Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

TDI Owners - use OEM AdBlue fluid or...?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TDI Owners - use OEM AdBlue fluid or...?

I figured I should stock up on my AdBlue fluid but before I splurge on the OEM stuff, was wondering if I could go with aftermarket and if so - any specific brand to go with?

For example - found this on Amazon:

Amazon.com: BlueDEF DEF002 Diesel Exhaust Fluid - 2.5 Gallon Jug: Automotive Amazon.com: BlueDEF DEF002 Diesel Exhaust Fluid - 2.5 Gallon Jug: Automotive

Thanks!
Old 03-03-2015, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OEM here. The AdBlue system seems a bit sensitive to try something else.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by McFuzz
I figured I should stock up on my AdBlue fluid but before I splurge on the OEM stuff, was wondering if I could go with aftermarket and if so - any specific brand to go with?

Amazon.com: BlueDEF DEF002 Diesel Exhaust Fluid - 2.5 Gallon Jug: Automotive

Thanks!
This is a good price and I would buy it and use it if I hadn't signed up for Audi Care which includes AdBlue as part of each 10,000 mile service. The Amazon ad talks about using a gallon every 300 miles which must be for large truck diesels. Our AdBlue tanks are 4.5 gallons and I just had my 15,000 mile service done without having to add fluid since my 5000 mile service, meaning 2500 miles or so per gallon is what you can expect.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Here's a couple of TDI forums that are active. You should be able to find diesel engine answers there.

VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze diesel forum

TDIClub Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Old 03-03-2015, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks!
I use that same brand (get it at Walmart for same price) to occasionally top off my TDI and also my wife's ML Bluetec.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks!
I use the Amazon BlueDEF as referenced. The amazon is fine as its ISO 22241 compliant, some use a transmission funnel to avoid a bit of spillage with the included hose in the package which I guess does help, but, its completely optional. I filled both ways and it was ok.

At my 15K service, used about 4 gallons to refill the system. Also, the service manual says you need to do an adaptation after refilling, I didn't do this and still haven't gotten any warnings. Think that information is dated.

The BlueDEF has a shelf life of 2 years in optimal conditions so consider that before stocking up.

Other note regarding Amazon (and your 15K service needs, I'd guess):
1) The Pennzoil Ultra Euro L is subscribe and save available. Might want to check that out at the same time.
2) MAHLE Original LAK 667
3) MAHLE Original LX 2049/4
4) Mahle OX420DECO - OK price w/Subscribe Save (no crush washer)

Alternative Sources:
Still trying to find source in the US for the fuel filter (Mahle KL 915), I had to buy Audi original ($40 at dealer). The Mahle partno isn't in distributors computers in the US yet.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 2014a6tdi
I use the Amazon BlueDEF as referenced. The amazon is fine as its ISO 22241 compliant, some use a transmission funnel to avoid a bit of spillage with the included hose in the package which I guess does help, but, its completely optional. I filled both ways and it was ok.

At my 15K service, used about 4 gallons to refill the system. Also, the service manual says you need to do an adaptation after refilling, I didn't do this and still haven't gotten any warnings. Think that information is dated.

The BlueDEF has a shelf life of 2 years in optimal conditions so consider that before stocking up.

Other note regarding Amazon (and your 15K service needs, I'd guess):
1) The Pennzoil Ultra Euro L is subscribe and save available. Might want to check that out at the same time.
2) MAHLE Original LAK 667
3) MAHLE Original LX 2049/4
4) Mahle OX420DECO - OK price w/Subscribe Save (no crush washer)

Alternative Sources:
Still trying to find source in the US for the fuel filter (Mahle KL 915), I had to buy Audi original ($40 at dealer). The Mahle partno isn't in distributors computers in the US yet.
Thanks for the input!

Re oil - Have you (or anyone) tried using Total? My buddy runs a little side business importing european oils (including Total/Elf) for the local AutoX community and I've been buying Total oil off him for all my gasoline cars...
Old 03-04-2015, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the input!

Re oil - Have you (or anyone) tried using Total? My buddy runs a little side business importing european oils (including Total/Elf) for the local AutoX community and I've been buying Total oil off him for all my gasoline cars...
I don't know anything about oil. I stay with the cheapest major synthetic I can find. Has worked out well for me so far. I'm unsure with modern API standards there is that much difference between them except for extended drain and I'm unwilling to do that.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 2014a6tdi
I don't know anything about oil. I stay with the cheapest major synthetic I can find. Has worked out well for me so far. I'm unsure with modern API standards there is that much difference between them except for extended drain and I'm unwilling to do that.
Or you could not gamble and instead choose the highest quality diesel-specific oil recommended by the manufacturer.
Attached Images  
Old 03-04-2015, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Rjim
Or you could not gamble and instead choose the highest quality diesel-specific oil recommended by the manufacturer.
What makes this the highest quality TDI diesel-specific oil exactly? Does the VW 507.00 Certification mean different things? Like there is a high grade and a low grade?

As I said, I don't know anything about oil, nor differences between VW 507 oils, so thanks for jumping in to let us all know.

Quick Reply: TDI Owners - use OEM AdBlue fluid or...?