Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Tire pressure monitoring system in 2012/2013 A6

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 02:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Well, that's good to know on the C7. Not as cool as the A8 which shows the PSI of each tire but still better than just a single tire low pressure light on my B8 A4.
So the C7 doesn't display the PSI for each tire?
Old 08-10-2013, 03:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It does not. And while that seems small it was almost a deal breaker for me. My last 7 cars have all shown the TPMS pressure in each tire on the screen. I am extremely **** about tire pressure and honestly check it every morning when I get in car to go to work and when I leave to come home. I do not want to know when a tire is down 20%, I want to know when it is down 2-3 PSI form where I set it. I understand it saves Audi a few bucks per car, but then leave the capability in the car and let me buy the TPMS senders for the wheels. Also most of the non direct versions are dependent on you setting/resetting the measurement point and then they tend to be varying in at what point they will tell you about an issue. I have been looking at third part add-ons, but most don't get great reviews and are kludgy installs inside the car.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a C6 with the sensors, and liked it. With my C7 however, after I decided to get multiple sets of wheels for different driving seasons, I dreaded the expense and potential headaches/breakage of additional sensors with tires that were changed a couple times per year.

The passive ones work fine for me. I carry a gauge in the glove box, check pressure once a month. A couple times when they've activated it was in the 20 - 25% range (from 38psi to 28 - 30). Carry an electric pump in the trunk.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Future2012A6
So the C7 doesn't display the PSI for each tire?
As previously noted, it will not. However, it does let you know which tire is low.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JRomulus
I had a C6 with the sensors, and liked it. With my C7 however, after I decided to get multiple sets of wheels for different driving seasons, I dreaded the expense and potential headaches/breakage of additional sensors with tires that were changed a couple times per year.

The passive ones work fine for me.
Agreed. I too have a second set of wheels / tires for winter and am very happy we have the passive setup - and do not need a second set of sensors. No issues with the passive set-up from my perspective. They main purpose is to alert you when you are driving if you have an issue, For routine maintenance, I simply pull out the gauge and spend 2 minutes checking the pressure once a month
Old 08-12-2013, 02:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
As previously noted, it will not. However, it does let you know which tire is low.
That's a bit disappointing. Not a deal breaker though. Thanks. I had an online chat with Audi moments ago about this and they said there is no released information that any changes are forthcoming to the system either. I also asked the following:

"David says:
Does Audi ever review any of the Audi Forum websites? It's a great source for what owners are talking about both positive and negative.

Lisa B. says:
No only because it is not reliable information. We do take any positive or negative feedback that is provided directly to us via our offical website through email, chat or calling us directly. Anyone can post those comments so it is better documented when we know we are speaking directly with the owner. "

Interesting.

Last edited by Future2012A6; 08-12-2013 at 03:07 AM.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Future2012A6
That's a bit disappointing. Not a deal breaker though. Thanks. I had an online chat with Audi moments ago about this and they said there is no released information that any changes are forthcoming to the system either.
There are advantages to passive systems. One is cost, the other is reliability. The 'active' systems have batteries on each sensor, and these are usually non-replaceable. So, when the battery dies, the owner is out about 150 per tire for parts cost (new TPMS sensor) plus labor to remove tire/replace sensor/rebalance. I read somewhere that Audi in particular had a bunch of unhappy customers of used cars who suddenly found that they had to pay 500+ to replace sensors on their cars. The passive system does not have this issue. Also, for those with winter/summer tire sets, passive systems are advantageous since the winter tire/rim combo is monitored for low pressure without requiring moving tires to rims with sensors. The passive system uses components already in the car (abs sensors) and removes the requirement for antennae, pressure transducers, etc.

For those who miss their tire pressure readings badly enough (I liked that on my infiniti, but not enough to get a system) you can buy aftermarket pressure transducers and a display. The whole kit is in the 150 dollar range (plus installation).
Old 08-16-2013, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mikem33
... Also, for those with winter/summer tire sets, passive systems are advantageous since the winter tire/rim combo is monitored for low pressure without requiring moving tires to rims with sensors. The passive system uses components already in the car (abs sensors) and removes the requirement for antennae, pressure transducers, etc.

For those who miss their tire pressure readings badly enough (I liked that on my infiniti, but not enough to get a system) you can buy aftermarket pressure transducers and a display. The whole kit is in the 150 dollar range (plus installation).
+1
Old 08-16-2013, 04:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mikem33
There are advantages to passive systems. One is cost, the other is reliability. The 'active' systems have batteries on each sensor, and these are usually non-replaceable. So, when the battery dies, the owner is out about 150 per tire for parts cost (new TPMS sensor) plus labor to remove tire/replace sensor/rebalance. I read somewhere that Audi in particular had a bunch of unhappy customers of used cars who suddenly found that they had to pay 500+ to replace sensors on their cars. The passive system does not have this issue. Also, for those with winter/summer tire sets, passive systems are advantageous since the winter tire/rim combo is monitored for low pressure without requiring moving tires to rims with sensors. The passive system uses components already in the car (abs sensors) and removes the requirement for antennae, pressure transducers, etc.

Good points. Thanks for the perspective. There must be a different type of system on my 2006 Chrysler 300c because it shows the pressure per wheel and they're still going strong (fingers crossed). 😳
Old 09-22-2013, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default TPMS Save

Woke up on the eastern shore of Maryland with a 'low left rear' TPMS warning and stopped to put air in...was down just a couple of pounds and I did not see a problem with the tire.
Got across the Bay heading west on US/Va 58 between I-95 and I-85 when the warning came back on.
Googled for tire stores in South Hill cause I REALLY wanted this tire looked at before I got on I-85 heading south.
It was only down a few pounds again but the dude pulled the tire off and found a pencil sized screw in a tread block...pulled it out, plugged it and put the tire back on (with a torque wrench, thank you) and charged me $5.
Thank you TPMS...I doubt that tire would have been salvageable had it lost air on I-85 at 80mph!
2,000 miles later tire still holding air.

Quick Reply: Tire pressure monitoring system in 2012/2013 A6