Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

TDI owners - how does your brake pedal feel?

Old 05-25-2016, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TDI owners - how does your brake pedal feel?

Ever since I got the car (16k miles ago), the brake pedal always felt... spongy. That is not to say it does not grab the brakes - it grabs well and consistently but it feels like there is not a lot of feedback from the pedal.

I did a brake job about 500 miles ago (myself) and I thought the feeling was exaggerated with the new pads/rotor install though I did not bleed the system (but did siphon a bit to prevent spillage). However the system has no air in it as far as I can tell (drive + pump brakes = pedal remains consistent and does not get harder which would imply air bubbles). Now, 500 miles later, the pedal has gone to feel the same as it did before I did the brakes so perhaps that is normal...

Opinions? Feedback?
Old 05-25-2016, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Mine's perfect. Firm and progressive. Great brakes. I think you've got some air in there even with pumping the brakes. Audi recommends a flush every 2 years.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I have a TFSI and mine does not feel like you have described and I am of the opinion that they should not be feeling that way. Mine are firm and hard, no pun intended. There is no sponginess to the brakes in my vehicle. "Spongy" is typically a symptom of air in the system. If not in the brake lines it could be trapped in one of the junctions. It does not take a lot of air to have the symptom you describe. I have not done a lot of hydraulic bleeding on cars but have done a **** ton over the past 42 years on bikes. Spongy clutch or brakes typically meant there were tiny bubbles somewhere that need to be erradicated. I would have the hydraulics completely bled and I bet that your problem goes away. At least I hope so. Good luck!
Old 05-25-2016, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like air in the lines. If you want to borrow my mitivac pressure bleeder, let me know.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My 2014 TDI has firm pedal, none of what you describe, sure sounds like air in the lines or master cylinder.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hrm. Funny enough - the guys at Stevens Creek Audi have bled my brakes 10k miles ago and themselves said that the brakes on the TDIs feel softer than the rest!
Old 05-25-2016, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by McFuzz
Hrm. Funny enough - the guys at Stevens Creek Audi have bled my brakes 10k miles ago and themselves said that the brakes on the TDIs feel softer than the rest!
So did they qualify that statement with a reason or cause? Do TDI's have different braking systems?
Old 05-25-2016, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DanfZX14
So did they qualify that statement with a reason or cause? Do TDI's have different braking systems?
They did not. BUT - I drove down to a shop I trust and after driving my car, they smacked me upside the head and said it was all up in my head. Their evaluation indicates the brakes grab well, pedal feel is normal and while there is a bit of free play from top-position of pedal till the brakes grab, since there is no resistance it appears to be normal to the car.

/shrug
Old 05-25-2016, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by NABS4
Mine's perfect. Firm and progressive. Great brakes. Audi recommends a flush every 2 years.
Plus 1 with my 2015. Great brakes.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by McFuzz
They did not. BUT - I drove down to a shop I trust and after driving my car, they smacked me upside the head and said it was all up in my head. Their evaluation indicates the brakes grab well, pedal feel is normal and while there is a bit of free play from top-position of pedal till the brakes grab, since there is no resistance it appears to be normal to the car.

/shrug

I hate when the mechanic "smacks me upside the head"!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TDI owners - how does your brake pedal feel?