Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Tire newby

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick61
In addition, Tire rack, by virtue of offering a MUCH larger sample size of reviews removes a lot - albeit not all - of the bias in rating tires. Big different when you have 50, 100, 200+ reviews per tire vs 3 people here having driven it. When a large number of people rate the tire in terms of specific characteristics, individual bias is mainly eliminated. The power of large vs small sample sizes
Yes, there is power in large sample quant data, but the kind of bias from which the Tire Rack survey most suffers, inter-rater reliability, does not benefit from increasing the sample size. We will never know if the rating by one model of tire owners of their own tire is comparable to any others in the same segment. These are discrete ratings only of each person's own tires, so comparisons are suspect, no matter what n equals. This is exacerbated when comparing between segments where differences in criteria could be expected to be even greater, although not quantified.

Originally Posted by Maverick61
to be accurate, they did not say there were clearly better choices. They said it was acceptable, if not category leading.

So to me, that says some tires tested better - so no argument there. How much better is not mentioned so we can dismiss your "clearly better choices". The bottom line is this - Tire rack's test showed this was an acceptable tire with acceptable performance. Now someone can weigh these test results as well as the price of this tire against a tire that performed better and make their own decision.
This may just be semantics, although I admittedly did draw a conclusion rather than quote them. More than one other tire was more highly rated and the results were unambiguous, ergo, it is clear that there are better choices. "Clearly", as the adverb, does not imply degree of difference, only that there is no doubt that more than one superior alternative exists. On a $60,000 Audi (vs a $30,000 Honda Accord at half the price), one might expect a pursuit of excellence among this forum's members for some of the most critical parts on the vehicle.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sportstick
On a $60,000 Audi (vs a $30,000 Honda Accord at half the price), one might expect a pursuit of excellence among this forum's members for some of the most critical parts on the vehicle.

I have to agree with this. It is one of main reasons I just dropped $2k on a set of tires a and wheels. Now that might not sound like a lot of money to many folks here, but it is a considerable amount to me and I have never spend that much on tires or wheels in my life.

I really do believe that this $60k car deserves some great wheels on it.

Good luck, and let us know what you go with. I went with the DSW06 due to my preference for a well rounded all season tire that also performs well in winter conditions.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sportstick
On a $60,000 Audi (vs a $30,000 Honda Accord at half the price), one might expect a pursuit of excellence among this forum's members for some of the most critical parts on the vehicle.
I have no problem with however people want to spend their money. But we should not assume they want to spend their money like each of our own personal preferences. Nor should we assume everyone's idea of excellence is the same as our own.

And expensive does not always equal better.

People who use the large amount of data Tire Rack provides are in a better position to make an informed decision on the factors most important to them. And that is what counts in my book

Last edited by Maverick61; 05-05-2016 at 08:06 PM.