Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Summary: C7 Audi Connect Carriers and Options

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I've called and asked them about it, but I'm thinking it shouldn't matter since it worked just fine in the Audi loaner.

Previously, it worked with the default m2m setting.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1st Time Audi
Should be able to as I have gotten the T-mobile prepaid SIM to work in my 2016 loaner.

You start with 200 MB free tablet plan, then I added this for $10:

DATA PLAN: North America 5 Month 5 GB Exclusive Pass (capped)
PLAN PERIOD: 03/15/16 to 08/12/16

T-mobile shows this as my active device: PPiS LTE with ALS6A-US (infotainment system)

I don't think you can start with a free T-Mobile tablet plan (which comes with a 5 month pass), not any longer at least. I just searched through the T-Mobile website and didn't find any such plan. If you have a link to the page on their website, please provide it. There is something similar for a paid monthly plan where you get a certain amount of data free to start, but then they charge you monthly, and you must agree to be charged.. There is no "5 month pass," only daily, weekly or monthly passes. Maybe it was only available to you because you previously had a paid plan?
Old 05-31-2016, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Looks like right now it's an offer at activation. Copied this from my other T-mobile prepaid that doesn't have the 5 month offer:

5 GB for 5 Months: Available on select devices as one-time offer at activation only. 5GB of data is available until depleted or 5 months from date of activation of pass, whichever comes first.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default T-Mobile Issues

I had been having a lot of issues in the Raleigh area and Audi Connect advised that the HW upgrade would need to be applied to my vehicle to accommodate the freq change in our area by T-Mobile. I scheduled an appointment promptly and got the fix done. Unfortunately, this did not do much to alleviate my connectivity issues. I then started reaching out to Audi customer service, Audi Connect customer service and T-Mobile customer service in an effort to see what was going on:

1) First issue I found was the T-Mobile does not advertise their 3G coverage, probably for good reason. The best link I found so far:

OpenSignal: T-Mobile Coverage

2) Audi Connect flat out said they cannot help me and they will not re-imburse any part of my pre-paid 30 month 3G data plan.

3) Audi Customer service seemed to be surprised that I was not offered AT&T option when module upgrade was done. But they agreed it wouldn't have mattered anyway since I was already in the middle of a commitment due to end in December of next year. This was the only customer support team that seemed to care at all and were willing to file a formal complaint on my behalf with Audi. I proceeded to do so.

4) Coverage with my personal AT&T sim-card from my phone was spectacular just about anywhere.

5) Just because T-Mobile advertises an area to have 4G coverage does not mean 3G is automatically available. From the above link, you will notice that 3G coverage is pretty horrible just about anywhere outside of heavily populated area.

Right now, if you buy a used 2012/2013 A6 you must first do the HW upgrade and then use AT&T service for any kind of reliable coverage. This was my first time with T-Mobile and also the last time. Very disappointed that there is no viable recourse from this useless T-Mobile plan. I hope others don't end up making the same mistake I did. Good luck.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Did you check to see if the IMEI had changed with the new modem? If it changed, you might have to call T-Mo to have the sim hand shake updated.
I did not need to call. However, not sure if Dealer may have done anything to make it work after the install.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Just wondering, if you were having issues with T-Mobile in your area, why did you sign up and commit to their 30 month plan?
Not all areas have issues with T-Mobile. Pretty much anywhere in Southern New England, T-Mobile 3G is as good as AT&T. I can confirm this since I have T-Mo in the car and AT&T on my phone.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just wondering, if you were having issues with T-Mobile in your area, why did you sign up and commit to their 30 month plan?
Not all areas have issues with T-Mobile. Pretty much anywhere in Southern New England, T-Mobile 3G is as good as AT&T. I can confirm this since I have T-Mo in the car and AT&T on my phone.
Actually, I did use a prepaid sim card to test out the service in the beginning which worked fine. However, what I had not considered was how poor it would be along the freeways which is where, as it turns out, I really need it.

Also, it looks like service has degraded tremendously even locally since the frequency update for 3G by T-Mobile in my area. Overall, I think I committed a mistake in trusting T-Mobile's service level. I just want to make sure others don't commit the same mistake I did and that is why I posted the link to their 2G/3G coverage maps.
Old 06-16-2016, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KickAss
Actually, I did use a prepaid sim card to test out the service in the beginning which worked fine. However, what I had not considered was how poor it would be along the freeways which is where, as it turns out, I really need it.

Also, it looks like service has degraded tremendously even locally since the frequency update for 3G by T-Mobile in my area. Overall, I think I committed a mistake in trusting T-Mobile's service level. I just want to make sure others don't commit the same mistake I did and that is why I posted the link to their 2G/3G coverage maps.
My 2013 still has the old cellular radio in it (old T-mobile frequencies). Called my dealer who said they HAVE swapped out some cellular radios in my area under the service campaign however I needed a letter from T-mobile/audi to get it paid for.

I'm currently just using a T-mobile data plan, not Audi Connect. The radio swap is $1,000, I think Audi Connect for 30 months is $450 (I think). Does anyone know if signing UP for Audi Connect would get me a letter authorizing the radio swap?
Old 06-16-2016, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by cschmelz
I'm currently just using a T-mobile data plan, not Audi Connect. The radio swap is $1,000, I think Audi Connect for 30 months is $450 (I think). Does anyone know if signing UP for Audi Connect would get me a letter authorizing the radio swap?
As was posted previously, you can sign up for as little as one month of Audi Connect T-Mo and after the upgrade, switch the sim back to another provider/plan.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As was posted previously, you can sign up for as little as one month of Audi Connect T-Mo and after the upgrade, switch the sim back to another provider/plan.

How do I sign up for the Audi Connect plan? Dealer only or avail online?

Quick Reply: Summary: C7 Audi Connect Carriers and Options