAudi app would not work unless they had a AC sub direct from Audi.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I meant that I can use the send to phone through the MMI Connect iPhone app, and not an active paid Audi Connect account, since I connect through my free prepaid T-mobile SIM.

I thought the MyAudi registration and usage was independent of Audi Connect.

If the new 3G updated modem won't allow this, I'll be pretty upset when I get my car back.
Old 12-19-2015, 04:46 PM
f10
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Just installed a US Mobile sim card in my 2014. Changed the APN to pwg and username to [space] but it does not connect. It was working fine with a TMO data sim card (not the audi one).

Any suggestions?

UPDATE: nevermind, i deselected roaming and now it works.

Last edited by f10; 12-19-2015 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 2013 S6 with the cellular radio upgrade installed (additional 3G frequency support).

I had trouble with US Mobile working as well (showing connected but no data would pass, ever). Then the sim card popped out of the holder and was lost in the car, so I gave up on them.

Last week a friend gave me a data-only sim from Google's Project Fi and that worked right away with no issues. Haven't tried the MyAudi account setup, since I never really found it useful in the first 3 years of owning the car. Seems like every time I wanted to use it, something or other had to be reset or resync'd anyway.

Anyway, now I have 3g service in my car again, and no monthly fee.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I just checked the Google Project F1 website and don't see a free monthly data plan - only $10 per month per 1GB for data. Are you sure the sim is only using a paid, unused month's data balance from your friend?
Old 01-02-2016, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I just checked the Google Project F1 website and don't see a free monthly data plan - only $10 per month per 1GB for data. Are you sure the sim is only using a paid, unused month's data balance from your friend?
The data for his Project Fi phone is $10 per gigabyte, but unused data rolls over to the next month in the form of a credit.

So let's say he uses 5.3 gigabytes in a month.. he'd be charged $10 six times, and then credited $7 for the unused 700mb at the end of the month (before being charged $10 for the first gigabyte in the new month).

The data-only SIM itself has no monthly fee, it just consumes the data on his phone plan.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by randmname
Anyway, now I have 3g service in my car again, and no monthly fee.
Originally Posted by randmname
The data for his Project Fi phone is $10 per gigabyte, but unused data rolls over to the next month in the form of a credit.

So let's say he uses 5.3 gigabytes in a month.. he'd be charged $10 six times, and then credited $7 for the unused 700mb at the end of the month (before being charged $10 for the first gigabyte in the new month).

The data-only SIM itself has no monthly fee, it just consumes the data on his phone plan.
Ok, so the 3G data isn't free. (I'm not aware of any provider that specifically charges a a monthly fee for the sim; some charge a one time $1-$4 for it, others none).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Summary: C7 Audi Connect Carriers and Options